““A great hotel that could do with a little investment””

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
southengland
““A great hotel that could do with a little investment””
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The rooms and some parts of the common.areas are old, tired and very much in need of refurbishment. Refurbishment seems to be in progress, part by part. The room we were in was very tired indeed, no minibar, old tv, old flowery wallpaper. Not even fridge or bottle of water. Old worn brass light fittings.

The service was professional. Clean rooms.

Bad points:
Fire alarm at 7 am - turned out to be a fault, no one apologized for this situation,
Nobody advised before booking the hotel where he was part of our room is painted, the whole night I had shortness of breath because I'm allergic.
No radio signal in the room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank simon k
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
simon k; Thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay, it’s good to read that you found the service professional and rooms clean
Yes indeed, refurbishment is underway, as you say step by step. I’m sorry that the smell of paint caused you distress, had we known we would have promptly moved you to another room.
I’m also sorry that you were disturbed by a fire alarm – as it turned out, thankfully, it was a false alarm, albeit the alarm had been triggered. In these circumstances my team would react in the interests of your safety as if it were the real thing, until it can be established exactly what caused the alarm. Sorry they didn’t say sorry though, I try and do this by catching guests as they are allowed back into the building following an evacuation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

stopped in the hotel a few times in the last 2 weeks (work related) the first room was not the best the other 2 were ok, TV reception was a challenge as the tvs are old, even had to re tune one to get a picture
the food was overpriced and not much choice in the restaurant or of any quality, the bar food was also of poor value, i asked if i could have a roll with a salad and was informed that that would be an extra £2!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank shaun h
shaun h; I am sorry to read this Shaun, food overpriced? – a three course dinner in our 2 rosette restaurant is under £30 including coffee etc, should our guests prefer a snack in the lounge, bar or in their room, these start at £4.95. I would hope that most would find our food to be of good quality and fairly priced. I’m afraid even a bread roll has to be made, baked and served
I’m relieved to read that at least you like our location and find the team to be nice
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed recently as I was a guest at a wedding here and was impressed with the grandness of this hotel. The public areas are impressive although I didn't visit the spa. Slightly less impressive was my room as it was definitely in need of decoration, new furniture and better curtains which would actually cover the whole window. It would have benefitted from some accessible plug sockets too. As I checked-out another guest was complaining about their room so I was not alone. Despite this it was clean and comfortable, breakfast was tasty and the service was absolutely top notch so I would consider staying again, although would not be prepared to pay as much for the same room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bathwickdave
Bathwickdave; Thanks for taking the time to comment on your visit, pleasing to read that that you experienced “top notch” service and that you enjoyed your meals with us. The public areas have largely recently been refurbished and I’m glad they meet with your approval. The bedrooms refurbishment plan is being developed and your comments will certainly be taken into account.
Thanks for your feedback
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had my wedding at Pendley manor in Nov 2012. It was stunning, the staff were great and helpful. Breakfast was wonderful, huge choice. Our rooms were great, 4-poster bed and spacious,
However there was no complimentary room for Bride and Groom and a few guests did not like our starters, and they requested the veg option. When I checked out I had extra starters on my bill! Shame they didn't just swap them over instead they felt ok to charge me extra on top of what I'd paid!
The bar was open till 4am too!

• Stayed November 2012
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
• Moohames; Congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for your kind review. It is good to read that you enjoyed a “stunning” day with us.
We do include complimentary accommodation for our wedding couples when they choose to book our inclusive wedding package. I gather you preferred to make bespoke arrangements – which is of course absolutely fine, however in that case I’m afraid that the various complimentary elements included within the package are not available – sorry!
I have also looked into the question of starters, evidently (and most unusually) some guests asked for a different starter to that which you had chosen following your “tasting” for your 60 or so guests. The starters were all prepared and those not served had to be thrown away, hence the charge for the additional starters which were prepared and served. I do hope that clarifies that point satisfactorily.

Notwithstanding that I am delighted that you had a great day, and that my colleagues played their part in making it so for you both. Thank for your review and also for your kind email to my colleagues
solihull
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed only one night and were encouraged to upgrade to an Executive room. It was big, really big with a lovely new big 6ft bed. There was room for a dining table and 4 chairs, and a 2 seater & 2 arm chairs, as well as a writing desk. So what's wrong you ask? Well the TV reception was atrocious from an old 80s TV. The shower lacked any pressure. Generally the hotel needed external refurbishment and decoration with window frames rotting and guttering missing. The leisure facilities were ok, although the hike and need to take your room key with you to get from the pool to the sauna & steam room was cold and wet. They also managed to be cleaning the Stream room and Jacuzzi on the separate occasions we wanted to use them. Sorry we cannot recommend it. Sure with investment it could step up to 4 stars

Room Tip: Go for the Executive room, 221, but make sure they have replaced the TV first
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank liondavec
Liondavec; Thank you for taking the time out to review your stay with us, whilst I’s pleasing to read you appreciated the size and comfort of your room, I am sorry to read that the tv reception was not up to scratch.
The property is currently undergoing redecoration, though as you can imagine it is a costly and time consuming task, I’m pleased to say that we are making steady progress with much more in the planning.
Whilst we do place emphasis on cleaning, it does seem unfortunate that the sauna/ steam rooms were being cleaned on both occasions you visited – they are thoroughly cleaned first thing in the morning and then “topped up” throughout the day as may be necessary- really this should not be any more than a 5 minute job – sorry if that caused you inconvenience.

I am sorry that at the moment you feel unable to recommend us, albeit we currently hold 4 solid stars and 2 rosettes.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The rooms and some parts of the common.areas are old , tired and very much in need of refurbishment. Refurbishment seems to be in progress, part by part. The room we were in was very tired indeed, no minibar, old tv, old flowery wallpaper. Not even fridge or bottle of water. Old brass worn light fittings.

That being said, it is undeniable that the old girl has a certain charm to her. The grounds are lovely , got to see the peacocks. What really won me over though was dinner, it was exceptional.

The newly rerbushed parts are very good, when completed we will go back, but only to a refurbished room.

Ps free WiFi was provided.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank BarryM157
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
• BarryM157;Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. Firstly the positive – as you say the “Old Girl” certainly has her charms; she has been around since the late 1800’s after all. Needless to say I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed the grounds, met the peacocks, liked those areas which we have so far refurbished and appreciated the complimentary wifi service. Thanks in particular for your “exceptional” rating of dinner – Chef will be as to read that.
As for our bedrooms – whilst I wouldn’t entirely disagree that they would benefit from updating to a more contemporary, I can’t help feeling that you are perhaps a little hard on us; of course all such reviews are subjective and equally appreciated. The phased refurbishment of bedrooms is very much at the front of our minds and I hope to be in a position to welcome you back to one of our new rooms in the non-too distant future.
Poole, Dorset
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here for the second time, first was when visiting Whipsnade Zoo and this time when going to the Leavesden Studios for the HP tour.

The main part of the hotel is a really pretty historic building with all the old fireplaces and panelling. Floors in the rooms are a bit creaky but what you would expect from an old property. Rooms were clean & tidy with good amenities, bed was quite firm but not uncomfortably so.

Breakfast was included in our booking and provided a good choice. Great value overall and a lovely countryside location within easy driving distance of attractions.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hinesadapo
• hinesadapo; it is always a pleasure to welcome back our returning guests, I’m pleased that you enjoyed your most recent visit and thank you for your positive review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
The Grove Hotel
The Penny Farthing Hotel
The Penny Farthing Hotel
#2 of 2 in Berkhamsted
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!