“Just gets better and better”
Review of Brawn's of Cowes - CLOSED

Brawn's of Cowes
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A Modern European Restaurant in Cowes Brawns is a small, intimate European Restaurant, located in the old quarter of Cowes town. Set in a Grade two listed Georgian building, sympathetically converted a few years ago. Charles Paul, owner and Chef, was trained in London, and having done a stage at the Fat Duck in Bray, went on to work for a high class restaurant in Cambridge. His inspiration for the food is to use high quality, fresh seasonal produce, locally sourced where possible. Diners will always find brasserie favourites on the a la carte menu, as well as some more modern offerings. The specials will change on a daily basis, to ensure there is something new to tempt you. Those looking for tasty food at excellent value can also choose from the set price midweek menu. The wine list will be small, but has been carefully chosen to compliment the food. Those on a budget will not be disappointed by the more affordable wines, as they have still been selected to impress.
Cowes, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just gets better and better”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My third visit to Brawns and it keeps on getting better and better. Front of house was very welcoming and the ambience of the restaurant very relaxed and friendly. I had calamari followed by rabbit and both dishes were attractively presented with very fresh produce and an attention to detail which made the dining experience a highly memorable one. It's great to have a restaurant in Cowes which you know you can recommend to your friends and it will be everything that you promised.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Kate K

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Simply brilliant a taste sensation”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Absolutely first class. Lovely bread. Butternut squash starter was out of this world, every spoonful was magical.

• Visited April 2014
Cowes
“Breams can come true!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I visited Brawns on a busy saturday evening this month. I had heard great things around the town about the food, wine and service. The quality of the food didn't disappoint, the calamari starter i could sea octoputting the place on the map!!

My next course was the sea bream which my and my partner both thoroughly enjoyed, all the members of staff including the owner seemed delightful and appear to have the work ethic (coupled with the skill) to make Brawns cowes' premier eating establishment.

The warm atmosphere and fantastic wine made for a fantastic evening and I would happily reccomend eating here to anyone that is after a great atmosphere coupled with a superb menu, i assure you it won't be a misteak!

I'm looking forward to going back myself!!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Hannah L
Cowes, United Kingdom
“Expensive, but great food..”
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Decided to try the new Brawn's with my boyfriend on a Tuesday night. We were the only ones in, not especially surprising for mid-week. The food was very very good. The bread was fantastic, very fresh and malty, my starter of butternut squash velouté with crispy sage and pistou blew me away, it was a taste sensation. My vegetarian main course was tortellini, and I was just praying it was going to be homemade for £13, and it was. My pudding (choc mousse with honeycomb) is still playing on my mind, it was a thing of beauty, a texture I can't describe. We got chatting to the front of house guy after our meal and asked him how they were getting on. He seemed concerned that they were so quiet in the week. He also said people had been complaining about the prices. We did think it was pricey (mains £13-£18) but the food was a notch above so this isn't a problem for us - we like to treat ourselves to something special occasionally. My opinion is that they should have changed the name/re-branded. It looks fairly humble (although they have done a great job smartening it up), but it is still small and doesn't feel grand. I actually like this about it but I think people expect a grander setting when prices such as these are charged. Understandably people are still expecting it to be in a similar price range to the previous Brawn's (who served tapas) - but they are doing a completely different style/quality and I think that changing the name if the restaurant would have made this obvious.

Word of mouth is important in Cowes and I really hope word gets round that they are cooking some very high quality food. Good luck to them.

1 Thank Rachel S
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“The place to go for great food and lovely ambiance”
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

A new Resturant but it doesn't feel like it. Quality and presentation excellent. Split between two rooms the back one is more intimate but both good. Staff very attentive and Charlie the chef owner has got it right. Mojacs which we visited the night before watch out for that top spot because Brawn's in our view has the edge on style, taste and ambiance. Most defiantly would dine there again and again and.......a must go and visit if you have not yet.

Visited April 2014