“Perfect evening in a lovely restaurant”
Review of Number 3

Number 3
Ranked #5 of 63 Restaurants in Cowes
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An intimate restaurant tucked away in the old town of Cowes.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I along with parents-in-law visited Number 3 last night for dinner on a Sunday night. We had come across Number 3 on tripadvisor and we had looked at the menu when wandering through Cowes earlier in the week and had already picked off the menu from the chalkboard on show outside.
Whilst there is 'limited' a la carte menu, every dish sounded so inviting, it was more that difficult to choose what to have. I personally prefer having a few less dishes done really well than a long menu just trying to cater to the masses. Both my husband and I could have had every one of the starters!
3 of us chose the scallops with mint and pea mousse and it was simply divine. It just shows what fresh produce, cooked well can deliver. Wow is all i'll say! My MOL had the crab mousse and made lots of 'mmmmmmm' noises so she was happy too.
Two of then picked the seabass with spicy lemon grass and two went for the monkfish with sweet potato. I had the seabass and honestly, it was just wonderful. I've eaten at a lot of top restaurants in London and it totally rivals anythign I've eaten there. The spicy lemongrass was just fantastic, and the seabass was so delicate.
My husband enjoyed the monkfish as it's a more meaty fish and we had some green vegetables to share between the table.
For dessert my husband and I had the salted chocolate caramel mousse and the in-laws had the chilli chocolate mousse. All bowls were scraped clean!
The host/restaurant owner was so welcoming and chatty and looked after us so well. Her husband is the chef and you could spot a smiley face from the kitchen as we sent compliments to the chef for what had been a fantastic meal. The meal was well priced and good value for a really fab meal.
Do make sure you go if you're visiting the area.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Having read the positive reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to give them a try on our recent visit to the IOW. When we called to book a table for a romantic night, quite understandably they were busy on a Friday night, however, they confirmed a table in our name. After arranging a baby sitter, when we arrived in time for our booking we were met by a rude lady who bluntly told us our table was no longer available. At first both my wife and myself thought she was joking, but she very clear about the table not being available any more.

Taken aback by the manner in which we were turned away we walked away quite bemused. Luckily for us we stumbled across a fantastic little place just round the corner called Brawns who do a great Tapas and looked after us for the evening.

Whether they do good food or not, I would not recommend eating at a place that cancels your booking, for whatever reason. Although I suspect that the couple that walked in just before us were locals and they were given our table. Avoid..

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Open daily from 6pm onward. The restaurant has a limited but excellent a la carte menu, seafoods-focused, with a wide range of wine list and not too expensive. The couple running the place were friendly and pleasant. Very reasonable prices for the quality of cooking!

1  Thank Jane Y
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We came across number 3 by chance looking for an evening meal on Monday 2 Sept, we found this small discrete bistro and had a wonderful meal of Lamb loin, and Lamb Moroccan style followed by a shared bread and butter pud. We choose a pink wine which was wonderfully dry and fruity, a super meal in a busy restaurant even on a Monday night.

One not to be missed small but perfectly formed seats 18 to 20 with two tables outside a real gem we will return.

1  Thank Joy P
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had a wonderful meal here,lovely food and great service..not over the top but just right!The sort of restaurant you wouldn't feel out of place dressed in a suit or in jeans. Wonderful puddings.. We will be back!