“Average hotel, average value”

Ramada South Mimms M25
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Mimms
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Had a one-night stop over here recently. There was a musty, damp smell in the bedroom. Wouldn’t have been happy with that had we been staying for more than a night. Having read other reviewers comments, I would agree about the smell of smoke – it was right down along the corridor where our room was and was a real turn-off. This hotel needs a good scrub and repaint to give it a shake up and make it more welcoming. The carpet in the room we had could also do with being replaced. Having said that, it was very quiet at night and we had a great sleep. You will be asked when checking into the hotel for your car registration - this is to prevent you being clamped and having to pay a clamp-release fee. The hotel receptionist will also order a taxi if you wish to go anywhere. We were going to the train station and she quoted us a £5.50 fare. However when we were getting out of the taxi at the station, the driver said the fare was fixed at €6.50, so if you have asked reception to book a taxi, do check with the driver when you get in exactly what you will be charged for your trip. The hotel offer a continental breakfast which mainly consisted of cereal, but we opted to go a few steps across the car park to the Welcome Break complex where this is a good choice for breakfast, whether that be a hot cooked breakfast or otherwise. It was also much better value.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DubTwosome

Reviewed October 4, 2011

This hotel is deep down unclean and rotten.
(i) The staff who cleans the rooms smokes itnself in non-smoking rooms
(ii) Even worse is that the blankets and matraces give the impression someone has used it before and it was never exchanged since opening of the hotel. We had the feeling that microorganisms could make you ill or many people have ejaculated on these blankets before. A very horrible feeling I must say.
(iii) The staff at reception was friendly, but what can they do if the owner obviously lets this hotel go down and asks for too much money for such room. I think 20 Pound per night would be ok, but not around 50 to 60.
(iv) The sink was broken. It was not possible to open the water lock, so that the water could not drain.

One should carefully inspect this hotel and the general management and as a guest I would avoid it.

Room Tip: better avoid the whole place - it is depressing
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Im at the hotel as I write.....
Im from London, but I was too tired to drive back home(1hr) so I wanted to stay a night.
It was night and as you approach the hotels there are no lights, abit weird?
The guy at the reception was warm and welcoming. As there was no standard rooms left he said I can only have the excutive room for £64.00 which I was fine with and excited that Ill be in really good room as its the highest. The room is on the ground floor. Unlike other NEW hotels I opened the door with a key and that was the first sign I got.... Opened the door, old was really old and tacky NOTHING LIKE EXCUTIVE ROOM that I paid for! I should know because I always stay in service hotels in the standard bedrooms and they were MUCH MUCH CLEANER than this one! The chairs had stains, there was ladies hair everywhere! The bed was a very small double, Tiny tiny bit of soap left! Towel had blood marks on it! And to top all that! the walls are VERY VERY THIN, I could not sleep due to the people above me! I came with my daughter and was really ashamed of my self for bringing her to her place like this! When the couple above could not stop doing (blah blah) I really had to chat so high and continuesly so my daughter did not notice! While my daughter is sleeping the couple above were on to it agian and then it was then that I thought is this some ind of ''that'' hotel? I came on here to read the reviews.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here... dont stay on the ground floor, make sure you bring towels and soap.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ryder11
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Two rooms were booked on-line, but despite confirmation of this and taking paent, only one room was booked on arrival. My daughter then had to switch on her lap-top and access e-mails so that we could forward the confirmation to the reception staff, who then corrected their error! Not a good welcome after a long drive!
The room was very basic and disappointing! The bed-settee cover was stained and didn't look particularly clean - I was glad I didn't need to use it on this occasion! The worst aspect for me was that as it was a one night stay I didn't bring shower gel or hand soap with me - big mistake! There was no complimentary products in the bathroom at all! There was a container of soap of a watery consistency which did not fit into either the empty soap dispenser by the washbasin or the one in the shower and because if the watery consistency it was impossible to use effectively! The bed looked smaller than a double and the mattress was not the most comfortable I have slept on!
All in all you would be much better off staying at the Premier Inn just around the corner!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We arrived there quite late, myself, my wife and two young girls.
The night receptionist, who I think was alone, even went to the trouble of bringing us up chocolate drink sachets so we could make drinks for the girls. Friendly staff, ideal location, and very reasonable rates makes this an ideal family place to stay.

Room Tip: Booking earlier gets the best rates
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Reluctantly booked Days Inn because the Premier Inn was full and after reading some reviews resigned ourself to thinking we would not be in the room for very long - on arrival was pleasantly surprised, the guy on reception was efficient and helpful, the room was nicely decorated and very clean, bathroom was very clean and the beds were comfortable, also unlike some hotels the windows were not on restrictors which considering it was a hot night was a bonus.

If I was being picky two very minor points - shower head was attached to the wall and was high up, and on leaving the hotel the next morning was very thirsty and went to buy a bottle of coke from the vending machine in the reception, for 500ml they wanted £1.75 which is a bit high.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel many many times and have always been made to feel comfortable, our dogs can stay as well which is a great asset as they travel with us always, the manager and staff are the nicest and most accommodating I have seen for many years of travel. It is great to have the services right outside the door for food choices and coffee, I always stay here when travelling for any trip to London, easy access off the M25 and friendly, fantastic staff. The rooms are always clean, the beds comfortable, not to mention free WiFi. If travelling with children there are play facilities right outside the door at the services, plus great walks behind the hotel. Fantastic stay at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are on the ground floor at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Ramada London North M1
#3 of 6 in Borehamwood
Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood

Been to Ramada South Mimms M25? Share your experiences!