Pendley Manor Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
West Lodge Hotel(Aston Clinton)
The Kings Arms(Berkhamsted)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Bellows Mill(Dunstable)
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
1,231 results
All reviewspeacocks roamingpeacock loungeshakespeare festivalwhite peacockdining roomslovely groundsset menuwhipsnade zoosteam room and saunabeautiful buildinga bit tiredmurder mysteryspa facilitiesevening meala lovely staybuffet styletwin room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding at the start of August.

Rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. Service on the front desk could not have been better. we had room 127 and found that in most rooms the walls were very outdated and could do with new paint to get rid of the 1990's style wallpaper. The bathroom was clean and nice but the shower was old and there wasn't enough shampoo/body wash etc for two people.

The bar staff at the reception were 50/50. You'd get a polite barman one minute but then a rude one the next.

In the morning, the breakfast lacked a lot. It's a buffet style full English but when I went up the first time it was missing Eggs and sasuages. I sat down and had to ask twice for toast, then had to ask for butter, then had to ask for jam. I also had to ask for tea/coffee and also for a knife as one was missing and not replaced. When the eggs finally came out there was only four. It's not good to have to get up three or four times for a full English.

One more point on the breakfast, three of us that stayed there all had an upset stomach for the following 24hrs after that breakfast so be careful.

We had a discounted rate of £99 for our one night stay but I certainly wouldn't want to expect anything more than £70-80 pn for this hotel. It was nice but boarder line 3/4 star.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Luke F; thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased to read that you found your accommodation to be clean and comfortable. Whilst pleasing to read that you found my staff to be polite, I am concerned that one of the barmen was less than polite – there is simply no excuse – Would you be so good as to contact me personally in order that I can identify that particular individual and instigate further guest service training with him please?
I am sorry to read that you all suffered from an upset stomach, bit must respectfully contend your assumption that this was related to your breakfast. There is nothing whosoever to support this allegation. Given that all three of you suffered, and that no other guests were unwell, it is very unlikely that breakfast was the source and probable that your family contracted a “ tummy bug”.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Ooooooh, this is such a frustrating review to write! The hotel location within its expanse of grounds is lovely, the exterior is beautiful, the reception, dining area, bars and swimming pool and jacuzzi were great.
What dulled this experience for me.....
1) cold cooked breakfast from the buffet, pointed this out to our waiter who rushed off to check it, but did not return to the table to suggest whether something hot would be arriving. Also served cold toast.
2) faded curtains hanging off the rail in our bedroom, and dead moths all around the window and the sill.
3) stunning swimming pool and jacuzzi, but the showers in the changing room, were a bit on the grim side.

Before our departure, we spoke to the duty manager who I am pleased to say listened to our concerns and deducted our bill accordingly.

Despite it stating on the website that:

"Continuing our refurbishment programme, our next phase is due to commence on the 14th July 2013 until 5th September 2013, this will encompass the manor public toilets, the Harcourt Conference and Banqueting public toilets, Harcourt Entrance and the Atrium.
We value your continued support and patience during this time; and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

This notice does not suggest that the rooms would be under par. I would love to go back when I know that all of the bedrooms were at the correct standard and the breakfast buffet is kept stocked with heated food. As this should be a luxury hotel, not just a nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Longbird77; Thank you for your review, whilst pleasing to read of your general satisfaction I do share in your frustration – there is no excuse for the breakfast buffet being cold, I am sorry that was the case and frustrated that my colleague, having rectified the issue failed to let you know.
I am pleased that my duty manager listened to your comments and dealt with the matter to your satisfaction.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel was extensively renovated years ago - but now it needs some upgrading again. the bedrooms, bathrooms are a bit old and worn down. The bar and restaurant are fine. The service adequate, but not overly friendly. The manor is located in a nice garden and has a (small) swimming pool)

Room Tip: probably to stay as far away from the main house as possible because of functions.
1  Thank mareku

mareku; thank you for your review. We are currently in the process of upgrading the Hotel as you suggest. I hope you approve of the areas which have been completed. The next phases are currently being designed and developed with a view to continuing the works as soon as possible.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Lovely place and very comfortable room. Had some hiccups with the plumbing, but maintenance was sent up immediately oi fix the problem. All staff were extremely helpful, although one breakfast was extremely busy because of a wedding and the extra staff called in were a little dis-organised. Big no-no was that there is no lift to any of the upper floors. A strong man took up both of our cases, so we weren't too fatigued by our climb to the 2nd floor, but I was very surprised that in a hotel of such quality in other respects they were not wheelchair enabled.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you Shezza51 for your time in reviewing your recent stay with us.
Thank also for you kind remarks regarding your accommodation, breakfast and helpful staff.
I am also pleased to read that the plumbing “hic-up” was quickly remedied.
I gather you stayed in the original Manor House and you are right in saying that there is no lift in that part of the Hotel due to is layout and listed status. Whist it is good to know that my colleague assisted you with your luggage, we do have a lift to our bedrooms in the newer part of the hotel, and indeed 18 of our rooms are on the ground floor which is ideal for our guests with mobility difficulties. Room 017 is best suited to guests who need wheelchair access. I am sorry that these rooms were fully booked at the time you checked in.
May I suggest that for a future stay you request one of these rooms at the time of booking so that we can ensure a suitable room is allocated in advance for you.
Thank you for your feedback; I hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend for my sisters wedding. The hotel was gorgeous on the eyes and once checked in walking into the main hall with the grand stair case was a sight to behold.

The building is old worldy with superb character. The staff were forever helpful, the room was comfortable with great view of the grounds (i assume views change depending on rooms people stay in.) I have seen reviews bemoaning the breakfast but i cant complain, a nice selection which was all piping hot and delicious! The evening meal was wonderful with a great selection of drinks.

Overall it is a well placed quiet and relaxing hotel, it comes with a spa too which is an added bonus.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Cooneyis; thank you for your comments and recommendation. Your comments are appreciated and I am delighted to know that not only did your family enjoy the special occasion of your Sister’s wedding day but also that you personally enjoyed good accommodation, a delicious breakfast and evening meal, and of course that my colleagues were helpful throughout.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.