“Amazing as always!”
Review of Champneys Tring

Champneys Tring
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went back to Champneys for the second year running, taking part in their 7 day Bootcamp. I have to say I found it even better this year, with a great fitness programme, delicious food and really informative nutrition programme. Nick, the Bootcamp Manager really motivates and encourages you to push yourself, and we did it willingly knowing we had a treatment at the end of every day. If you want to improve your fitness, loose a few pounds, or just detox from your busy life with some time out, I can highly recommend Champneys. Its the Bootcamp with focus, drive, pampering and a lot of laughs...I'll be back later in the year, I think I'm addicted!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Fussycitygirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,859)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Real shame that we were so looking forward to our trip to tring after new year. Our timetables were completely messed up and had to spend the first hour of our stay sorting it out. Then our keys didn't work to our rooms after several attempts at new keys. We missed all of the classes we wanted to do because of this! Our radiator was also broken. The spa was good but dinner, lunch and breakfast were terrible. One night we waited 45 minutes to be served! It took 15 minutes to get water at lunch and even then we went and got our own. Not all staff were incapable but some were. As regular costumers at champneys it is just disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AB_l0nd0n
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with girlfriends (we save up all year for a spa break away). It was an 'average' spa experience, which is sad given the amount of money they charge. These are my gripes: overbooking of fitness/wellbeing classes, late arrival for therapists for treatments, (on one occasion no therapist assigned and i had to chase up twice), dirty wine glass at supper, haphazard service at meal times, staff more interested in talking to each other than serving customers (except for reception, who were good). We decided the facilities were great but the management/delivery was average / poor.
Pluses:lovely setting / lots of facilities / classes / good range of beauty treatments at a reasonable cost.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jinny232
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I took my mum for Christmas - it was lovely and relaxing until she bit into a stone at lunch in her salad. It was a pebble from the garden and really bad for her because she just had surgery on her teeth. Staff promised to take care of it and said we would hear back soon. A month later, no one had got backt o us. I sent two emails to the manager and no reply - not even a formal apology.
I just found it so rude that nobody got back to us, especially when I had taken the time to write a thoughtful, fair email to them.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank rs123_123
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Champneys in Tring is a beautiful old house - a lovely location, and somewhere which used to have very high standards of customer service.

We went for an evening session - 5pm through to 10pm including dinner for £40. A very reasonable deal.

We were very disappointed by the overall management of the place. There were very few facilities, and almost everything was closed down by 7pm.

The meal was ok, but the steak was tough and overcooked and the asparagus starter was not the best asparagus.

Overall we had a sense that corners were being cut, the staff had little training in customer service, few efforts were made to focus on the needs of the client, and the overall value for money wasn't there.

I would have been very frustrated if we were going for a full day and there was so little to do.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I booked a break at Champneys for my wife's birthday as, what I was hoping would be, a nice surprise. With such a big brand and reputation, I couldn't see this being anything more than a great time away to start the new year; how wrong was I!

On check in we were greeted by less than enthusiastic staff, told to fill in paperwork and handed a couple of hotel packs along with the wrong size flip flops and dressing gowns. That done it was off to the first of the four rooms we were shown into. On the subject of rooms, they were beyond basic and very, very scruffy. To be honest, problems with the rooms aside, I was genuinely shocked by the standard of the accommodation - I actually felt a little embarrassed at the thought that my partner may have assumed I had seen pictures of these rooms prior to booking and thought they would enhance the relaxation of the break.

So, first room - dirty, stank of smoke and the windows were filthy; so much so that there was actual dirt and grime on the inside of the window. Quick phone call to reception resulted in a miserable looking staff member appearing at the door and handing us keys to a new room. He didn't show us in, just left us to get on with it.

Second room was unmade - bedding on the floor, rubbish everywhere and dirty tissues all over the bathroom. Another call to reception, a half hearted apology and the same staff member appeared at the door with promises of an upgrade to a superior room. Ok, we thought, maybe it'll get better.

