“Charity Ball”

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I felt I just had to write a review following a Charity Ball that we held in Pendley Manor's main function room. The food for 120+ people was excellent and the Maître de, Huego was so helpful and couldn't do enough for everyone. In fact all the staff were polite, hard working and with a sense of humour. The function was a big success and many of the guests including myself stayed over night. The rooms were clean and spacious but some facilities were very old fashioned, including the TVs and the hairdryer. The breakfast was lovely and once again the organisation and the food was of top quality. So all in all a great weekend, thank you Pendley Manor!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gemma04
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Gemma04; thanks for taking the time to review both your fundraising event and stay with us. I am delighted that the event was such a success, congratulations on raising such an amount for a worthwhile cause. Chef and Hugo very much appreciate your kind remarks regarding the meal and the service their teams delivered.
I’m also glad that you found your room clean and spacious, and that breakfast was good – much needed and deserved after all your hard work no doubt.
We look forward to welcoming you back again next year if not before.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here whilst doing "keeper for a day" at whipsnade, very nice setting well run and food was superb, leisure facility's were good well kept and all switched on and working, not so sure about the peacocks as were loud early in the morning! The grounds are nice for a walk.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments pepper490, I hope you enjoyed your Whipsnade experience.
Thank you for your kind comments I and my colleagues are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, particularly our leisure facilities and that you dining with us.
The peacocks are lovely, but can sometimes be a bit loud at this time of year as the welcome the arrival of spring.
We hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed on night for a wedding. The room was good value at £90 B and B but the rooms are definitely in need of updating, lots of dusty and broken furniture and fittings. However, the setting is beautiful and the breakfast very nice.
We ordered some cream scones to the room which had very strange tasting glaze - alomost inedible and not cheap!

Room Tip: I think the newer rooms may be better.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Emma C; Thank you for your comments which I will look into further. I am sorry to read about your scones which are freshly made on site and are glazed with egg. There should be no discernible taste to the glaze. I’m not aware of any comments about this and do hope that you let us know and that they were exchanged for a fresh batch. Thanks for alerting me to your remarks.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed 1 night in April 2013. This is a hard review to write because some of the elements were great, and others were greatly disappointing.

The hotel certainly looks impressive as you drive up, and the peacocks are an attractive feature. The reception is grand, but we were disappointed that a staff member near the doors watched us struggle with them as we tried to bring our luggage in. Check-in was fine and we were shown to our room. It was down a corridor leading away from the bar and spa, and whilst it looked "new" as opposed to the traditional style of the entrance, our room was very dated.

The four-poster bed seemed badly situated, making a large room look smaller than it was. Tea and coffee provided. TV in a cupboard, safe worked fine, hairdryer bit poor but usual hotel standard. The bathroom was dated and tired, and whilst the water was hot and plentiful, it wasn't a lovely bathing experience.

We had a swim before dinner. The pool was empty when we arrived, although it gradually filled. There was a small jacuzzi we enjoyed. As we were leaving, a family with young kids climbed in the jacuzzi, despite the clear signage prohibiting this.

We had pre-booked dinner in the restaurant. The dining room had character, but was a bit chilly and generally the staff seemed to stay out of sight by the entrance, making it difficult to get anyone's attention. However, the service once we ordered was fantastic - dietary preferences dutifully followed, and the food was delicious. We were stuffed by the end of the meal and thoroughly enjoyed all three courses without feeling rushed.

Our bed was comfortable but we could hear running above us and doors slamming loudly throughout the night.

Breakfast the next day was buffet, with tea/coffee/toast ordered. Buffet was tasty but not as hot as it could have been. We had a lovely walk in the grounds afterwards.

Spa: expected it to be larger, with an area to relax in following your treatment. Not so. It is a small side area by the pool, and there isn't anywhere you can really sit in quiet after a treatment. But the therapist herself was fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed the treatments we received. Hence the mixed review ...

We didn't get a chance to use the gym, steam room or sauna as they were out-of-order during our stay. We were not advised of this beforehand and staff didn't seem too fussed at the inconvenience. Presumably this was due to the ongoing general renovations you can see everywhere on-site. I do think it should be on their website...

As always I checked tripadvisor and had received a personal recommendation prior to booking, but felt PM was lacking. It has the potential to be a fantastic place, but it just wasn't during our visit.

