“Just an overnight stay”

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Visiting Aylesbury and decided to stay overnight at Pendley Manor. Read reports on Tripadvisor site which showed usual mix of reality/expectations. Overall a positive summary so we decided to give it a try as it was for only 1 night.

Booked an Exexcutive room at £80 with breakfast which compared very favourably with the local competition. First impression was very positive with a sweeping drive and a which was quite enormous! A huge comfortble bed - could have easily slept 4 - and a lounge area. OK the TV was a little ancient but it was fine for our purposes. Bathroom was big and well fitted with a very good shower. Some of the decor seemed a little faded but this could be a matter of individual taste.

Public rooms were quite grand and very well decorated and you had the feeling that you were a guest in a rather splendid stately home! Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and attentive service.

We did not have the time to use the leisure facilities but they looked fine.

All the staff were very friendly and I had the feeling of a welcoming, well managed hotel.

We will certainly return if we are in the area again.

Room Tip: Executive rooms very good value.
1  Thank 209964Mike
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

209964Mike; Thanks for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay with us. I’m grateful to you for such a positive overview and glad that you enjoyed your visit.
I hope that we shall see you again when you’re next visiting Aylesbury

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed at Pendley Manor to attend a friends wedding being held at the Hotel.

Bit of a mission for me to find, but probably as I know Tring and 'assumed' I know exactly where the Hotel was, I didn't pay any attention to the exact location!

I'd asked for early arrival and the room was ready when I arrived before lunch; we had time for a quick swim and sauna in the nice pool before joining the wedding celebrations. Excellent Wedding Breakfast, swiftly served (and hot) by pleasant staff. The room also looked great too. I thought the bar prices may be really costly, but I have paid more in pubs in London, so quite a pleasant surprise,

Our bedroom was in the old part of the hotel. Really nice and did not feel institutional like some hotels as the room had character...but also all the mod cons. Lots of Hot Water, warm and quick wifi. The room was also really clean, despite the age of the building no doubt being a dust magnet.

Breakfast was really tasty - lots of choice and good service. Despite the Hotel being busy, we were not rushed away and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast before taking a walk around the fantastic grounds. The peacocks were a nice touch too - despite the early morning serenading!

Would certainly stay again - especially as the room rate was not as much as I would have expected from a 'Manor' hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ENE008

ENE008; good to hear that we were able to meet your request for early arrival on this occasion, enableing to enjoy a swim before the celebrations. Thanks for your remarks concerning the wedding breakfast, and breakfast. I’m pleased to read that you found your accommodation comfortable, full of character with all amenities working as they should.
Overall it’s good to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Booked an Executive Room (224) and got a front overlooking car park & view which didn't mind as gave a sense of comings and goings. Bed & room was huge but TV wasn't big enough to watch from bed and picture quality far from perfect. Shower pretty poor too and if we were there as Execs wouldn't be happy. A minute or too to get hot water and then wasn't overly impressed with water flow pressure. Visited leisure facilities and pool was nice although crowded and tiled area very slippery. Got changed in the dark cupboard (mens changing room) very few lockers, pair of swim shorts in one shower and wet old socks in a locker, again I slipped. My wife and I went searching for the sauna / steam room. Tramped down some stairs and then into an underground very cold tunnel leading to the main part of the hotel and carpets. Proceeded to drip into the carpet before entering the sauna/steam area. Slipped and then had good steam. Reversed the journey back to the pool via the hugely unattractive and cold tunnel. Very bizarre.
Sunday breakfast very nice though and all staff very friendly and pleasant.
So, in summary - bedroom - clean and plentiful. Pool & wet facilities - disappointing. Food - good standard. Staff all good. Revisit - unlikely.