Third room, the superior room, was disgusting. I enquired as to what made it a superior room and was told that it had "a patio..." Well, on pulling back the curtains we nearly choked on the dust. The curtains were half hanging off, the room was musty and had obviously not been cleaned in a long time. The bathroom was in a state of disrepair - different fittings on the taps, the entire tap unit was loose and shifted around when you used it and there was a large ball of pubic, yes pubic hair in the middle of the bathroom floor. Oh, and no toilet paper anywhere. Another phone call to reception on the dust covered phone...

We waited in the room and was next greeted by a Manager. Again, not very convincing apologies were given, but we were told a Garden Suite awaited. This room was better, still pretty basic, but more what we expected for the cost. So far we had been at the spa for about an hour and were close to checking out completely.

Instead we decided to check out the facilities as we had travelled a ways to get there and this was supposed to be a break for my partner, so off we went. I could go into detail about the problems with Champneys Tring, but instead here's the highlights:

- Spa treatments weren't booked, even after long discussions with the staff.
- The fire alarm went off at 00:25 on the first night; no apologies from staff or notifications about the disruption the next day.
- Outside jacuzzi had a cigarette packet, empty bottle of coke and a pile of dirty tissues right next to it at eye level. They were there for the 3 days we were.
- Mineral pool had broken areas.
- We saw numerous groups getting 'the tour'; we were never offered it.
- The staff were at times rude and extremely unhelpful for the most part.
- Decor is dated, communal areas are scruffy at best and the rooms are atrocious.
- The restaurant was awful. Breakfast was strange and unappetising (want an egg? expect to pay extra for it), lunch was edible to be fair but dinner was lacking choice, flavour, quality and quantity. Oh and there was broken glass on the floor, not great when you're encouraged to dress in robe and flip flops for daytime meals.
- The second night, we were one of four tables waiting for over 40 minutes for our starter, only to be brought our main course first. Also waited 20 minutes for water and butter.
- We experienced staff members ignoring us while we waited to be seated for meals; for one meal no less than 6 different staff members walked straight passed us without a word of greeting. A simple "someone will be right with you" would have sufficed.
- We spoke to numerous other guests that had also experienced horrors; a surprising amount considering we were only there for 3 days.

To sum this up, Champneys was a disappointment to say the least. The facilities need serious attention and maintenance, I have photos, the accommodation is an insult for the money you spend, the treatments are average, the staff are unhelpful and at times rude and the service in general is shocking.

There's more, much more but having wasted 3 days of my life ay Champneys I don't want to commit anymore to it by carrying on writing. I just wish I had read more about Champneys prior to my visit, so I hope this helps someone else save their money.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else, or if you want to risk it, make sure you book a suite or higher.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Matthew F
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

So I have been coming here for years, but I think I'm done now. I put up with "footballers wives" drunken hen nights ..encouraged by owner for "glamma" hated by other guests and staff. I put up with reducing included package treatments. However the staff were always amenable ...no longer ! This time staffed with minimum wage eastern Europeans . For example .. Upon asking if I could have orange juice "no water only "I persisted "cost more money" yes ! Could I see menu for prices ??? " no I tell you it's more"! Really !! watched this negativity played out at other tables. ..a different desert maybe??? "no more". Client points out its on menu "give me £3.50 extra I ask "

No I don't need this ..travelodge service at Ritz prices. All over the property nit picking meaness.. In cafe hardly any food available during day ... One member of staff on duty. Room service delay ONE hour .. "busy other people order " yes dear grumpy rude person ..that's why it's called ROOM service !! .. Just unfriendly/penny pinching financial cuts all over the property ..

#overit ... I m giving up my custom and going somewhere where they appreciate repeat buisness not just walking profit centre.

• Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank LondonPandora
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
The Grove Hotel
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa

Been to Champneys Tring? Share your experiences!