“Wonderful Chowder!”
Review of The Union Inn

The Union Inn
Ranked #7 of 28 Cowes B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 31, 2013

A lovely and friendly place to eat. The seafood chowder is a great surprise! It was delicious. The staff are friendly.
It's worth a visit if you visit Cowes.
We didn't stay at the inn but had lunch on the pub.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jcdreamer74
There are newer reviews for The Union Inn

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Popped in for a drink on Sunday afternoon, it wasn't too crowded and we were able to get a table straight away. Great service from the two girls on the bar. The drinks were well priced, and the lines were clean - great beer!! Food was lovely, and didn't take long to arrive. Big portions from a chef that obviously takes pride in his job. Presentation was outstanding!

Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank seanwtaylor
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Union Inn gave us a lovely room: modern British decor, rain shower, good firm mattress and a charming view. It's also a proper local, with a cozy interior, well-pulled pints, proper pub food, personable staff, a lovely full English in the morning and, yes, the noise from midnight to 2 am. And a little pricy at £109, but then it's Cowes. We expected the price and noise both, though (what else will you have when you stay directly above a pub), and would happily stay again - in fact hope to do so, soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kennington H
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Can in for a quick snack which turned into 3 course, this place has came a long which since it was taken over. Amazing specials had a chat with the chef mike and he is doing a great job. Makes a change to See places growing in cowes I will be returning and look forward to it. Great job keep it up

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank SteveJ76
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Close to the seafront, this quirky Inn has a lot to offer. My bedroom had lots of appeal and was well decorated in a quirky kind of way. Tea/coffee with some water and home made biscuits were good to see in the room. Bed was comfortable and amazingly it was quiet. It was a hot hot day and I thought so much had been thoughtfully put in the room surely there would be a fan - and thank goodness there was as no air conditioning. I slept well. The only reason I am not giving this a four is that I thought the food was average. Not a great choice and could have been better. Breakfast better.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AnnaRz123
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We were in Cowes for a wedding with our two young ones, and the staff could not have been more accommodating. We had forgotten our baby monitor, and they said it was the sort of thing which would be useful, and went out and bought one for us to use!
Aside from that, really good food and well kept beer in a proper pub. Rooms really nice, and no noise from the bar in the evenings. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tim R
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I can see that a lot of effort has been made to ensure the rooms above this pub are of a very high standard. Sadly, the finer points are greatly lacking.

We were greeted by a polite and friendly member of staff who took us to our room.
The room was unbearably hot, but during a heat wave, that can be forgiven.
The room was very small, but adequate for what we needed.
The TV did not work. A problem that was already known about according to one of the staff. When I mentioned it, in fairness, we were offered a different room, but it was late and we couldn't be bothered.
The beds were comfy, but due to the heat, it was difficult to get to sleep. Once asleep, I don't usually wake up until late. However, right outside the room's window, there's a flat roof which is over the pub. At half eight (might have been slightly later), there was the sound of sweeping coming from the roof. Then workmen talking. Then the sounds of an electric saw cutting wood. All within 6 feet of the window, which in turn was less than two feet from my bed.
When it came to packing, most of my things which were near the window were covered with a thin layer of sawdust which had come through the window.
We then had breakfast which was just ok.
On checking out, I mentioned the problems, specifically being woken up by workmen. The lady asked if it was definitely the Union Inn's workmen or was it workmen from a different building and started spouting names of buildings and streets I'd never heard of. I asked if the roof outside our window was the Union Inn's and was told it was. She then said that she made sure the workmen didn't start work until 9am, not the 8.30am start that I'd suggested. I said I'm sure it was that early, she chose to argue and said that they were painting downstairs at that time. Regardless of the time, it shouldn't have happened!
We were offered no apology, no discount, nothing. Just arguments about the time the work began.
We will not return.

• Stayed: July 2013
8  Thank Craigyb85
Olivia A, Owner at The Union Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Hi
I am extremely sorry that you didn't feel we were up to the job. As mentioned, I was aware of the problem with the TV but had only been told that day and I was trying to get an engineer to come and fix it. I did offer another room to you, but since all the rooms are linked to the same ariel it probably wouldn't have been any better!

We have had maintenance works going on in the building since March and this is the first complaint we have had. As check out is at 10am most people are normally up and about or eating breakfast at about 9am so it isn't a problem, and as it is a very old building most people understand that maintenance works are necessary. We have now finished the maintenance works. I am, of course, very sorry that the builders disturbed your lie in and that the staff member involved didn't handle the situation very well and I will ensure that this won't happen again.

Thank you for taking the time to review us.
Olivia