“Fantastic food and service”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Ranked #27 of 44 Restaurants in Tring
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Tring, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and service”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I visited the Black Horse for an early dinner with my 2 children on Thursday 16th May.

The staff were very welcoming and family orientated, interacting with and entertaining the children at every available opportunity.

The service was of a very high standard, food was cooked beautifully and delivered to our table very promptly.

I will be returning to dine in the near future and will not hesitate in recommending the Black Horse to all my friends.

Tring, Hertfordshire
“Poor service, poor food”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Been to this pub/resturant a few times. However my latest visit has put me off ever stepping foot in there again. Food is usually ok, nothing special and about £10 for a normal dinner (pie and chips, Roast etc). On our recent visit, we arrived (2 adults) with 2 children on a sunday at around 2pm. Ordered a starter (1 soup and 2 portions of bread) and 4 roast dinners. After 30 minutes they advised that they had no beef, so we changed an order to a beef pie instead. Starter took a while to arrive and was the wrong soup, they ran out of the one we ordered. No big deal really to us. The mains then took around 45 minutes to arrive after the starter, and the food was awful, and the portions were small. The beef was nasty, cooked wrong for the type of meat, stringy and horrible. The roast potatoes and all of the veg was frozen and reheated. A real poor show. £40 wasted to eat there. I resent paying that money when i could have cooked it better and quicker myself for less than half that.

Staff were pleasant enough despite the food being awful, but didn;t go out of their way.

Won't be visiting again in a hurry.

I would recommend going to Tesco, buying anything they have to offer and eating that at home. You'll enjoy it more.

1 Thank KarenD2B
“Lovely way to spend a bank holiday Monday...”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have no idea what the previous 3 reviews were on about! Today was a busy bank holiday Monday lunchtime, and we popped into the Black Horse for some lunch in the sunshine. Dinner was out quickly and was as described. No complaints there - and it was nearly heaving! The staff were friendly and helpful and were chatting to people in the garden and at the bar, creating a lovely local atmosphere.
Methink previous customers don't know about good service when they see it - would definitely go back!

“Awful STAY AWAY”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

without fail THE WORST EXPERIENCE I've ever had in a food establishment. Rude staff. Long wait. Cold food.No appolgese. And a general disregard for the clientele in a seemingly empty pub. Idea is to keep customers NOT drive them away.

2 Thank Robyngroom
Tring, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tragically terrible Thursday”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Thursday nights are "Main meals for £6" so my friends and I thought, bargain, and all took a trip down to the pub for a catch up and a nice meal out together. Little did we know what was in store..

We went up to the bar and placed our orders, obviously not all together as we don't own a friendly joint bank account, but one after the other and we were quite obviously all together - but apparently this was of great inconvenience, and we were later told we should've written our order down for them all together. Yes, because that's something I frequently think to do when I go out for food..?
When one of the girls was ordering, she went for steak - good choice - asked if she could have a sauce with that, and that she didn't mind paying a bit extra if so, response was "no, why do you think it's so cheap" - the quality polite and compassionate customer service begins.

2 of us did place the order together, and received food within 5/10 mins of ordering, but both mains and starters came together, so they were done and dusted before anyone else had glimpsed their starter.
A little while later, 2 more starters turned up, I was one of the lucky 2! Nothing else arrived for a while, then a lone starter made an appearance. Following this, 2 mains turned up, 1 being a steak without any sort of sharp implement to cut it with, so my friend had to chew on his not medium as requested steak, like a dog, and another for a person who still hadn't had her starter. Having had her luke warm meatballs wafted under her hungry nose they were whisked away, being told she'd get her starter first. All remaining starters did then eventually come out, but not till a good 20 mins later.
When these starters did arrive the waitress hurried us to take them from her hands as "we're very busy" - it was by no means quiet, but many of us sat in the group have worked busier shifts and still not tried to make the customer feel like it's their fault.

After all finally eating our starters, a fair while passed, we asked the staff how long it would be, they said things along the lines of "it's coming", "if you'd ordered all together it would be easier", "we're busy" -- bearing in mind by this point at LEAST 3 other parties had come in, received their starters all together and were now chowing down on their main courses.
At this point it no longer was the amusing experience we'd tried to shrug off with a laugh and a joke, it was pushing 2 hours from when we'd first ordered, and we were all going past the point of hunger, apart from obviously the 3/11 people that had successfully managed to eat a full meal.

We made a group decision to go back to the bar and ask for our money back, doing this caused quite the uproar, and we were told it was our fault for not ordering together, they were busy, that we weren't "going to starve to death", told if we didn't like it then we knew what to do, so with that, we finished our drinks, got our £6 and left.
We then took a trip up the road to the Akeman, and despite having to pay a little more; received hot, delicious meals, all together, within all of 10 minutes of arriving/ordering.

This is a real shame, as we come in here at the weekends a lot, for drinks, nibbles and most of all Duncs Disco - but unfortunately this evening really ruined it for me, and the unapologetic, rude attitude of the staff was appalling.
I believe the phrase "the customer is always right" comes in to play, not that I necessarily always agree with this, firstly we shouldn't have been given reason to complain, but then to be basically told it's our fault and no responsibility for the situation taken by the staff, it's the worst customer service situation my friends and I have ever been in.

Poor show Black Horse, poor show.

1 Thank NatalieW92