“Seen better days...”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cowes
London
“Seen better days...”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Staff at this hotel were very polite and friendly but overall we were disappointed with our stay. First impressions are very important and on arrival we came in via the garden entrance - it was very messy and run down. This theme carries on in the public areas of the hotel where the sailing themed artifacts are all in need of a good dust and delcuttering. The breakfast was very good but sitting in the conservatory area we noticed things like two directors chairs on the patio that looked rotten and the blinds in the same area need replacing as they were also dirty (possible mildew). The room was fine but would not return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Atin K
MirandaCourtney, Owner at Villa Rothsay Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback and giving us the opportunity to reply. We would like to point out that the entrance to the hotel that you happened to use was indeed via the garden which isn't our official entrance and we are a little bemused as to how you found yourself arriving at that point.

We acknowledge and were aware that some of the garden had become overgrown and therefore a bit untidy. Unfortunately the prolonged period of rain that we have experienced in April & May (the wettest April on record across the UK) has procluded us from being able to get outside to address those parts of the garden whilst at the same time the rain has caused rapid vegetation growth. The couple of directors chairs you correctly identified as 'rotten' have not been used for months as the gardens have been out of action since last Autumn and the chairs had already been earmarked to take to the tip once the weather improved. With the improvement in weather this week the chairs have indeed been scrapped and our team of gardeners have started work in earnest this week.
The blinds in the conservatory as you pointed out are a little tired and we are now planning to replace them.
As for dust in the public areas on the nautical memorabilia or ‘clutter’; rest assured we have been busy with our dusters.
We apologise for your stay not meeting your expectations and are sorry to hear that you would not return.

Kind regards,
Margaret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Having just got back from a business trip on the beautiful Isle of Wight I’ve decided to review.
I was recommended (almost instructed) to stay at the Villa Rothsay by my better half – not it’s not worth ignoring her, trust me, as she'd stayed there with family about 10 years ago.
The moment you walk in the door it’s like being transported back to another time, a truly wonderful experience.

There is only one word in which I can describe it, luxury.

Whether it’s the Victorian splendour-which seems to have been encapsulated in this breath-taking building, stunning views across the Solent, superb customer service or ravishing food this place really has something for everyone.

Rooms: my room was sea facing, so it had a wonderful view and it comes with all the mod cons – tea service, trouser press, hairdryer, FREE high-speed Wi-Fi (this was brilliant, as it meant I could Skype my family back in London.)

Service: The service is second to none; I was ASKED what time I was leaving (instead of the usual “get out by 10am” rubbish)

Food: I ate in the restaurant every night, except for one. Carvery meat, cut straight from the bone in front of your eyes – can’t beat it!
And they have an honesty bar in the lounge, which a very hard to come by these days.

The overwhelming feeling I got from my stay was “they don’t make them like this anymore”

People wanting to visit the island (for whatever reason, business, holiday or weekend getaway), do yourself a massive favour and stay here – it won’t disappoint you.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are to die for!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank Cameron B
Pewsey UK
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Stayed here on business April 2012. I had been recommended to stay here by one of my colleagues who had been here many times.

The first thing to know is that THIS IS NOT A CHAIN - and it's beautiful because of it. my room was large and overlooked the Solent - I had about a 160 degree sea view. Bed super comfy and nice big telly. free wifi throughout.

so the ambience of the hotel is for me its winning feature - its like staying in an 19th century English vicarage with a nautical bent - Lots of dark furniture, big overstuffed sofa's and armchairs - multiple chaises. And an honesty bar. All in all really convivial

Add up all of that with friendly staff and a belt busting breakfast with proper tea - will I stay here again - yes I will - will I take my family - oh yes

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank tangleWoody
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed together with my bf for 1 night at Villa Rothsay end of March. We were suprisingly pleased with everything: location (10min walk max from the pier), beautiful sea view from the balcony, very nicely decorated rooms, excellent quality and cleanliness of the facilities (room, bathroom, hotel areas). The staff was very friendly and ready to help! We were ASKED what time we would like our breakfast to be served!!! Also we asked for a late check-out and that was absolutely no proble wihtout any additional charges!
I really loved the atmosphere - antique, boat-sea-sailing mood and style - if you are looking for something different, with a very good british quality and a bit of nostalgic, historic touch - perfect place for a weekend trip or even a week in summer!
we were a bit early in the season, but there are tons of activities in the town. Having asked hotel staff (Miranda) when we were leaving about "water" activities for our next visit, we recieved a very detailed email with many suggestions/contacts!
loved the place, want to come back in summer!

Room Tip: definitely go for a room with the balcony and the sea view,the higher the better
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank AnyaElyasova
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I have to say that this was the nicest hotel I have ever had the pleasure to stay in. The owner of the hotel picked us up at the ferry when we arrived, she carried our bags, she drive us to eat at a restaurant down town, she sat with us in the library and told us the history of the area, the list goes on... I have never had service like I had at the Villa Rothsay. I went there on a business trip that time but it is a place I will be going back to on vacation. If you are going to Cowes and you are looking for a total 5 star experience then look no further!

• Stayed April 2012
6 Thank treyc
Crail, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Having travelled the globe for the last 20 years I can safely say that this is one of the best hotels in which I have ever stayed. Great room with sea views, fantastic food, first rate service and unique charm. Wi-fi and all mod-cons available. Not to be missed for both personal and business use.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Ian B
Berkshire
Reviewed August 30, 2011

From the road, you wouldn't think that this Hotel was anything special. However, it's a bit like a tardis once you get inside. Beautiful property, very quirky and full of antiques and nik-naks. We booked a balcony room and chose the one at the top of the property (basically, the attic) The room was lovely, spacious and clean and the views over the Solent were fabulous. A hearty breakfast is served here - fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals, juice as well as a choice of cooked items from the menu (we went for the full English and were pretty full up!) toast, tea and coffee.

The staff are great and very attentive to your every need - Thank you Jackie for your directions.....we made it!!

I would go back and I would recommend this Hotel, however, you do need to have deep pockets as I do think the nightly rate is pretty steep. I'm not sure if this is because of the location of the Hotel but we have stayed in other lovely Hotels on the IOW for a lot less.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LaineyWebb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
North House
#5 of 5 in Cowes
The Wight
The Wight
#5 of 29 in Sandown

Been to Villa Rothsay Hotel? Share your experiences!