1  Thank QualityAdam

AdamBarnet; Thank you for your review, whilst it is pleasing to read that you found your accommodation clean and generally acceptable, enjoyed your meal experiences and found my colleagues all to be good, I am sorry to read your remarks concerning our leisure facilities. Your comments are of course appreciated and have been noted.
Thank you for taking the time to let your comments be known to me.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here a few years ago and the place has certainly improved a great deal since then. Somehow, in the face of continued underinvestment in this beautiful property, the staff seem to do a super job - professional, smart, friendly & helpful - whilst around them the manor house slowly decays and fades. The kitchen also manages to do a fine job and the chef should be very proud of the food leaving the pass, easily deserving the two AA rosettes and probably could warrant a third with a more refined and varied wine list. Where Pendley Manor sadly fails is in the facilities such as the very tired spa, sauna, steam room & pool facilities. Everything is very clean and well maintained - but again, this seems to be the staff taking care IN SPITE of the lack of investmentand the whole place just feels in need of some major TLC. The rooms are the same: a grand four-poster room was huge, with fine views, and charming - yet somehow void of proper amenities, with the bathroom more like something you'd find in a very average 2-star establishment. Just.... tired.

Overall this place leaves you with very mixed feelings towards it. There's something very charming and loveable about it, and you can pick up some great bargains for weekend deals, and yet whoever owns the place desperately needs to pay it the attention that their hard-working and caring staff seem to manage to do. Hopefully one day we will see the investment and this place realise the potential to become one of the most charming, luxurious spa hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Don't book via a 'late deals' hotel website - the best rates are to be found directly on...
1  Thank GavinSutcliffe1977
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

GavinSutcliffe1977; Thank you for taking to review your latest visit. It is encouraging to read that we have significantly improved since your last stay some years ago. I am gratified to read your positive remarks regarding my colleague’s friendly professionalism and also your appreciation of the food. Thank you also for your observations regarding the cleanliness and general housekeeping of our Hotel.

We have, since your last visit embarked on an extensive and on-going refurbishment and hope that you approve of those areas which have been completed.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your encouraging remarks.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had a lovely stay early in January. The reviews describe the hotel as tired, and yes, it is in places, but we've stayed in far worse! We had a nice room and the breakfast was great. We would have loved to use the pool but it was closed for maintenance. We did know this when we booked though. The porters were a little over keen, especially when they saw us with a pushchair. For me, I really appreciate the help but hate the rut we Brits have got stuck in thinking we have to tip someone for doing something that is their job. We have family near by so may stay again. We know we'll have a good night's sleep and a nice big breakfast! Thank you

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

• Yorkiemum3012; Thank you for such a kind review, it is good to know that you found your room comfortable and that you enjoyed breakfast. Knowing the porter who met you, I do believe he genuinely wanted to help, especially if he felt that you may be struggling with a pushchair, as you say you should not feel the need to tip, neither would it have been expected, my colleague was doing his best in delivering great service to our guests.
Please do stay again when visiting your family.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Tired,is the best way to describe this manorly pile.very large rooms and at £70 per night with breakfast,which was very good,good value,But bar prices and bar snacks are on the dear side.
the service and staff were very good,but my main course at our function wasn't,couldn't cut my
meat.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank maxieLondon

maxieLondon Thank you for your comments, I am pleased that you felt your stay to be particularly good value and that you found the service very good. I am sorry to hear about your main course though. Could you let me know which function you attended please so that I can follow through on that with Chef.?

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I were invited to dinner nearby and decided to stay overnight in luxury. Pendley Manor is a Victorian pile that doesn't disappoint, but it's not faultless. It's generally lovely, but it obviously needs a cash injection to get everything bang-on. The decor is quite mid-1980's in some areas, and although the pool is very good, the lighting is terrible and the cold concrete tunnel that leads to the sauna and steam room is grim. The bedroom was good despite the out-of-place pine 4-poster in a room that featured walnut and dark wood furniture. Patterned carpet, walls, curtains in a slightly old fashioned Laura Ashley-in-it's-heyday look. Everything was clean and the technology worked well. The wi-fi was free. The breakfast was terrific and the staff charming. The main function rooms are beautiful and traditional.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

• 1958speedster356; Thanks for you review, I am pleased to read that you thought the hotel to be lovely and found everything to be in clean with technology that works. It is also good to know that you enjoyed breakfast, appreciated our function rooms and found my colleagues charming. I am conscious of the down side and am working to have those areas updated
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us, please do visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Sopwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
De Vere Latimer Estate
De Vere Latimer Estate
#1 of 2 in Chesham

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!