“Relaxing Break”

Champneys Tring
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Relaxing Break”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My daughter I had took a two daybreak to relax and wind down.
We had a brilliant time . The facilities included everything we needed, swimming including Aqua-fit ,early morning walks and Yoga was just the gentle exercise we expected. We also pampered ourselves with a massage ,facial and manicure - the staff in the health spa were friendly and professional.
We thought the food exceptional and the staff in the dining room gave us very good service.
We both love fish and there was plenty to choose from.
We would certainly come back and bring others with us. Kath H

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Hungarian first
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We went for a relaxing weekend away on got a really good deal. There were a lot of good things about the weekend but also a lot of bad. Firstly positives. The service was good on check in. The spa facilities and treatments were well organised and great. The outside space is lovely to walk around and we had no problems finding a sun lounger and some peace and quiet even on a busy Saturday. The negatives, maintenance the rooms are really dated with no air conditioning so it was unbearable hot trying to sleep. The showers in the pool area were falling off the wall and I never figured out how to change the temperature in any shower I used. The toilets by the restaurant were horrible with not even a lock on them. The restaurant and cafe were on the whole good food although having sugar or butter was hard to get hold of. The staff were a bit mixed some had no idea about customer service and some were very good and at busy time tables were not even cleared away especially in the cafe attracting flies. On the whole it was a good weekend but I would not go back and would of been really disappointed if I had paid full price.

• Stayed July 2013
Tenby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have just returned from a two night Boot Camp at Tring. It was an amazing experience and although I went feeling nervous and worried that I would not be able to take part or not be able to undertake some of the activities I was encouraged and motivated by the amazing fitness team. Everyone was so welcoming and cheerful from reception, fitness team and restaurant staff. A truly memorable visit and I would recommend this to anyone looking to learn about diet, fitness etc.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Check in was smooth a f Georgie in reception was absolutely lovely , helpful and welcoming.
Treatments . I had a massage and facial which were both very good.
The spa area is lovely and clean and the facilities great. Included products and hair dryers and straightners in the changing area.
The staff are great, helpful and friendly .
The negatives are the mostly the food. The restaurant is very health conscience like a health farm or fat camp type menu. I was here with my daughter for a luxury relaxation break and not a weight loss break. Even so the options were very cheap options . Turkey and tofu . I would have preferred lobster and lean steaks . The place is marketed as luxury but the restaurant really let's it down. I have a medical condition which requires me to eat low fibre so I really struggled with all the nuts and seeds on offer. It's expensive so the food should really reflect the expectation.
The toilets near to reception were disgraceful , dirty finger marks everywhere and a broken lock.
The service in the terrace cafe was very slow and the coffee served was not good. The smoothies etc are served in cheap plastic containers and presentation could be seriously improved.

I wouldn't stay again. Mainly because of the food.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My fiancé and I had a great day at Tring. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't feel 'worth' the expense, but it definitely was! From the moment we arrived it felt relaxing, we were treated really well by all the staff, and both the facilities and the treatments/activities were exceptional.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I enjoyed our experience at Tring. The treatments were good, file and paint nails and toes. Enjoyed the aqua mitt class and the yoga was fantastic by Esther. Restaurant was exceptional, good varied range of hot and cold choices, service was fantastic as always. All the staff at Champney's were welcoming, friendly, confident and this added to our day making it perfect. Oh and Andy Murray won Wimbledon so I will always remember where we were on that momentous day ! The only gripe I had with the day was the guests, they kept reserving sunbeds and loungers, which was very frustrating !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jo S
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We spent the extra cash and got a suite, but it was clearly freshly painted so much so that I'm certain we got poisoned from the fumes and the windows got stuck due to the paint...I was expecting much more but the treatments were pedestrian and the restaurant was like you were in a fat farm so AVOID like the plague if you are a foodie like me! If you're after a health farm, this is perfect for you, but we weren't so will be avoiding Champneys in future. In summary, this was a semi-detox experience at a somewhat shabby hotel. It was comparatively cheap however to The Grove et al, but i STILL wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Don't stay there...just go for a mani-pedi.