“Avoid at all cost”

Ranked #11 of 15 Takeley B&B and Inns
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all cost”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The guest house gets its business from the airport but makes no concessions to anyone who's flights are delayed so if you are not there by 11 you are looked out. I booked because there was a shuttle bus advertised but that was not true the taxi firm was reluctant to take me as they have had experience of guests not being admitted after 11. The taxi fare at night is 8 pounds and 6 in the morning so I would have been better stay at better location.

The owner told me he had to have an 11 o'clock closing at he need to get to bed as he was up early the next day, he keep me talking for 45 mins complaining about his guest and them being late, so the time was 12.00 before I got to my room. I rest my case, avoid.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Moira K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Eastern Finland, Finland
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I have stayed in this B&B twice now and when I was starting to write this review, I had to double check that I was writing it for the right place - I saw some of the other reviews and couldn't understand how some people can have so different experiences and opinions!

I stayed here for the first time in 2010 because our flight to Finland left early in the morning. The double room was cozy and nice, very clean and had a good bathroom. There was no hot water, though, but we arrived at 11 p.m. so others must have used it all by then. No complaints, service was good.

I stayed here on my own just a couple of weeks ago in December 2011. I had booked a single en-suite room but instead got a room for 4 people with a massive bathroom! The room was warm, clean and tidy. The staff (the husband) was really nice, though he picked me up late (arrived at about 9.10 to the airport and the pick up time was at 9). However, as they run the pick up service by themselves, it is understandable that sometimes something might come up and they are not able to be there exactly at 9, for example. Once we arrived to the B&B he immediately arranged a taxi for me for the next morning and told me that if I had any problems etc. I could come knock on their door.

I have not had breakfast here, as I have always left before it nor have I showered here (on the first time there was no hot water, the second time I just didn't need to) so can't stay anything about those. My only complaint is that the rooms are not very sound proofed - there was a room on top of mine and I could hear the footsteps and doors opening etc, which was quite annoying as I tried to sleep. The people were not noisy and I couldn't hear any speech but still as they moved around the noises were really loud.

Also my parents stayed here for one night in october 2011 and they didn't have any complaints. So in this same review you have experiences from three different stays, all of which were positive. I can honestly recommend this B&B especially if you need a place to sleep in for one night. Of course, people who want the quality of Hilton hotels or other fancy places, will be disappointed. This is a normal B&B with normal beds, showers, etc. so you can't expect to have the same services/quality that you have if you pay for 200 pounds per night. Bottom line: no bugs, no disgusting, dirty rooms, no dirty sheets, no wires coming out of the roof -> very sufficient for an average traveller!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Classing this hotel "no-frills" is being polite. Cost cutting akin to the famous Irish budget airline operating from the neighbouring airport. Stock up at the 24 hour Spar convenience store near International Arrivals, unless you want to pay extra for water and a box of cereal.

It's close to the airport and you can walk it in three mins (without luggage). Unless you are happy to wait for the scheduled pickup every hour on the hour. Even if you are the only guest being picked-up, the owner will make you wait for the scheduled pickup time. Expect only moodiness throughout from the owner. The check-in desk is even arranged so he has back towards you to avoid eye contact.

Pay in CASH. There is a £5 surcharge for all cards they don't tell you about until you are due to pay. They actually didn't tell me about this until a queried the amount before entering my pin: Verging on fraud, and certainly illegal if they don't tell you about the surcharge.

Other points: Lidi shower gel, rough towels, no heating at night.

Will not be staying again - and I'm sure you should try one of the equally close hotels albeit wit far better reviews.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank pinkyfeet

Travelers are raving about these Takeley hotels

Leeds
Reviewed November 8, 2011

For some reason we booked the Stansted Guest House without checking Tripadvisor first. When I read the reviews after booking I was almost dreading our stay but it was absolutely fine for our needs. A friendly welcome on arrival, advice on where to eat in the evening and a warm cosy bedroom. The bathroom was huge and looked like it had just been refurbished - the only complaint was the rather weak shower. We used their shuttle minibus to the airport and back no extra charge and very convenient. We also parked the car there for a week at a cost of £5 a day - cheap. They seem to have strict rules about what time you can arrive but you can't expect the couple to stay open all hours as its not a hotel. I would definitely recommend it and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for a room in the main house not annexe
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
germany
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I arrived at this guest house and was unimpressed with the fact that I was charged a 5 pound supplement for paying by debit card. The shower in the room was weak, the shuttle taxi late and the owners have priced drinks water etc an very high prices, safe in the knowledge that there are no nearby shops.. Is this really the traditional British Bed and Breakfast that I have heard so much about? My advice is that you should pay a little extra and stay in the local Hilton or Days Inn...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank TS
cuneo
Reviewed August 12, 2011

if your flight from Stansted is very early in the morning, this is a good place to spend the night before. The place is clean, you can brew your coffee in the room before leaving, and a taxi can be booked for you at the time you need, or - if you have no heavy luggage and the weather is fine - you can take a pleasant 10 min walk to the airport, and save 8BP for the cab. My family and I were in rooms 3 and 4 at the main building, on the 1st floor, on Aug 10th. If you pay cash, you will also save additional charge for CC payment.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed July 31, 2011

After many tries we got through to the owner who picked us up in his mini "shuttle bus". We arrived at a very nice house but were immediately told that we were to stay in the annexe, a plain quick-built barrack away from the house. The house was not for guests! Not the British B&B we had been hoping for! Our room was basic and the whole annexe clearly built in order to squeese in more airport travellers. In order to not deal with the guests at all, it had its own little kitchen where guests could prepare their own breakfast (toast, cereal). Taxi service the following morning wast 15 min. late and we only got on because we went outside with all our luggage scounting for the taxi. Otherwise he would have left without us. We did not feel welcome and had the impression that this place is not there for the guests but for the owner to rake in as much money as possible providing next to no service. He charged an extra 5 pounds for VISA payment (which we were only told as I handed him the card). Everything had to be paid upon arrival, not even giving you the chance to get cash.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank patmandk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Takeley
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Little Bullocks Farm
Little Bullocks Farm
#1 of 15 in Takeley

Been to Stansted Guest House? Share your experiences!