“Really gone downhill”
Review of Champneys Tring

Champneys Tring
“Really gone downhill”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Champneys used to be so lovely but it has REALLY gone downhill and is in dire need of a complete refurbishment. The 6 ladies showers by the pool are falling apart, frequently there are no towels when I get out of the pool and there is no music with aqua aerobics because the music speakers have been broken for months. The overall maintenance is very poor with light bulbs regularly blown and cleaning standards are poor, in particular over by the sauna/Jacuzzi area. I don't mind the dated decor but I would expect towels and decent working showers which don't alternate from freezing to scalding every minute!
Don't order anything from the cafe if you are in a hurry, it takes over 30mins to get a Panini, last week my tuna Panini took 50mins due to a mistake in the kitchen! Come on Champneys I know cutbacks sometimes need to be made and businesses are struggling in our financial climate but you are driving away loyal and regular customers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GlobalFin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Hungarian first
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had four very enjoyable days here and as my husband had gone of to France to play golf I was on my own.
It was great. I didn't have to please any one. I could do what I wanted when I wanted. My room was I the main house and it was beautiful. Food was very healthy and tasty, no rubbish all fresh.
Treatments are a bit pricey but you can pamper yourself every now and again. The grounds are very pretty and kept well. I would recommend this to anyone on their own or with a partner.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have been a regular at Champneys for over ten years, this as my first visit to Tring the "Flagship" had great expectations. On arrival the setting is magnificent, a lovely approach, receptions if very nice and the receptionist was really helpful, changing my robe for a much smaller size and smaller flip flops. However, after that I was unimpressed, we had booked a superior room which was in the old part of the building, the bathroom was lovely newly refurbished, but the shower screen around the bath didn't fit properly so consequently water leaked down the wall which then went into the back of the wardrobe, making the whole room smell damp and foisty, The furniture also left a lot to be desired as it was tired and had handles missing etc., and a whole drawer at one side. The room was very large, which was nice, but a little frayed around the edges, The whole place is in need of a refurbishment, some of the public toilets were really bad, Handles coming off showers in the changing rooms, and carpets are frayed. Treatments were of the usual high standard, however one particular member of staff on the treatment booking desk was rude and couldn't wait to turn off the lights and go home. Food was excellent, although you got the feeling that staff didn't really want to be there! Room service ook forever and many phone calls to find out what had happened.Exercise classes were really good although often different to those advertised. We did the trim trail in the morning, which was excellent and our instructor was very good. All in all it was a good stay but marred by small details, My advice stay at Springs or Forest Mere for a more pampering experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new art of the building these are more modern with large patio doors.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rose C
Williton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

What a day, only downside was not enough hours in the day to do everything there was on offer - perhaps a two day stay is the answer. Great staff and facilities, my husband is eager to go again. I went for a bike ride through the woods and had a whale of a time, haven't had so much fun on a bike since I was a child ... it has prompted me to dust off my bike and get moving. Well done Champneys.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

For the price I expected more. The setting and the main house are fabulous. However, everything else was a bit less than I hoped for. I had arranged the detail of our arrival time and treatments in advance as I know from experience that these can spoil such a trip. We had a pleasant lunch on arrival whilst we waited for our room to be got ready. We were disappointed when we saw it - it was tiny, the windows filthy, it was generally run down and it had obviously been laid out for one and not two people. So, instead of settling into relaxing I was walking to reception to ask to be swapped to another room. The staff on reception were helpful, but we should never have been put in the position of being fobbed off with inferior facilities.We were allocated another, slightly bigger room which was cleaner/ better and at least did not smell. We went for our first treatment. The therapist was lovely but unfortunately she was full of a cold. This spoiled what should have been a great experience and left me wondering how long it would be until I caught it too. The evening meal was sparse and the meat was tough. On the second day after breakfast, we were hoping to use our room but it was still not made up at 12.30pm. I was informed that staff normally prepare the rooms for the new arrivals first but that a special request was put in for us to have ours soon. In the afternoon we had another treatment, this time a facial. This was ok but the therapist was a little short on empathy and came across judgemental, not ideal. She suggested that a product she was using would be excellent for the condition of my hair. Unfortunately it has been lank and bedraggled ever since. My daughter, however, had a lovely facial with really excellent therapist so I suppose it is luck of the draw. The evening meal was a great disappointment with an artichoke salad to start followed by a main meal which was the same salad and dressing with a tiny piece of fish. The dessert was a minute portion of mousse. I had ordered wine to go with the meal which seemed OTT in the circumstances.

I feel sorry for those who go to Tring on their own as my experience was that you were left to your own devices unless you were splashing out on extras such as more treatments/ wine etc. The so called "talks and demonstrations" seemed to be callous opportunities to acquaint the customers with products from well known skin treatment ranges.

Also, be careful of the gravel on the drive. When trying to gain a better mobile signal (the reception is non-existent) I lost my footing and ended on my knees with a twisted ankle and cut knee and hand.

All in all, the main house and grounds are exquisite, the rest mostly acceptable and some of the rooms awful. The treatments vary in quality according to the therapist. The value for money was not there when you compare it with elsewhere. On balance I felt that it could and should have been better.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the 150's as these are worse than the others.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Can't fault it, I lived every minute of it. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the food was healthy and fantastic with a lovely variety. It is set in beautiful grounds which are great for walking. It is a fab way to relax and unwind and I thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013
Surrey
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My sister and I treat ourselves to a Champneys Tring stay every year to celebrate our Mum's birthday (she passed away 5 years ago) and it is a lovely memory to her. Also a very good excuse for us to just get away from day to day life. The staff are all very good and the treatments are lovely. The food this year was even better than previous years and we had a very good room overlooking the gardens, absolute bliss.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
Pendley Manor Hotel
Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa
Holiday Inn Aylesbury
Holiday Inn Aylesbury
#3 of 6 in Aylesbury

Been to Champneys Tring? Share your experiences!