“Delicious Chicken and Tarragon Pie!”

The Coast Bar & Dining Room
Ranked #3 of 62 Restaurants in Cowes
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Scenic view, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious Chicken and Tarragon Pie!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

delicious food. Small downstairs by bar, nice upstairs for dinner. Home made food, generous portions and cozy atmosphere. Tables by window are great for people watching. Desserts were excellent so leave room for pudding!

Visited November 2012

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chowder at the Coast Bar”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had the most wonderful bowl of seafood Chowder, the best I have ever had. Piping hot, plenty of fish and seafood, the sauce was spot on, not too fishy or creamy. Highly recommendable. Together with a chilled glass of Pinot Grigio was perfect. The atmosphere and ambiance of the Coast Bar is such a fantastic place especially now the log fire is burning! A must place to visit when in Cowes.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Oaklands11
London
“Cool, casual, yummy food”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

6 months later, back on the Isle and back at The Coast. Not many have heard of it but it is lovely. Great food - inventive, freshly cooked served in a casual but smart environment. Inviting menu, fresh cakes, great wine by the glass. Service a little slow but that's more because they are so blooming busy - even on a Monday lunchtime !! A definite if you are in Cowes.

• Visited October 2012
Cowes, United Kingdom
“Presentation not substance- stick to the alcohol, food overpriced and disappointing.”

Good sherry to start
Started with marinated olives, tasted and looked like bottled olives in brine with a couple of flakes of coriander. Any Tescos or sainsburies olives would have put to shame. Asked what the marinade was and was variously told, walnut, olive oil and lemon juice. These olives had not been anywhere near olive oil in a long time.
Main course was sirloin steak charged at £16. Ordered bleu and it arrived as blue but was like curates egg, in this case tough in places which I do not feel a £16 steak whose accompaniment was a half tomato, a mushroom and some pomme frites.
The Chilean merlot with the steak was good and well priced.
The cheese dish was served with strange tomato flower and raspberries, but the cheese was at fridge temperature and the soft cheeses were not fully ripe and chalky in the centre.
In summary lots of presentation but the basics were not in place
Stick to the alcohol if you do not want to be disappointed.

• Visited November 2012
Cowes, United Kingdom
“Never disappoints!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We pre booked and visited on a Wednesday evening, despite being mid week it was still fairly busy downstairs, we had a window table upstairs & as we were eating early it was quiet up there but did get busy later on. I have been here on numerous occasions now for both lunch and dinner and the food never disappoints. The waitress came to take our order straight away, although we weren't ready she then did take quite a while to come back to us again but overall the service is good here. The specials board is always full of choices for me despite being a pescitarian - their seafood is always great, although I had seafood chowder on this occasion and didn't realise it would contain bacon so I just decided to take it out (which didn't bother me), I didn't get brought a spoon until I asked for one although it was obvious I would need one (my friend had been brought a steak knife for her meal) and I would have thought it would have come with a chunk of fresh bread which I easily/quickly ordered when I realised. I will definitely be returning again and again, one of the best restaurant in Cowes.

• Visited October 2012