“New Style -v- Old Style Champneys”
Review of Champneys Tring

Champneys Tring
A TripAdvisor Member
Middlesex UK
Reviewed May 9, 2006

I first visited Champneys in Tring in the year 2000 and enjoyed 4 fabulous days of pure indulgent pampering. I returned home - some 5 miles away - and virtually became an ambassador for Champneys, albeit unknown to them! I felt totally relaxed in mind, body and spirit and had received a complete M.O.T.

The first health spa (The Roman Baths of Bath) does not require an acknowledgement from me but, however, I feel I must vent my frustration and disappointment on subsequent visits to Champneys, both at Tring and Henlow Grange. The problems that I and my business colleagues, family and friends have subsequently experienced since 2003 are too numerous to mention. Suffice to say that Champneys has lost my 'devotion' and I am now searching for a replacement.

The good points at Champneys are excellent food and wines - magnificent grounds - calming atmosphere.

The bad points are virtually zero customer service - 'conveyor belt style' treatments - overpricing (both on upgrades and treatments) and a feeling of dismay and frustration throughout. Longstanding, regular customers to Champneys are vowing never to return, myself included.

What was once a unique experience has now become relegated to the past.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,844)

Reviewed May 8, 2006

The hospitality is very good, if your room is not up to scratch they will upgrade you.
I stayed in one the the top rooms 4 poster bed and sunken bath it was really excellent

• Stayed: April 2004
5  Thank leedel
Reviewed March 30, 2006

We had booked a two night three day package, sharing a twin room and were not disappointed. The room was very modern and clean (we didn't have blue plastic chairs so don't know where the previous reviewer had them from!)The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful and all seemed to have a smile on their faces. There was plenty of exercise activities to do between treatments both indoor and out, although did think there could have been a little more to do in the evening. They did have either a talk or demonstration each night but the more interesting ones were later in the week after we'd gone - cookery, belly dancing etc (we had a piano recital!) The choice of food was wonderful and all delicious. I liked the optional glass of hot water and lemon that was brought round to your room at 7.30am each morning. There were lovely Champneys products in the bathroom which were also sold in the shop at a very reasonable price. A small gripe is the smoking room situated in the older part of the mansion house. I don't smoke but my friend does so I went with her a couple of times and sat in the various rooms outside and around the smoking lounge and they all smelt of stale smoke. I'm sure there must be a way of keeping these areas a bit fresher smelling! Mind you I met some very interesting people whilst sitting there on my own so that more or less made up for the smell! A few people we met were disappointed that they could not get the treatments they wanted as it was so busy. The brochure recommends that you book these two weeks ahead so it's remembering that although some ladies did say you either have to e mail or fax your requirements through as they don't take them over the phone and unfortunately did not have access to either of these methods of communication. One other thing - if you don't know the way to Champneys and you're travelling by car, don't put the postcode into your tomtom or RAC route or whatever - you end up at the back gate! The receptionist says this happens all the time and advises you to put the road name in instead.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Marty350
A TripAdvisor Member
Pinner
Reviewed March 12, 2006

I was very disappointed as I went expecting to stay in some luxury. I realise tastes vary but the room was basic to say the least, considering I paid £285 for a mini break, i.e. staying for just the one night! Simplicity can be lovely but only if corners are not cut and, in the case of the bedrooms, cheap furniture, blue plastic chairs, blue plastic headboards - basically devoid of any sort of individuality or charm - did not make for a pleasant experience. All this would be fine if it was cheaper, i.e. it's what I would expect if I was staying at a TravelLodge and, hence, would not be disappointed. I wouldn't go again as if I was paying those prices I'd rather stay in a lovely hotel that happens to have a gym and pool.

The food was fabulous (but you have to pay an extra £1.25 if you want a boiled egg for breakfast!!) It's changed from the Champneys of old and is now more reminiscent of a business conference centre which was very disappointing!

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2005

Spent 4 nights and 5 days here last week. The first time I had been somewhere like this and went on my own-which lots of people do and it is a good place for it. There is a mixture of people and you can sit on your own tables at meals or at the Champneys table where you can meet other guests. Stayed in a superior room in the mansion building, which was lovely and cannot compliment the place enough. Everything was well organised the staff were exceptionally genuine and friendly and there is a relaxed happy atmosphere. The new facilities (not shown on website yet) new pool, gym etc is excellent and there are activites all the time and you can do as much or little as you want. The treatments are really good with a wide range too. The food was outstanding, I have come back feeling so relaxed and de stressed, I feel like I have been put back together again. this will definately become a bi-annual event for me!! I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank HMax
Reviewed May 12, 2005

I had a two-night weekend break here with a friend. It was enjoyable and relaxing from the moment we arrived. We had a very nice, modern room; lots of block colours and a tv with dvd player (a limited selection of dvds is available from reception for free). I'm not fond of chintz so it was nice to have a floral-free room.

I had 4 treatments in total; 2 of which were included in the package price. They were all excellent and the therapists were very pleasant.

It's quite a small place so is very easy to orient yourself around. Beautiful grounds which could be accessed direct from our room.

The food was excellent and the staff very friendly.

The only reason this isn't a 5 star review was our rather rushed Sunday morning. We both had treatments at 9.30 which meant we had to pack and have breakfast and my friend had to check us out because I was still in a treatment. That wasn't a very relaxing start to the day. I have to say though that we were allowed to stay as long as we liked on our last day so we had plenty of time to relax later.

That really was the only negative to our stay. I would definitely go back again and hope to next year!

• Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank ronne
Reviewed January 7, 2005

Can't understand anyone complaining about this place it's fantastic!!

Stayed here in May 2004 and I am returning in June 2005. I stayed with an aunt in a superior twin garden room (in the garden wing) and we found the entire experience wonderful.

We had massages, facials, stress wraps and a jacuzzi syle bath and scrub experience.

The stafff were hard-working but very nice (lots of foreign staff obviously travelling around the world). The food was excellent. The mansion itself was lovely with grand public rooms that have been preserved fantastically.

They had a dance studio, gym, beauty therapy area (make-up lessons), nail studio, hairdresser, shop, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, art and crafts studio, tanning salon etc - so plenty to keep you occupied.

There was also two relaxation rooms with comfort beds and soft relaxation music (one is completely dark - where you tend to fall asleep - the other where you can relax and read).

DVD's can be hired (for free) from a huge list available at reception.

The fact that you can lounge about in your dressing gown and slippers (which are complimentary and you can even take the slippers home with you) make your stay so relaxing. The only time you have to 'dress' is for evening dinner and even then casual smart is the dress code. Royalty were there when we visited but because of the relaxed atmosphere no-one looked any different from anyone else.

Aboslutely fantastic and well worth a visit and right now you can get fantastic deals so check out their website. GO GO GO

7  Thank holidayfanatic1991
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
2 mi away
#1 of 1 in Wendover
The Watermill Hotel
The Watermill Hotel
#9 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Champneys Tring? Share your experiences!