“Really nice pub with good food”
Review of Union Inn Pub

Union Inn Pub
Ranked #21 of 63 Restaurants in Cowes
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We were in Cowes for a half-term weekend with the kids. Having been stung elsewhere in Cowes the night before with an expensive but average meal, we were very happily surprised with the Union Inn. It's not much to look at from the outside, but the atmosphere inside, the friendly staff and the really good food (not posh but good honest pub grub - when's the last time you had a pint of really good prawns) make this a place we shall return to and I heartily recommend.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Very friendly staff, and warming atmosphere all round. Have eaten a couple of times here, and both times food has been wonderful. Steak Burger was certainly the best burger I've had in recent memory, and served with a exceptional rarity - homemade chips! A nice touch that I certainly noticed, even if my partner didn't! I'm of a believe it's all so easy for places to use those dreary old frozen sort - so I see this showing an appreciable level of care and attention.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Very welcoming and good friendly atmosphere, they serve real ale and have a good range. There was about 15 of us went in after a meal at Lugley's, the staff were very chatty and looked after us well.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We ate a couple of times at Union Inn, the last time was Sunday as we wanted to see what all this “the best roast in town” is about. Well, there it is: whilst the portion was generous, the meat was very tough, we had beef; the Yorkshire pudding was half burnt, half so greasy it was uneatable. Potatoes, I bet it was reheated; not nice at all. Parsnip was nice though, and the green veg was ok. But what a pity, the roast itself was such a let-down. The price only met the quantity, but where there’s no quality, is not worth it. The service from this lovely young girl was good, but she looked very unprofessional. I guess, again no dress code, but leggings?! Also, I have to say they are a bit full of bs, some of the messages on the boards were funny but no way (seem to be) true… “The top three comedians in UK at our pub”, “Four in a bed winner certificate” and of course “The best roast in town”! What a joke! I read some of the previous reviews, can’t believe how easily pleased some people are… Is it the Isle of wight residents that have little or no experience of what a good pub should be?!

2  Thank carl s
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Had an excellent meal, cannot fault it at all. Bar staff very friendly.

Only one issue, the place doesn't seem as busy as it used to be over the last few years. On a Friday night there was a handful of people in, where as other places in cowes were full up. The place appears to be losing its atmosphere and seems to be frequented by students taking space around the fire all night.

The chef is doing an excellent job, highly recommended if you are after a good quality meal.