“A wonderful Christmas break”
Review of Champneys Tring

Champneys Tring
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I spent 5 nights at Champneys over Christmas and couldn't fault the service, amenities or anything about the resort. The house and gardens are superb and I really appreciated the very high standards that are maintained in every aspect. Little things like a log fire roaring away in the main hall fireplace at 8 am every morning, a fantastic Christmas gift of full size luxury Champneys products left on my bed on Chrstmas eve, glimpsing deer in the dawn light as I walked around the frosty grounds, going for a dip in the hot outdoor jacuzzi at dusk ... these are the things I'll remember about what was a magical, stress-free break. I was treated with courtesy throughout and left feeling thoroughly pampered. Thank you, Champneys. I will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: The mansion house rooms give you that extra sense of 'living the life'!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed January 1, 2014

If one of the reasons you are thinking of going to Champneys is to relax seriously think again; if you are looking to be served by staff who care or even know what they are doing think again.

Champneys, I suggest, markets it's self on being a high-end resort that is an aspiration for many people - but if their customer base has ever experience any level of customer service anywhere else they will be disappointed by Champneys on almost every level.

With the expectation of the sports and leisure team all the staff give the impression that you are either invisible or something that is stopping them chatting to their mates.

When I made the booking I asked for a twin room; when I checked in I confirmed that the room would be twin room; when I got to the room (which wasn't a twin) reception said they would sort it and asked what time was suitable for me - I told them; when I got back to the room, after the time window offered to the reception team, when there was still no twin turn around, I called reception again, to get no reply, so called the housekeeping department, to be told, "I have no staff on at the moment and I am not going to do it for you" - this isn't five star service, this is poor two star service. I had to result to speaking in a dominant tone to a middle manager to get the issue sorted - nothing like adding stress to your stay.

I can list all the things that are wrong with Champneys, but not sure it's the resort or the facilities, just the rudeness and indifference of the staff - if you don't care about service or people being indifferent to you, even though you paying good money for it, then this is the place for you. If you expect something that is better than poor.. .. .. .. .. I suggest staying at home

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David M
Reviewed December 31, 2013

i have stayed in all the champneys and this is by far the best. I had a week here, i wouldn't recommend a day trip to any of the champneys as you get to relax so much more with the stay, plus the dinner in the evening is fantastic.

Same as all of the champneys the treatments are good but they are sometimes under time so book the longer ones if you can. The facials here are fantastic and the rooms are clean, i stayed in the main house on the roof of games room and it was beautiful.

Long walk in the morning before breakfast is worth it even if you don't do anything else, it sets you up for the day . i love that you can walk around in your dressing gown all day.

The lunch is hearty, the evening seminars are sometimes very interesting and helpful for del being.

you have the choice of sitting on your own at dinner if you go on your own or sharing the champneys table which is initially daunting but then you realise everyone is there for so many different reasons and can be fun.

The only thing i would say is that it is a great disappointment they closed the art room. I would stay far more often if they had this back. I am no painter but it was like therapy being able to paint or sculpt and when i went there for the first time 10 years ago it started my passion for painting.. Please let me know if they bring this back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Claire W
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I went to Tring on a 5 night Christmas break offer. Overall the break was good - largely due to the fact that I was there on a special offer, there were relatively few guests, and a special effort had been made for Christmas. I saw no refurbishment works during my visit and much of the tired building was hidden/distracted by sparkly decorations, although some of it is clearly in need of a facelift.

The spa treatments are not good value, for example:
- £25 for thalassotherapy, which most spas offer for free
- treatments tend to start late and finish early so they are more expensive per minute than they look
- some of the treatments are not very good - e.g. I booked a 25 minute back and shoulder massage (£40) which only lasted 15 minutes and seemed to consist of ineffectual doodling, despite asking for strong pressure
- some therapists work when they should be off sick; I had treatments with therapists who I could hear sniffing every 2 minutes and/or who had serious digestive issues, which was not at all relaxing and made me worry that I would pick up their germs.

Having said all that, I also had a good facial - but that was one good treatment out of 5. Perhaps the 3 treatments on offer as part of my package were on offer precisely because they were not particularly popular or good?