I might return for another spa treatment but not to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you sweetgems for your comprehensive review which I have carefully read and appreciate your positive feedback with regard to most aspects of your stay. I am however disappointed that our porter did not offer you his assistance on arrival. I am sorry that the gym was unavailable during your stay, I’m afraid that this was due to an electrical problem which took longer than anticipated to resolve.
I am pleased to read that you found your accommodation comfortable, and that you enjoyed both your treatments and meals with us.
Thank you for taking the time comment on your stay.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We came away for a short break and picked Pendley Manor as a deal. We were upgraded to a four poster room. Although comfortable and clean, with very attentive staff, it is getting a little tired. There are signs of a makeover in progress. The grounds, arrival and peacocks are lovely. In the state that the place is in, it is a little overpriced when inside. All that said, it was a lovely break in a lovely area and the staff were great.

Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank SeanMSweeney

Thank you SeanMSweeney for your review, I am pleased to read that you had a lovely break, and found your accommodation clean and comfortable. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding my colleagues and the service you received

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at Pendley Manor for one night, and then attended a family Christening reception. On arrival it looked stunning, with peacocks roaming the grounds and we were looking forward to a treat. Check in was good, but as soon as you left the main foyer into the corridors for the rooms it was clear the hotel was in dire need of some tender loving care and refurbishment. Whilst the room was comfortable, the bathroom was dated, the wallpaper was ripped in places and the furniture had seen better days. The sheet on the bed had a tear in it, and the walls between the rooms were paper thin. The furniture in the Shakespeare bar whilst comfortable was very shabby, and the Peacock Lounge had tatty chintz chairs with plastic yellow and blue modern tables! There were some stairs from the Peacock lounge leading to a storage area and if you happened to be sitting at the table nearest the stairs, and pushed your chair back too far, you toppled down the stairs. This area needs a stair gate particularly as there were a number of children attending the christening reception the next day. The breakfast was very good, hot, and with plenty of choice, however the hotel was clearly busy and we were placed in the Peacock Lounge rather than the restaurant. The afternoon tea was ok but the choice of sandwiches were limited if you didn't eat salmon or eggs. Overall as it was a family get together, we enjoyed our time with family and friends, the staff are very obliging and friendly, however I think the hotel is overpriced and we won't be returning.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you Alison P, I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your visit and appreciate your constructive comments which I shall follow up with my team.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

my husband and i stayed here for a wedding over the easter weekend and were extremely disappointed.
the check in was fine and over all the staff and service were fine too but the issues were elsewhere.
the rooms were £150 although we paid £100 as wedding guests, and as such i was expecting a high standard of room but what we got (room 124) was a tatty room with a filthy carpet, chipped furnature and a shower that didnt work properly (it was either boiling hot or freezing cold). due to the shower not working we used th bath but following the running of one bath the hot water stopped which meant my husband had to boil the kettle to have a shave! the carpet really was filthy and covered in stains and the whole room was very tired and in need of redecoration. i would also expect an iron in the room and a decent hairdryer but these weren't present either. one of our windows didnt shut and despite the interior extra glazing window it was cold.

We ordered room service (steak baguette and club sandwhich) which at about £25 we expected to be nice but it was cold. the baguette had hardly any steak in it and the club sandwhich should have had chicken in it but all i could see was lettuce and mayo with a couple of tiny bits of chicken 'mush' all on thin, cheap bread. it was beyond disappointing!

breakfast the next morning was nice - a buffet so it was what you would expect really although we were sat for ages without anyone offering us tea or toast.

I really think that this hotel is trying to be something that it is not and the standards I would expect in terms of cleanliness and quality are seriously lacking.
as parents of a young child this was a very rare chance to have a nice break away and the hotel completely let us down and was a waste of money so i would not return here or recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

niknak78; Thank you for your review. Whilst it is kind of you to comment favourably on your interactions with my colleagues and on the service you encountered, I am very disappointed to read of your observations with regard to your accommodation. I have personally inspected the room in which you stayed and have to agree that there were some stains on the carpet – it would seem from a spillage, this is of course unacceptable and both my Housekeeper and I offer our sincere apologies. I must however respectfully contend your assertions that the carpet as a whole was filthy.
I am also sorry to read of your disappointment with your room service snack. It is a pity that you did not let us know at the time as we would have happily rectified any problems and ensured that you were satisfied. Having not had sight of the snack which you were served it is difficult to comment, other than of course to offer our apologies. The steak baguette is specified to contain two minute steaks weighing approximately 6oz. The chicken in the club sandwich is cut into pieces and bound with the mayonnaise to form a component of the filling. Chef has asked me to extend his personal apologies to you if this was not what was served and has reiterated the importance of maintaining the consistency of his food with his brigade.
I would like the opportunity of restoring your confidence in our Hotel following what was clearly a disappointing visit. To that end may I ask that you be so good as to contact me personally at the Hotel.
Thank you again for alerting me to these issues, I look forward to speaking in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#6 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!