“Presentation not substance- stick to the alcohol, food overpriced and disappointing.”

The Coast Bar & Dining Room
Ranked #2 of 64 Restaurants in Cowes
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good sherry to start
Started with marinated olives, tasted and looked like bottled olives in brine with a couple of flakes of coriander. Any Tescos or sainsburies olives would have put to shame. Asked what the marinade was and was variously told, walnut, olive oil and lemon juice. These olives had not been anywhere near olive oil in a long time.
Main course was sirloin steak charged at £16. Ordered bleu and it arrived as blue but was like curates egg, in this case tough in places which I do not feel a £16 steak whose accompaniment was a half tomato, a mushroom and some pomme frites.
The Chilean merlot with the steak was good and well priced.
The cheese dish was served with strange tomato flower and raspberries, but the cheese was at fridge temperature and the soft cheeses were not fully ripe and chalky in the centre.
In summary lots of presentation but the basics were not in place
Stick to the alcohol if you do not want to be disappointed.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We pre booked and visited on a Wednesday evening, despite being mid week it was still fairly busy downstairs, we had a window table upstairs & as we were eating early it was quiet up there but did get busy later on. I have been here on numerous occasions now for both lunch and dinner and the food never disappoints. The waitress came to take our order straight away, although we weren't ready she then did take quite a while to come back to us again but overall the service is good here. The specials board is always full of choices for me despite being a pescitarian - their seafood is always great, although I had seafood chowder on this occasion and didn't realise it would contain bacon so I just decided to take it out (which didn't bother me), I didn't get brought a spoon until I asked for one although it was obvious I would need one (my friend had been brought a steak knife for her meal) and I would have thought it would have come with a chunk of fresh bread which I easily/quickly ordered when I realised. I will definitely be returning again and again, one of the best restaurant in Cowes.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Very busy Friday night, bustling atmosphere more wine bar style than restaurant, later in the evening they had a good guitarist/singer, food was good staff worked hard, an enjoyable evening, my 3rd visit and best so far after 1 not so good, £70 for 2 inc a cheap bottle of prosecco

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

. Dined with friends on a busy saturday night. The menu was restricted to good quality items with added daily specials. Service was excellent as was the food. Do ask to sit upstairs if you prefer a quieter less bohemian experience.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Good food, great owner and staff, 2 friendly dogs, lovely atmosphere, with a wood burning fire which was more than welcome on a chilly damp night. Happy days, Hugh