Reservations were brilliant (on the phone and by email) but, on arrival, check in was irritatingly slow (as was check out).

The fitness classes I went to were good and the instructors were enthusiastic and competent. The fitness facilities at Tring are fine, and over the Christmas period the (reduced number of) classes were not oversubscribed - but on my final day, the number of guests increased significantly and some of the facilities became so busy that it was not very restful or pleasant to use them (queues for sauna and for gym equipment, busy swimming pool, making swimming lengths tricky). I heard from other customers that there can be serious problems in getting into exercise classes unless you book in advance (and pay £3 per class extra for the privilege).

The food was tasty and fresh but the booking system for meals doesn't really work (on my last evening, I booked dinner for 7pm, but had to wait nearly 25 minutes for someone to take my order - and I wasn't even offered a piece of bread during my wait!).

The most worrying thing was the Champneys feedback form - despite pointing out some fairly serious problems (eg for a spa to have poor treatments is pretty damning) the form still rated my satisfaction as 87.5% - I went back to review the form and on each occasion it automatically converted some of my negative ratings into positive ones!

Given that Tring is meant to be Champneys flagship resort, I was disappointed - and I would have been REALLY disappointed if I had chosen the resort primarily for the spa treatments. The facilities are OK, but no better than many of its competitors - competitors who seem more committed to improvements and to customer satisfaction than Champneys.

I really hope that Champneys accepts and responds to the feedback it is receiving via TripAdvisor, otherwise all its fancy refurbishment works and filming will be in vain.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank KFofCStP
Reviewed December 30, 2013

By reading the latest reviews, which happened after we booked our stay at Champneys Tring, I have to say that I was a bit worried about the overall quality of our experience there. However, having just returned home, I must say I was positively surprised.

There were no big signs of refurbishment going on (no noise or workers around) as mentioned before, no signs of the tv crew even though were were alerted they could be around (we were also told it's easy to just tell them if you don't want to be filmed, as it should be). So no problem with all that. Yes it's true, your room could be a bit of a walk back and forth, but I don't find this to be such a big deal. Sauna, steam room, jacuzzi - yes they are small, but they were not crowded. I think they are average - the same size you would find in a gym which has such facilities, and gyms are usually more crowded. The parking was quite full which meant there were enough guests around, but I never found any area to be overcrowded.

Treatments were pleasant, and the staff was very gentle and helpful at any level - from the management to the other personnel.

I can't say about the food because we dined in a restaurant in Amersham, nearby, but the breakfast was neither good nor bad - for an european at least, as I don't do eggs and sausages in the morning. There were fruits, cereals, toasts, jams, juices as well as tea and coffee of course.

The room was fine - typical hotel room, I've seen better rooms in other spa resorts, but it wasn't bad either - it was clean and spacious. Perhaps we are the type of travelers that spend time in the room just for a little rest, night sleep and getting a shower.

Value-wise? We went there with a PruHealth deal which was a steal for what you get (accommodation, facilities, treatments included in the price). If we had to pay £220.00 per person, I would find it excessive, however they do have different offers so I would say it's 3/5 for me.

Overall we'd definitely go back but on a deal offer as the full price stay it's just a bit above what you get

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Had a great day at Champneys, last week. A most relaxing time to go, just after Boxing Day. The staff were very friendly and helpful. As it was not too busy, it made using the facilities far more relaxing and enjoyable. A most relaxing day. I highly recommend it!!.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2013

For a 40th birthday treat my husband treated myself and my mother for a day at Champneys. I was very disappointed with the treatments, cleanliness of the place and attitude of some of the staff . The food however was lovely!! When emailed by Champneys to review our stay i wrote a letter describing all the disappointing factors of our time there (something i have never done before, but felt so strongly that they could charge so much for so little). I have never heard another thing from them, not even a letter of apology. I shall not be returning. A day at Centre Parcs Aquasauna at Longleet is half the price for alot more.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Pendley Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wendover
West Lodge Hotel
West Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Aston Clinton

Been to Champneys Tring? Share your experiences!