“What a wonderful treat”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Horsham, England
“What a wonderful treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a business trip. The grounds are spectacular and the building matches the location. Reception staff were very good, offered to carry my bags, personally showed me to my room. It is warm for once in the UK but never fear, my room was all ready with a big fan to keep the room cool overnight. I needed to do some work, so I opted for room service, wow the best steak sandwich I have had this side of the Atlantic. No mobile phone reception unless you are in the car park but very good free wifi which got round that problem. Breakfast was also very tasty. The service from all staff was always A1, a wonderful break when away on business.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
nmcclu315; thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed both the Hotel’s facilities and the service my colleagues delivered. Chef is particularly pleased to read that you enjoyed your steak sandwich!
Glad you enjoyed a break from your business commitments, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Scarborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I booked in via Trivago and got an amazing deal for myself and my two sons of £80per night bed and breakfast including full use of all facilities (swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, gym)

Check in was easy and reception staff very friendly. Our room was certainly large enough with two king sized beds and everything else you would expect.

The hotel is beautiful as are the grounds with the very friendly peacocks.

Breakfast was fantastic as it was a buffet style, with everything you could have wanted, although on the first day I failed to notice the menu on the table where you could order poached eggs, kippers and salmon.

The pool stays open until 10pm, all staff are friendly and the grounds are beautiful.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone of any age :-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you stephhartburn for your review. It is lovely to read that you and your children enjoyed your break with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon
St Albans
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I went with some friends to Pendley Manor for tea recently and was very disappointed with what we received. I have taken tea at most of the 4 and 5 star hotels in Hertfordshire and therefore feel qualified to say that this was poor value for money. We went for the £11.95 afternoon tea with scones and 'a selection of cakes'. The scones were bland and had a strong taste of bicarbonate. The 'selection' of cakes were in fact tiny - a small jam tart, that was about the size of a 2p piece, a pink minute meringue which was even smaller, and a little triangle of millionaires shortbread. None of which tasted home made. I was expecting proper slices of cake or large muffins. These were more like petit fours and in my opinion definately not worth £12. It was a beautiful venue but my advice would be to go to St Michael's Manor in St Albans where for just £8.50 you get 2 beautiful scones and 3 large cakes serve. In case you are wondering, I do not work for this hotel I am just a customer who appreciates quality and value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JayBaillie
JayBaillie; thank you for your comments. I am sorry to read that you disappointed with your afternoon tea and will discuss your remarks with Chef. Would you please contact me personally in order that I may ask for some further information which will assist us in evaluating your complaint and subsequently reviewing our offer?
I look forward to speaking and hope to be able to restore your confidence in Pendley Manor

Travelers are raving about these Tring hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stopped at Pendley manor in July great building and grounds with added bonus of gym with spa facilities and pool .Food there is very good with pleasant staff from fine quality to bar food and afternoon tea .london is just a short train ride away with tring station just down the road .only downfall is decor is in need in some rooms with a tv upgrade needed

Room Tip: Many variants but I stayed in a very spacious 4 poster rm227 but have stopped in a lot of rooms here...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ian G; thank you for your time and for your positive remarks, It is encouraging to read that you consistently enjoy staying with us. We look forward you your next visit.
Swindon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here just for one night for business. The lady on check in was very friendly but it wasn't until I was wondering around completely lost that I realised she hadn't told me how to get to my room. No problem, I went back to reception and she pointed me in the right direction.
The rooms are a little dated but all was forgiven, it was MASSIVE, comfortable and had everything I needed.
I planned on ordering room service and was a little disappointed to find only a small selection of food could be ordered for your room (just the bar menu) More disappointing was the man I spoke to on the phone when ordering. He sounded so huffy and harassed, I genuinely felt for a moment like I was a bit of a burden and shouldn't be bothering him (I quickly came to my senses!) He used no manners at all. No please, no thank you, just a hurried, impersonal service. It's a real shame because the (i think french?) guy in the Shakespear bar was lovely and helpful, but this 'room service' guy really ruined it for me. I'm a real stickler for good manners (they cost nothing!) Excellent customer service and staff friendliness will guarantee you a very loyal customer in me but I was made to feel unwanted and unwelcome by one thoughtless member of staff and for that reason, will not stay at this hotel again.
The rest of the hotel was lovely and I'm sorry I can't give a higher rating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BuxomWench87
Thank you BuxomWench87 for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your kind remarks concerning both your accommodation and the service you encountered, with the exception of that in contacting room service for which I can only apologise and assure you that such an approach is both unacceptable and as I hope you will glean from other reviews wholly unrepresentative of my colleagues ethos to service standards.

I have attempted to make contact with you by email a couple of weeks ago in order to personally apologise and importantly to ask for some further information which will assist me in identifying the individual concerned so that some further training can be undertaken. I would appreciate your response following which I hope that I will be able to reassure you as to our service ethos and welcome you back.
I look forward to speaking personally, in the meantime thank you again for bringing this to my attention.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Visited for a hen weekend. The receptionist groaned as we booked in, not a great start. The hotel is very grand and is in a beautiful setting, the rooms clean if a little dated and good facilities. The kettles in several of the rooms had to be put on the floor to reach a plug and the hairdryers could do with replacing, however the beds were very comfortable and the showers good. The bar and restaurant staff were delightful and we were there on a busy weekend which the staff coped with very well. Dinner was very nice as was breakfast and the peacocks were pretty but noisy in the mornings. Be warned if you were expecting a lay in. The pool was lovely maybe a tad warm but sadly the steam room was quite tired. Must say I was overcharged on check out but was told tough you signed for two people. Another of the party sadly had to rush off after an emergency and they were charged for the room and dinner that night even though they left before 4pm having only been there an hour. Would I go there again, afraid not, could do with a cash injection to update.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
susie s; thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit and for your positive remarks regarding many aspects of your visit. I have looked into the “overcharge” I am afraid the charge was actually correct as you had taken advantage of our attractive prepaid offer which precludes late cancellations. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your various meals with us and found my colleagues to be delightful. I have taken note of your positive criticisms which will be kept in mind as our refurbishment progresses.
Tintwistle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

This fine old house with excellent parking and Peacocks in the ground is an excellent stay.

The rooms if being picky could do with some renovation but I like the old feel to the place.
Good and speedy reception, if its your first time here let the staff show you to your rooms,
you may get lost. This is not a criticism just a reflection on the age of the building.

Excellent comfortable bar with reasonable prices. Restaurant very good with a good menu
and fine setting with good service.

Breakfast a little disappointing for such a fine establishment - buffet service, it was crowded on my visit
so that may have been the reason.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thanks ChefJDD for taking the time to review your stay. It’s encouraging to read your comments, particularly in relation to our food and beverage areas and the service you encountered, though I am sorry that breakfast was evidently busy at the time you came down.
Thanks also for your remarks regarding our lovely Manor House and grounds, perhaps at their best at this time of year. We continue our renovation programme, with the next phase scheduled to be completed in the coming weeks.
I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Sopwell House
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,204 reviews

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!