“Lovely lunch”

Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I must remind myself to eat here more often! Lovely lunch with a warm and friendly atmosphere. Great choice on the menu, attentive staff and great chips! would strongly recommend a visit.

• Visited March 2013

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Valiant Trooper - What a Shocker!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Terrible service, abysmal food, poor effort all round. We came across this pub while on a country walk one afternoon and unfortunately it turned out to be a terrible decision. Rather than be greeted with a warm and accommodating welcome, none of the busy but inefficient staff gave us any attention and asked whether we would like to dine or whether we were just in for a drink. After finding our own way to a table and ordering from the admittedly promising looking menu, we proceeded to have to wait almost an hour for our food (which was only 2 simple choices from the menu). After about 30 minutes, I sought out one of the staff to enquire where our food was and was met with a feeble attempt at charm as a way of dismissing my enquiry. Just as we were about to leave without our food having arrived, it eventually came out. We wished it hadn't. The food was horrendous and the "hand-cut" chips we had ordered were not freshly cooked but rather frozen - we knew because they hadn't even been defrosted properly. Moreover, the staff were completely unapologetic about the hour delay for our food! A total shocker - a pub to be avoided at all costs!

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“This how it should be done!”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Cannot fault the valiant trooper in any way. Charming, friendly, and attentive staff. Superb efficient service. Good food especially the fish and chips! I have now been on a number of occasions and have always had a great time.
Well done to all. Keep up the great work!

• Visited March 2013
Tring, England, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch another triumph”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I've eaten here several times in the past few months and todays meal with family and friends once again didn't dissappoint, great food with excellent specials and terrific service.

Visited February 2013
Keswick, United Kingdom
“Disappointing...”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

A friend and I called for a pub lunch in February 2013. The 'hand cut' chips cost £3 and were OK, but served in a cold bowl and were themselves cold within minutes. My sandwich was OK. Two halves of beer were excellent. The man who appeared to be in charge snatched our empty glasses from the table as he was passing, an amazing show of discourtesy. When he asked if everything had been OK I remarked on the cold chips, not for any reason other than to answer his question, he said in a loud voice: 'You should have come to me!' The whole pub could hear him. I stressed I wasn't making a formal complaint or seeking a refund but he offered me a 'free cup of coffee' and then, almost as an afterthough, the same to my friend. We accepted, drank the (very good coffee) and as we were putting our boots on at the door (out of earshot, he must have thought) we heard him say to someone, 'They only complained to get a free coffee!'

This is a good pub, but the man we met seems to be trying to change things! We'll call elsewhere next time.

• Visited February 2013