“A lovely stay with a fantastic restaurant”

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed for two nights starting Sunday 17th February in a four poster room. We were delighted to see the peacocks on our arrival and as our room overlooked a huge treeat the front were treated to the birds 'hopping' up the tree and posing on the branches.

Staff in reception were very friendly and the gentleman who stepped forward and took my case was exceptionally polite. He put the case in our room and left without waiting for a tip; we like to leave a gatuity for the staff at the end of our stay and find looking for change when we first get to our room an inconvenience.

The room was spacious and comfortable and the bathroom well appointed.

We had booked dinner in the restaurant and spent a little time in the Shakespeare Bar first looking at the menu. Staff again were very knowledgeable and friendly. The bar was very well decorated and comfortable.

The set menu looked very appetising but was completely eclipsed by the a la carte menu, which was more expensive. The wine list was interesting, varied and not too expensive.

We dined a la carte both evenings and the food was faultless. Graham, the restaurant manager was delightful to chat with and he took the trouble to get to know us as soon as he realised that we enjoyed the whole experience of fine dining rather than just sitting in a restaurant to be fed. He was very knowledgeable about both the food and the wine.

Food at breakfast was well cooked, but I would have preferred table service than the buffet style breakfast served, the hotel is luxurious enough, and the food good enough to justify table service.

We used the spa, it has a lovely pool and hot tub. The hotel grounds were beautifully kept and the car parking more than adequate.

All in all a lovely stay, and one which we shall repeat.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you M_A_Statter for taking the time to review your visit. I and my colleagues are delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your two night stay with us, and that found your accommodation comfortable and spacious. Chef and Graham are appreciative of your kind concerning both dinner and breakfast. It is also good to read that you found my colleagues friendly and helpful.
We look forward to welcoming you both back very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,204)

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Sitting in the restaurant and after 1 hour 10 minutes hoping that a main course will appear. Starter took 55 mins to arrive, cold garlic bread. Unbelievable. The rooms are not double glazed, so take warm clothes in winter. Hope you do not starve to death before you get served!

Room Tip: Do not bother
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Romana W
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

• Romana W; Thank you for your review, which is very disappointing. I am sorry that you meal took so long to prepare and note that your table was booked for 7pm, unfortunately you did not take your seats until 8 by which time the restaurant was particularly busy. I understand that you also chose not to eat from the menu, asking Chef to specially prepare a meal to your requirement’s, I am of course pleased that he was able to do that for you, however in the circumstances it did take rather longer than longer than usual to cook. I’m sorry for the delay and very much hope that it was worth the wait.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have eaten Sunday lunch at the Pendley Manor Hotel several times and each time has been a delight.
Set in Fabulous grounds with its flock of Peahens and Peacocks, its own heated pool and spa, this property has changed hands a few times recently , once being owned by Dorian Williams (late commentator Horse of the year show). I've not stayed at the hotel as I live wthin walking distance, but I am always impressed by the cheerful and professional staff in the bar and the Restaurant. Sunday lunch for 2 and a bottle of bubbles around £70.00 not bad.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Colin D
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Colin D; Thank you for your comments, it is a particular pleasure to welcome our neighbours to the Hotel. It’s also great to read that you have once again enjoyed your Sunday Lunch with us, and that the team remain cheerful and professional in taking care of you. Your kind comments are appreciated by us all.
Do stroll over and visit us again soon, we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have been having our regular Monday to Friday breaks at Pendley Manor hotel every November for many years now and we are never disappointed with the excellent service and quality meals we have there. It's a wonderfull time of year to visit as we also get to experience the Tring Christmas festival. The hotel is a lovely place to be and have a relaxing stay wether sitting and reading in the conservatory or swimming in the pool with views onto the wonderful grounds which make for a pleasant walk. Even the full size snooker table provides some pleasant entertainment. We have always been greeted on arrival by the friendly staff on reception and the use of the porter is always offered. We have stayed in many different rooms at Pendley and have experienced many things over the years. Some things good and some bad but the bad is soon sorted when reported to staff. The hotel is such a grand building and has some history if your interested in these things. I cannot praise the staff enough for they are always so welcoming and helpful towards me and my wife every time we visit. We shall be going to Pendley for many years to come for our regular November visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert B

Thank you Robert B for reviewing your most recent stay with us. I and my colleagues are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, and are particularly appreciative of your kind comments regarding both the service levels you encountered and those concerning your meal experiences.
I am delighted that you continue to enjoy your visits to Pendley Manor and look forward to welcoming you back in November, if not before.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was looking for somewhere in this area that would give a bit of a luxury stay for a couple of nights while on vacation in the UK for a week visiting friends.

I found the website and booked.

