“Cooked breakfast with a smile”

The Watch House Barn And Coffee Shop
Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Cowes
United Kingdom
“Cooked breakfast with a smile”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Six friends renting a nearby house needing a breakfast and feeling lazy. Perfect.
No frills but fantastic friendly efficient service. No problem with ordering off menu.
My personal judge of a cafe, is arm I allowed just hot water for my own unusual tea choice I carry with me, and yes, no problem and no charge. Well done The Watchhouse.

Visited July 2014

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“Lovely ladies - but in need of a spruce up!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We had visited Cowes today - the first nice day of the spring. As it was so nice, this restaurant had a lot of competition. We were drawn in by the attractive and fair priced menu. We ordered the dish of the day-trout with seasonal veg, roast pork and scampi and chips. All main courses "come with dessert of the day". Today it was chocolate sponge. My mum didnt want chocolate sponge so they gladly served ice cream when asked
As other reviewers have said, the food is good. Lovely big portions and HOT!. But the restaurant could do with a good tidy up. The carpet could probably be removed to reveal floorboards. The tables were sticky. I did see a waitress cleaning another table with a cleaning spray but maybe they need to change the brand!
I am confident the kitchen is clean as it had a 5 out of 5 score from the local council for food hygiene
Probably not very pushchair or wheelchair friendly due to small space but I get the impression that the waitresses - certainly those ladies serving today - will do all they can to help
I am not sure I would visit again as there are lots of other similar establishments in walking distance

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank trefoil9
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Really good chritmas dinner at a good price”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Went to watch house barn for Christmas dinner, which also included Christmas pudding and a glass of wine the cost was very reasonable at 7.50. The food was cooked well and was filling with better than average wine. It holds around 20 people and has a train which circles above the room. Staff seemed helpful and pleasant.

• Visited December 2013
“Nice people but very dirty”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Decent enough food and pleasant service, but the place is very grubby, especially the toilets, and smells strongly of grease. I spent most of my time there wanting to leave.

Can't recommend due to the number of other cafes in walking distance. I would likely not return unless a peek through the window suggested they'd cleaned the place up a bit.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank ToastedOwl
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
“Grubby Cafe but with nice plain grub.”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We were passing through Cowes on our way back to the ferry and looking for some afternoon eats. We'd missed the closing of most eateries but found the Watch House still open.

It's an "Only in Britain" type cafe. Somewhat grubby - particularly when you have to head to the loos. However the kitchen must be in better nick as they have 5 out of 5 on the health inspection certificate.

We did not get off to a good start when my daughter and I ordered thick shakes. What turned up were two glasses of weak milk with grit in them. I pointed out they were not quite right, which resulted in our surly teen waitress (Isle of Wight seems to have a lot of surly waitresses for some reason) said, "don't you want them?", snatched them away and disappeared, never to be heard from again.

I was able to flag down one of the more mature ladies working that day, and it was like chalk and cheese. She was very helpful, put things to right and had personality to spare.

You won't go hungry here. My wife had coronation chicken baked spud, my daughter had lasagne and chips (lots of chips) and I a home made steak and kidney pie with another mountain of chips.

We rounded off with some cake - not quite as moist as it looked, but again plentiful and certainly edible.

So the place is not fine cuisine, but there's plenty to choose from on the menu and the prices are reasonable. If you've a hunger to fill and don't mind some frayed edges to your dining experience then head to some unpretentious British Grub at The Watch House.

• Visited November 2013