Pendley Manor Hotel
West Lodge Hotel(Aston Clinton)
$105
$81
$67
$76
  • Restaurant
$65
  • Pool
Travelodge Aylesbury Central(Aylesbury)(Great Value!)
$56
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
PremierInn.com
1,231 results
All reviewspeacocks roamingpeacock loungeshakespeare festivalwhite peacockdining roomslovely groundsset menuwhipsnade zoosteam room and saunabeautiful buildinga bit tiredmurder mysteryspa facilitiesevening meala lovely staybuffet styletwin room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I am nearly eight months pregnant and decided to take myself and my partner away to the Pendley Manor as I felt like getting away for the weekend. I chose Pendley Manor based on the location from my house in London (30 minute drive) and the fantastic pictures on the website.

When we arrived the reception could have been better, Having stayed in many luxury hotels I knew as standard you should expect a warm person behind the desk and a tour of the hotel or at the very least a map as well as some help with your bags. We got none of this, the lady on the front desk was quite cold and we had no idea where we were going when we hauled our own bags up the spiral staircase.

Our four poster bed room was definitely not as luxurious as it looked on the internet site but was fairly nice and clean.

We then went for a wander in the grounds and again, it did not look as big or luxurious as it did on the site but was very pretty.

Breakfast the next morning was a delicious buffet that we could not fault. We both enjoyed it and the rooms to dine in were very fancy.

At lunchtime we decided to drive to find somewhere else to eat and Berkhamstead High Street (around 10miles away) was the nearest place. A nice little town.

We swam in the pool which was nice but could have looked more like the internet site. We also had dinner which was absolutely delicious and full of flavour.

The next day was check out and we had pre-arranged a 1pm checkout with the frosty lady at reception as I had an ante natal 2.5 hour treatment booked that finished at 12.30. The treatment was incredible and the lady in the spa was very friendly and helpful. It was also very good value for money if I compare it to the spas in London. The only complaint about it that I would have is that I was told they were fully booked when I went to book one on the Saturday. I was told you need to book spa treatments weeks in advance as they only have two treatment rooms. Thankfully (I think they took pity on me as I was pregnant!) one of the girls agreed to come in on her day off to do a treatment for me on the Sunday.

Overall I would say that we both enjoyed our stay here and it was a very relaxing environment, very pretty (especially with the wandering peacocks) however the pictures on the internet site are a little exaggerated as the whole place could do with a lick of paint.

2  Thank curleesam
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I was looking forward to my 2 night stay at the 'Pendley'. The grounds, buildings and roaming peacocks suggest something special, but the experience is certainly not special. Check in was ok and the help with my heavy luggage to my first floor room was appreciated. The room was in definate need of re-furbishment as was the bathroom. The bathroom emenities where terrible for this 'standard' of hotel. The bed which a 4 poster was terrible. The mattress was shocking, with more lumps and bumps than an unmade road. When I layed on it the corners lifted up. It was without doubt the worst mattress/bed combo I have had the misfortune to lay on, certainly since one of my business trips took me to Ningbo in China a few years ago. The 4 pillows were thin slabs of concrete wrapped in a white pillow case. I did ask for replacements, but to no evail. The first night was hell, with little sleep, followed by an equally hellish second night. Breakfast was buffet style with a reasonable array of offerings, unfortunately the hot selections were luke warm. Service in the dining area was efficient but lacking in detail as re-made tables were not cleaned down correctly. I had to ask for my prefered table to be re-made as it still had bits of food still on it from the previous user of the table. I had one meal in the bar area as I was too late for the main dining area. The bar person was unfriendly and abrupt. The meal was a simple burger which was edible and well presented. The selection beers was also poor. The Pendley is certainly not worth the money or the effort to visit, there must be much better offerings around the Tring area. My advice is stay away from the Pendley.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Ausman57
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for our anniversary. We had a lovely room overlooking the garden bathroom was in desperate need of being updated/renovated as this is supposed to be 4star. The leisure facilities were badly in need of repair. the jacuzzi was dirty even though it was cleaned the day before. the sauna and steam room were annoyingly on different floors and the walkway leading to them was like an outdoor lido. The water machine only gave warm water. Tennis courts shocking (big pot holes). On the plus The grounds were lovelyThe staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was ready early for us , bed comfortable and food was divine.

1  Thank clarke77black
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Dreadful stay, shabby room, overpriced evening meal and really poor and quite expensive room service - how hard is it to get a salad so wrong. To make matters worse the bathroom was from the dark ages with a hard to flush loo. My husband secured the room by his card and I paid on departure. He found out the next day that they had also put a large payment through on his card, which according to the hotel was happening quite often. Be very careful before you book at Pendley Manor you might not quite get what you think you are getting. As we left Tring we looked longingly at the local chain Hotel (Premier Inn) - and thought next time we won't be so snobbish! After all what could be wrong with a clean comfortable room, new bathroom and a Beefeater next door.

2  Thank Gifford12
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I have to say I should have rated this hotel long before now, I really can not fault it, my husband and myself make sure we go here every year. its not a modern hotel but a unique piece of history, old manor house renovated to its original glory. its quite stunning. the food well its really good, the service is brilliant and the staff as you walk in are helpful and friendly. Also try there spa, another great bit of the hotel.Try the massages. I would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple