“Great location, food and service”

New Holmwood Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 66 Restaurants in Cowes
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: It is a restaurant in it's own right , without the hotel - a majority of bookings are from locals & non-residents
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked to take our son and his grandparents out for a special lunch on his 21st birthday.

Service, well attentive doesn't do it justice, was excellent. It was quiet I admit, with just a few mid week residents and diners in the lounge and we did have the restaurant to ourselves for the most part, but even with just a couple of staff on it was exceptional.

Food is wonderful and they don't mind you having the bar menu in the restaurant or mix and matching with the a la carte, so there really is something for all. We had a mix of both menus with a couple of us having set 3 course lunch. The food is very well prepared, presented and tastes wonderful.

Living where we can see the Solent everyday, the view was a little wasted on us, it is a superb location to view the sea and all the comings and going upon it.

Value is great for this style of dining and I know my wife's parents have used the carvery at busy times and it is as good.

It may look like an average seafront hotel but it is has a gem of a restaurant with superb staff that I wish, living only 3 miles away, I used more.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was completing a charity cycle and this hotel was booked for me, I wasn't expecting much from what looked like a dated Best Western seaside hotel. However they must have the best trained staff of any hotel I have stayed at in recent years. From the moment we arrived when I think the manager took my bags to the room to the receptionist who booked restaurants in town and the ferry, the restaurant staff who were all friendly and helpful. OK the rooms are not the most modern but were extremely comfortable.
If you are going to the Isle of White I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were staying next door and didn't want to venture out to far on our first so we popped to the hotel and had some food from the bar menu - I'm glad we did we both thoroughly enjoyed the food and service was good. Even though we were not paying residents we were still made to feel very welcome

Reviewed September 5, 2013

wow!!!! we popped into this hotel on a sunday evening looking for a carvery, sadly that had finished.however the staff were so helpful & suggested a roast from the bar menu, we were treated like residents even though we weren't staying there, & the dinner was wonderful so much so that we booked to have the a la carte menu the following evening, & were delighted we did. the 3 courses were all delicious & to a high standard the staff were so helpful,polite & friendly, & could not do enough for us, especially david & cathy who were a delight. we actually wished we were staying there. 10 out of 10. to all at the new holmwood. everything about it was 5* and not the 3* its been awarded.

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly and down to earth staff although with outstanding service, which is a hard trick to pull off.

The food here is normally outstanding but on this occasion was slightly disappointing, and a bit hit and miss, although still adequate. For example the carvery beef joint was cooked so rare it was more carpaccio than roast, and the potatoes were past crunchy and bordering on hard, yet the cauliflower cheese was astonishing.

The price is excellent value for 3 courses plus coffee, and I can recommend moving to the terrace for the coffee.

I personally think the New Holmwood tries too hard to be 'posher' than it actually is, and it definitely appeals to persons of a certain age, and the whole place can seem anachronistic, but it's definitely well worth a visit nevertheless.