The Hotel is out of the way (great) and is impressive when you arrive. The staff we interacted with were both friendly and helpfull, although I was suprised when no-one offered any help when I was pulling 2 large suitcases.

Overall though, I would describe the hotel as tired. If it is aiming to be as grand as the building itself, it needs a LOT of attention and loving care.

Corridors had badly chipped wood panelling, worn carpets, and the ceiling looked as if it was about to collapse. The elevator has paper notices stuck on it with curling adhesive tape, and the ceiling panels had been replaced upside down when they last changed the lights. The room, while nice, had chipped paint and wood, touch up painting had been done by someone with no skill at painting, the carpet worn, the hardboard back to the TC credenza was falling off with exposed staples, etc. (I design hotels for a living)

In addition, there is no individual control of room temperature, unless a luxury hotel considers turning a radiator on/off at a valve temperature control.

The pool is OK, but without much to offer, but beware the Sauna/steam rooms. You have to go through a sunken corridor that is as inviting as an entrance to a bomb shelter (and about as cold) to get to them.

Given the guests the hotel is aimed at, it fails and is generally a rather sad place. A shame, because I thought it would be better.

1  Thank JohnL10
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you JohnL10 for taking the time to review your stay with us. Whilst I am of course pleased to read that you found my colleagues to be friendly and helpful I am both sorry and disappointed to read your remarks in general. I do appreciate that there is work to be done – indeed we have embarked on an extensive refurbishment programme and whilst acknowledging there is more to be done am disappointed that you did not notice the quality of that which has been completed, particularly the restoration of the ground floor in the original manor house.
Nonetheless I do appreciate your time in making your comments known and very much hope that we will have made considerable further progress by the time you next visit the UK. Please do contact me personally when you do, I would be delighted to meet you and personally oversee your stay with us.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Booked an overnight stay at Pendley through a travel site without knowing anything about the place. I managed to get dinner and breakfast and gym/spa facilities included. Was impressed on arrival by long driveway and appearance (despite very small area of building work)and was greeted by a porter outside to take mine and my fiances luggage. Lovely building inside and stunning staircase and dining area. Bed was a four poster despite not requesting one which was lovely suprise. Staff were polite and friendly. Our meal was one of the best I have ever had and waiting staff were very attentive. We spent half of the next day in the pool/sauna/steam room enjoying the view of the roaming peacocks from the pool windows. I have noticed a lot of people stating the hotel needs updating in areas but a lot of the decor I found quite quirky and areas of the hotel reminded me of a grand cruise ship from days gone by while other areas seemed just like the posh stately home it once was to someone. The tunnel between the swimming pool and sauna does indeed need attention and is drafty somewhat but as I had previously read this I was eager to see it and it was made a game of to travel through it in yr towel trying not to get too chilly inbetween :) I would definately recommended it to anyone and would just ask people to bear with the hotel whilst the upgrades are being made as they have definately listened to criticisms and are dealing with out of date areas of the manor. I would definately go back and would love to sample some of the beauty treatments and massages etc on offer next time. I think the manor would also make a wonderful venue for weddings once the building work has been completed, especially for summer weddings when the lawns will be in use and the outdoor seating area. A very lovely weekend was had by myself and my fiance at pendley.

• Stayed: February 2013

wilder81; Thank you for such a lovely review, it is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Your appreciation of my colleague’s efforts in taking care of you is appreciated as are your remarks regarding diner being “one of the best….” Thank you.
As you say, the Manor is a lovely venue for a wedding; indeed we do host many lovely events throughout the year.

Hope to welcome you again soon – and with Valentine ’s Day just round the corner……..

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed for four days at the manner and loved everything about it, from arrival to leaving, The atmosphere there is lovely the staff very friendly, helpfull and attentive. We booked the cheapest standard room which was well appointed and the cleanliness of the room couldn't be faulted,
We used the bar and lounge area and found the prices to be reasonable for drinks, snacks and afternoon tea is excellent.
We had evening meals in the main reastraunt all I can say is the food was excellent and the staff dealt with my wife's eating allergy needs in a very professional and considerate manner.
The Spa is very nice indeed only down side is the small size of the changing rooms, that said it's An old building and to be expected.

1  Thank kimchitlaw l

kimchitlaw l; Thank you for your review of your four day stay with us. It is lovely to read that you enjoyed the atmosphere and found my colleagues friendly and helpful.
It is pleasing to read that you found both your accommodation clean and well-appointed and that you also enjoyed your meal experiences throughout your stay, be it breakfast, afternoon tea, a bar snack or dinner in out restaurant.
Thanks for your comments, hope to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Premier Inn Tring Hotel
#2 of 2 in Berkhamsted
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!