“Good vibe,food and service but restaurant/bar is always cold!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Akeman

The Akeman
Ranked #17 of 41 Restaurants in Tring
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hertfordshire
“Good vibe,food and service but restaurant/bar is always cold!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is the 3rd time we've been here and sadly probably the last. The atmosphere is good, it has a nice vibe and looks pretty cool. The food is good as is the service however, this is tainted by the fact that each time we've been we have been cold! On our visit this time I kept my coat on for most of the evening! We wanted to finish the night in the bar but that didn't happen, my husbands words were 'I'm not paying anymore money to be cold'. We did ask if there was anything they could do and they tried to turn some heat up but it made no difference.

It's a shame as that aside it is a really nice place. Just make sure you have a jumper.

1 Thank Deborah B
TringEagle, Owner at The Akeman, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Hi Deborah, I'm really sorry to hear that you were cold the other night. I'm also really frustrated as I am very aware that warmth is a big part of comfort. Accordingly The Akeman is provided with a central heating system, three over door fan heaters, six air management cassettes and a wood burning stove so there is no reason for the place to be cold! This is management not responding quickly enough to changes in the weather.
I'm obviously pleased that you enjoyed the food, service and environment and it is such a shame that you might not come again because of an avoidable error. I would really like to invite you back for another meal at our expense and this time I will make sure that all the heating units have been turned on.
Please get in touch with me peter@oakmaninns.co.uk

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tring's trendy eaterie!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Tring might be considered rather conservative, but this place has a nice buzz, and the food is excellent - some dishes a little toppy, but still good value for money, as the mainly locally sourced ingredients are top quality.

Visited May 2012
Hertfordshire
“Yet another disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was the first time in maybe two years that my wife and I took courage to revisit The Akeman. Previously, our experiences had only been disappointments, so we’d given it a wide berth in order to avoid yet more wasted evenings. Well, one thing you can say about this place is that it has consistency! Yet again, a massive let-down.

I began with a prawn starter that was dry and totally lacking the garlic & chilli promise that the menu suggested. The prawns were dry and flavour-free. My wife had gravadlax which was an equal non-event, the smoked salmon being over-powered by the dill simply on account of the salmon being dry and tasteless. My wife went on to a burger. Dry seemed to be the name of the day as the meat was over-done and the bun dry and crumbly. A far better burger can honestly be had at The Robin Hood pub down the road, for heaven's sake! However, the chips actually turned out to be the best thing we had all evening. They were delicious! I made the mistake of having the seafood pasta from the main menu. There appeared to be several types of fish and seafood within this dish, but everything tasted exactly the same. That is, of absolutely nothing at all. The pasta itself had not been given the benefit of any seasoning whatsoever and, although the whole dish was deemed to be held together by a tomato, garlic and wine sauce, one would never have known it. It was bland beyond belief. I had to request chilli oil and a salt cellar to, at least, make it taste of something. I’d have been embarrassed to serve it up at home, but then this is supposed to be quality restaurant food, isn't it? Suffice to say, we both left a considerable amount of our meals due to lack of interest. They quickly became boring. We didn’t consider complaining because previous experience had sadly informed us that, if we’d requested alternative options, we’d have been replacing one second-rate meal with another and, since we had friends to meet, we couldn’t extend our staying time any further.

This is a sad situation, as the staff are really friendly and helpful and the restaurant itself is a delightful environment in which to spend an evening. I felt sincerely sorry for one of our waitresses who couldn’t apologise more for our negative reports. On the other hand, we were sitting close to the open kitchen and, having kept a close eye, I never once saw any of the chefs tasting anything they were sending out. I think they have a blasé attitude on account of the fact that the place is generally packed and they don’t feel they really have to make an effort.

We won’t be back. Unless it’s for chips! It’s obviously not worth giving them the benefit of the doubt any more. Shame.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
OakmanInns, Owner at The Akeman, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hi there, thank you for your comprehensive feedback. It’s really important to us that we listen to the views of our Guests as we strive for excellence in all that we do. We are therefore obviously disappointed to read your comments. In terms of our pursuit of the very highest standards, we are obsessive in seeking feedback to measure Guest Satisfaction- and do so in a plethora of ways, and indeed The Akeman usually performs well on most of these measurements. We will of course feed back your comments to the Management of The Akeman and make some appropriate changes based on this feedback. We would also like to take the opportunity to prove the excellent service and food we always endeavour to provide at The Akeman, so if you could please email us at marketing@oakmaninns.co.uk we would like to get in touch. Many thanks and kind regards. Stephanie Fisher, General Manager.
Tring, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've been here a few times on different occasions, just for coffee, for evening drinks and for dinner, on each visit we have been pleased with the service, although the coffee is not great the comfortable surroundings make up for it!
We have had a couple of meals here and the steak is fabulous, we have the Boston rib steak -sooo good.
It is usually busy in the evening, and all weekend and is a lively, friendly place.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Northampton, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We found this pub by chance located just off the high street in Tring and what a find it was. It is half bar and half restaurant and it works very well indeed. Doorman at the entrance kept the young groups of lads away and the mix of people in here made for a really good night.
A great selection of drinks on offer which i found to be quite pricey, but nonetheless, the best bar in Tring by far in my opinion. Nice little takeaway food outlet over the road too if anyone fancies that burger of kebab on the way home

Visited January 2013