“Its unspeakably bad”
Review of Champneys Tring

Champneys Tring
Reviewed September 22, 2006

It's tired and reminds me of a 1960's holiday camp. You arent allowed to choose not to drink, or to eat dry bread or have cheap and sauceless steak...........it's forced on you.

As a spa, they need more treatment staff. You have to book about 6 weeks before.....just like Centre Parcs. Why on earth should you have to plan your stay so far in advance? It's stressful and boring and living on it's Joan Collinsesque reputation. Stay away!

The rooms are like staying in a private hospital..........clean and functional but you'd really rather be at home ......... or almost anywhere else.

Then when you try to call the outsde world your mobile doesn' work......it costs $10 a minute or so to call...........and they dont have minibars so you have to ask for water ...which they charge for.

It is the worst place I have stayed in for 3 years.......and I stay in about 50 hotels a year.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
6  Thank ReallyFussy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,887)

Reviewed August 20, 2006

I have just returned from a weekend stay at this hotel.As a hotelier in London I would classify this place as below sub standard considering that for the price you can get a top of the range 5 star hotel in Central London with all the facilities.I should have read the reviews before booking but common flaws were.

1.Bathroom Showers mouldy.
2.Safe not working.
3 Bathroom door lock not working.
4.Wall paper peeling off everywhere.
5.Spa facilities were well below normal gym standards.No wonder nobody uses them.

etc etc.I could go on forever.

I asked for an upgrade for the room but was told it was full.did not complain because it is not the staff's fault that mangement are not putting the requisite investment and charging for a product which is way below standard.

The only plus point was the food but I will certainly not recommend this place to anybody unless it improves drastically.
The brand is definitely being devalued!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank hoteltravellor
Reviewed July 23, 2006

We were shown our room after 2.00pm on Saturday and the receptionist gave us the impression we were being given a great room with a balcony (we were delighted at the prospect of a lovely balcony, which seemed to be subsequently the only selling point of the room). To be honest, the room was sub standard, considering what we were paying for a single evening’s stay, at a rate that is comparable to a top hotel anywhere in Central London. However I didn’t feel the need to complain. I did genuinely believe that Champneys did look a bit weary and that the rooms in the older part of the resort were probably a bit worse for wear.

Unfortunately, in hindsight, I should have immediately called my dissatisfaction to the attention of the staff. My sister suffers from severe asthma and during the night due to the spores caused by severe damp very visible in our room, she suffered an asthma attack. On check out I spoke to the manager on duty who was to say the least, unsympathetic and unhelpful. The apology we received was wholly unsatisfactory and there was no offer to mitigate our experience on any level, be it a minor discount on our stay, a treatment at Champneys London etc.

Apparently our room was due for refurbishment. Surely as policy if this is something Champneys was aware of none of these rooms should be booked out to full paying guests?
Not a single person from reservation to reception noted this to us, but upon receiving a complaint, it seemed this was the most viable excuse.

I cannot stress how disappointed, both my sister and I were at the treatment from Champneys with no possible suggestion of resolution given. There was absolutely no customer service in the slightest. With their pompous attitude but yet low standard of service I am surprised they are still in business!

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank holygolightly
A TripAdvisor Member
Middlesex UK
Reviewed May 9, 2006

I first visited Champneys in Tring in the year 2000 and enjoyed 4 fabulous days of pure indulgent pampering. I returned home - some 5 miles away - and virtually became an ambassador for Champneys, albeit unknown to them! I felt totally relaxed in mind, body and spirit and had received a complete M.O.T.

The first health spa (The Roman Baths of Bath) does not require an acknowledgement from me but, however, I feel I must vent my frustration and disappointment on subsequent visits to Champneys, both at Tring and Henlow Grange. The problems that I and my business colleagues, family and friends have subsequently experienced since 2003 are too numerous to mention. Suffice to say that Champneys has lost my 'devotion' and I am now searching for a replacement.

The good points at Champneys are excellent food and wines - magnificent grounds - calming atmosphere.

The bad points are virtually zero customer service - 'conveyor belt style' treatments - overpricing (both on upgrades and treatments) and a feeling of dismay and frustration throughout. Longstanding, regular customers to Champneys are vowing never to return, myself included.

What was once a unique experience has now become relegated to the past.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 8, 2006

The hospitality is very good, if your room is not up to scratch they will upgrade you.
I stayed in one the the top rooms 4 poster bed and sunken bath it was really excellent

• Stayed: April 2004
5  Thank leedel
Reviewed March 30, 2006

We had booked a two night three day package, sharing a twin room and were not disappointed. The room was very modern and clean (we didn't have blue plastic chairs so don't know where the previous reviewer had them from!)The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful and all seemed to have a smile on their faces. There was plenty of exercise activities to do between treatments both indoor and out, although did think there could have been a little more to do in the evening. They did have either a talk or demonstration each night but the more interesting ones were later in the week after we'd gone - cookery, belly dancing etc (we had a piano recital!) The choice of food was wonderful and all delicious. I liked the optional glass of hot water and lemon that was brought round to your room at 7.30am each morning. There were lovely Champneys products in the bathroom which were also sold in the shop at a very reasonable price. A small gripe is the smoking room situated in the older part of the mansion house. I don't smoke but my friend does so I went with her a couple of times and sat in the various rooms outside and around the smoking lounge and they all smelt of stale smoke. I'm sure there must be a way of keeping these areas a bit fresher smelling! Mind you I met some very interesting people whilst sitting there on my own so that more or less made up for the smell! A few people we met were disappointed that they could not get the treatments they wanted as it was so busy. The brochure recommends that you book these two weeks ahead so it's remembering that although some ladies did say you either have to e mail or fax your requirements through as they don't take them over the phone and unfortunately did not have access to either of these methods of communication. One other thing - if you don't know the way to Champneys and you're travelling by car, don't put the postcode into your tomtom or RAC route or whatever - you end up at the back gate! The receptionist says this happens all the time and advises you to put the road name in instead.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Marty350
A TripAdvisor Member
Pinner
Reviewed March 12, 2006

I was very disappointed as I went expecting to stay in some luxury. I realise tastes vary but the room was basic to say the least, considering I paid £285 for a mini break, i.e. staying for just the one night! Simplicity can be lovely but only if corners are not cut and, in the case of the bedrooms, cheap furniture, blue plastic chairs, blue plastic headboards - basically devoid of any sort of individuality or charm - did not make for a pleasant experience. All this would be fine if it was cheaper, i.e. it's what I would expect if I was staying at a TravelLodge and, hence, would not be disappointed. I wouldn't go again as if I was paying those prices I'd rather stay in a lovely hotel that happens to have a gym and pool.

The food was fabulous (but you have to pay an extra £1.25 if you want a boiled egg for breakfast!!) It's changed from the Champneys of old and is now more reminiscent of a business conference centre which was very disappointing!

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Hartwell House
3 mi away
Chartridge Lodge
Chartridge Lodge
#2 of 2 in Chesham

Been to Champneys Tring? Share your experiences!