“Old England”

Pendley Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed in Pendley Manor Hotel for two nights when travelling in business. Charming place, beautiful old manor building with very professional and friendly staff. The fitness room is well equipped, small pool is suitable for relaxing and you can find an absolutely beautiful running route along the ridge. Breakfast created a perfect start for the day with beautiful room, white table cloths and napkins and nice views to the garden. When being served the fresh coffee and toast by the black tied waiter you felt like 100 years back in time. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AnnaSK
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Thank you AnnaSK, it is always a pleasure to welcome our guests from further afield. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful part of “Old England”
Thanks for your positive remarks
We too look forward to welcoming you back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,204)

Reviewed April 14, 2012

I've just come back from Pendley having enjoyed a wonderful, 3 day break by myself, and wanted to express my thanks. I've been lucky enough to stay a few times now, as I live locally. The hotel has a charming, personal feel and with such a warm and friendly atmosphere, I've never felt uncomfortable being on my own. I honestly don't believe the food can be beaten, both in terms of service, and the variety and quality offered and nothing is too much trouble. Recovering from a recent illness, I wanted to spend a fair amount of time in my room just reading and relaxing, so treated myself to one of the spacious Executive Rooms. I'd brought some fresh flowers with me and a vase was hastily delivered. The furnishings are traditional, but the room was clean, cosy and comfortable - a real home from home. As I'm often thirsty I brought my own bottled water, but wondered if this might be something that might be considered in the future to add to the tea and coffee tray in the room perhaps? Pendley Manor makes a perfect little escape from the challenges of busy family life and I'd recommend to anyone who might fancy a couple of stress free days unwinding in beautiful and peaceful surroundings.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Lindylupin, Thank you for taking the time comment on your stay and particularly for expressing your appreciation. I am delighted that you have chosen to stay with us again and that you were not disappointed. Your remarks concerning the friendly atmosphere are much appreciated as are your observations regarding the meals that you enjoyed. I do hope that your relaxing break will contribute to a full and speedy recovery, and that we can welcome you “home” soon

Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed for two nights for a friends wedding. Location and grounds amazing, peacocks walking round were a lovely touch. Staff very friendly when checking in and very accomodating. The main function rooms very quirky and clean. Unfortunely our bedroom dated, bathroom very basic and definetly requires updating, wooden toilet seat varnish coming off which made it look quite grubby. Also not enough plugs around the room, had to plug in mobile phone on opposite side of the room!! Breakfast really tasty . Good overall value for money.

• Stayed: April 2012

Bschins – Thank you for your review. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your friend’s wedding and that you both enjoyed the property as well as finding the team friendly. Thanks also for your observations regarding your bedroom, some of which as you say are perhaps a little dated. I am currently working on the next phase of our refurbishment which I hope will incorporate some more of our bedroom stock. Never the less I am pleased that you felt your stay represented good value.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Wanting to have a night away with the other half but without wanting to travel too far, I did a search of possible options within my search parameters and this was the venue I opted for. Well I wasn't disappointed.
Set in lovely grounds, about 12 miles off the M25 (Junc 20 for A41) is Pendley Manor. From the A41 its well sign-posted to the hotel and upon arrival we found ample parking space. We had opted from the dinner, bed, breakfast tariff as we wanted a base rather than an exploring break and the checking in process was simple and handled by professional, efficient front of house staff. The hotel itself retains a lot of the original structure but has obviously been added to over the years but done so in such a way as not to lose too much of its original charm. There is a porter service should you require assistance with your bags otherwise there are ramps and lifts to make easy access to first/second floors. We had a four poster room on the first floor and the room itself was spacious with plenty of storage space. Some may say the decor was a little tired, but to be honest I just found it to me in keeping with the hotel's overall personality. The room was well equipped, TV with a limited variety of channels, a trouser press (ours was a bit temperamental but my patient husband soon mastered it!) and tea/coffee facilities. There was a free wi-fi service and the speeds must have been good as we were able to watch the cricket in the morning on my iPad with no interference quality of picture. The bathroom was clean with nice toiletries and a great overhead shower. The only thing I'd point out to ladies is the hairdryer is one of the in-bathroom units. Which would probably dry hair eventually, but would not be any use for styling. So I'd advise to take your own if a hairdryer is needed.
A walk round the grounds before dinner seeing the peacocks was very pleasant and a drink in the comfortable Shakespeares bar added to setting up a very nice evening (an observation I'd make is that the drinks in the bar were a bit on the pricey side). Dinner was taken in the Oak Dining room, which is a lovely airy room with tables to suits various size parties. As we were on the DBB rate, we could choose from a set menu (giving three options per course) or opt to choose from the a la carte, but paying anything over £27.50 which was the dinner rate per person. The food was very good, served by friendly, attentive staff. The wine list was good too - plenty of choice to suit palate and budget.
Had a great nights sleep, no noticeable noise intrusion and a very comfy bed. We had breakfast in our room (modest tray charge of £2 per person) and would thoroughly recommend the full english! Only minor gripe was that the food was just veering towards warm rather than hot. That aside no other issues.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to coming back to it again. It also offers afternoon tea (looked fab, but we didn't try it ourselves) and also has Spa facilities (again didn't try them so can't comment further)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Sunny636 – Thank you for such a positive review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. I have noted your helpful observation with regard to the hairdryer.
Thanks again – we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed April 3, 2012

We have eaten at Pendley Manor before, but this was our first stay. Prior to arrival communication and organisation of our visit was thoroughly efficient and well handled.
The evening meal was excellent ('English' cuisine), the breakfast 'as much as one could eat' style, with a reasonable if not exhaustive range of items to choose from.
Staff were excellent, helpful and friendly throughout the hotel: at reception, in the bar, restaurant... and room service, when Mrs P wanted an ironing board.
Decor in the public spaces is 'Victorian', which appealed more to my partner than myself. The grounds are English country house style, as one might expect.
Accommodation was OK, though a bit dated, tired and faded.
On balance: we had a thoroughly nice time, particularly enhanced by the quality of the staff; for the price paid I'd expect somewhat better rooms.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

11diner11 – Thanks for taking the time to review your visit. I’m pleased that you had a thoroughly nice time and that having dined with us previously you again enjoyed both dinner and breakfast. As always it is great to read that my colleagues were excellent in delivering our ethos of a friendly and helpful service.
We look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a family gathering,
Beautiful location-sitting out on the lawns with the peacocks walking aroung in the sun,having afternoon tea-what more can you ask!
Staff were very welcoming and helpful especially to my elderly mother-in-law. We had a four poster bedroom which was very large,shame the windows did not open properly,but that was no problem as a fan had been supplied.Must say had the best nights rest in a hotel for ages, bed was very comfortable.
The function was smoothly and expertly executed. The nibbles were delicious and the sit down buffet meal was wonderful,my husband said it was the best sea-bass he has tasted in many years. The room was beautifully decorated and the whole evening went off without any hitches-just enjoyment.
Breakfast this morning was yummy,all the right things - fresh fruit, cooked food and cold food.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of arranging a wedding or similar.
Would love to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask to look over gardens and not front car park
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sanbran
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

Sandybrandy: Thanks for this lovely review; I’m so pleased that you and your family had a great time with us. I’m afraid that the ubiquitous Health & safety regulations require us to restrict how much windows can be opened. Nevertheless it’s nice to know you had a really good night’s sleep.
Pleased to read that you enjoyed the meal at your family gathering and that breakfast was “Yummy”!
Thanks also for your recognition of my colleagues, such feedback is always appreciated.
As you say : “Beautiful location-sitting out on the lawns with the peacocks walking around in the sun, having afternoon tea-what more can you ask!”
We hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed March 27, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for a Saturday evening as her firm's Dinner Dance was taking place there. First impressions were very good, beautiful grounds & peacocks. Efficient check in and porter on hand to help with our bags. The room was spacious with 2 double beds, after a while you start to notice the decor is a bit scruffy & dated. The bathroom was definitely not 4* but it was clean and functional.
As it bills itself as a Spa Hotel I was really looking forward to enjoying the facilities and what a disappointment.
To get to the gym I had to walk, in my trainers through the pool area, down a couple of corridors. As there was no one else there - I guess other people had given up trying to find it, it was fine but not anything special. After my work out I wanted a sauna so I had to go back through the various corridors, back through the pool area and change in a tiny changing room which opened directly onto the main entrance corridor. Then went back through the swimming pool, through the corridors (which when wearing trainers the dirty carpets didn't bother me but they weren't so pleasant in bare feet) to find the very small sauna. Completely bizarre that anyone could think the layout was workable let alone a 4 * Spa Hotel.
My friend had tried more than a month before our stay to book 3 treatments and no one responded to her email.
It was a very nice venue for a Dinner Dance. The food wasn't overly brilliant but then catering for 100+ guests it seldom is. The service was very good though. I would have liked to have experienced breakfast in the main dining room but we were put in a separate room with my friend's colleagues and attention to detail in there was definitely lacking.
If the leisure facilities had been better I would probably have been tempted to book a stay with my husband so we could enjoy the grounds and try out the restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Itsysmum
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

• MrsThrog Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to read that you found your accommodation to be clean and comfortable and also that you enjoyed the dinner dance which you attended with your friend. I am also grateful for your positive remarks concerning the levels of service that you encountered during your stay.
I am however concerned to read that evidently we failed to respond to your friends e-mail enquiry of a month or so ago regarding booking treatments. Please pass on my apologies, unusual as it is, I would like to get to the bottom of that. Could you let me know your friends e mail addresses so that I can search the system and hopefully ascertain what happened?
Thanks also for you observations regarding the spa facilities – I do agree that the present layout is a bit quirky – really as a consequence of the layout of the building. I will certainly look at additional signage which may be helpful. We are in the process of upgrading the Hotel, a future phase of which will involve a redesign and upgrade of the leisure facilities – your comments in that respect are helpful- thanks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Premier Inn Tring Hotel
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#5 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!