“Pleasant, good value hotel”

Mercure Letchworth Hall
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Letchworth
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Well situated on the rural outskirts of Letchworth. The old part has been tastefully modernised to a good standard. The staff were polite and helpful. Breakfasts were good but a bit unimaginative. The restaurant was bit pricey but there is a fantastic gastropub a mere ten minute walk away which is highly recommended. It was good to have WiFi available free of charge. Good parking and pleasant grounds. Would definitely go again if in the vicinity.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for posting your review following your visit to Letchworth Hall.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the very near future.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Letchworth Hall

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a Christmas treat from our children (travelzoo deal, two nights stay, breakfast both mornings, one evening meal and bottle of Prosecco in the room and on ice). The hotel was very nice, quite grand. We stayed in the original part of the hotel in a standard room, which was very clean, bed good size, tea,coffee etc, iron and board, hairdryer. Normal toiletries in the bathroom, towels nice and white. The food we had was of a good standard although the menu was limited of choice, no menu change for both nights. The breakfast was good, cooked breakfast, cereals, fruit, toast and pastries but no porridge. Had a look around the gym which was well equipped, the pool was of a good size. Did not see the spa area. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Would recommend Letchworth Hall Hotel.

1  Thank Golfplayers

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your recent departure from Letchworth Hall Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. I will be passing your comments overto the team so that they can see them also.

As a side note, we do offer porridge for breakfast - all you had to do is ask and the team would have been more than happy to get this organised for you.

Once again thank you for your review and we do hope to welcome you back to Lethworth Hall in the very near future.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

The hotel is just outside Letchworth. Next to the golf club. The rooms are a reasonable size with a good bathroom let down by a poor rainfall shower. The bed is a double and was comfortable. The WiFi is free (and unsecure) but did not work in the room. As I had no real need I did not complain.

The evening meal was great. We had to book and the only time available was 9pm. The menu highlighted which bits those on vouchers could choose and those which would cost extra. We had the fresh fish option, which was cooked to perfection. The wine was excellent and the starter and desert were good. I could have done with a bit more chocolate sauce on the brownie as there was just a decoration of sauce. It resulted in an otherwise perfect brownie being a bit dry.

Our nights sleep was a bit poor however. The noise of heating water rushing through pipes was very noticeable. As it was a constant noise I assumed it would not worry, hence we did not complain, but it made my sleep a bit restless. Avoid if you can, room 36, which has this problem.

The beakfast was very poor. The mushrooms were stone cold, the scrambled eggs were cold and the sausages barely warm. The rest of the breakfast was fine. The hotel like many others does a buffet service for breakfast.

When we left the breakfast we mentioned the cold food to the supervisor who immediately apologised and said she would look into it. Latter as we were checking out she sought us out to thank us as it seems that one of the hotplates had malfunctioned and the food was not being kept warm (the waiting staff filling stuff up should have noticed). She asked reception to give us a discount off our bill, which was most welcome.

Overall a beautiful hotel in a good location with lovely grounds. Great staff who are both professional and friendly (a difficult trick to master) only let down by some details that should have been resolved before it affected people's stay. We would come back if we were in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid room 36. The central heating noise rumbles all night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following youre departure from the hotel yesterday.

Firstly may I say it was an absolute pleasure in meeting yourself and your partner yesterday, the both of you really brightened my day with your great sense of humour.

Once again I apologise for the fault with the hot plate on the buffet, this was not something that we realised until you mentioned it to me when leaving the breaskfast room. You are quite right we should have picked it up before then but when we are constantly replenishing the food it is something that can be easily overlooked.

I do hope that we have the pleasure in seeing you both again.

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for one night on the Travelzoo deal. We had booked afternoon tea for the day of arrival but arrived late due to traffic. The change of time was easily accommodated and it was nice to relax. The room was is the newer part of the building and very modern and clean. Plenty of room to move around and lots of plug sockets which are often lacking. We didn't experience any problems with noise and the bed was comfortable. The air con/heating seemed to take a while to kick in.

The restaurant was fabulous with great food and staff. We would return for this alone. Breakfast was good and a wide selection but the only gripe was the misjudging of food. Several items had run out which meant hanging around or getting up and down to check whether things had been brought out. A very minor niggle though which didn't diminish our enjoyment of our stay.

We would definitely return and recommend to others.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest

Thnak you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review following your recent departure from the Letchworth Hall Hotel.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we do hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Stayed here as part of a friends wedding. The hotel is an old established one, recently taking over by the Mercure hotel range via ACCOR members, which has ultimately added that extra bit of class. Stunning building with multiple rooms and spa facilities, the hotel is now famed for its weddings and certainly does not disappoint on that front. Check in is simple after you park for free, with smiles and a nice service all round. Although the room was a long walk away, it was pleasant journey easily signposted. We booked a standard room, but it felt more like a superior room, with full facilities, toiletries, TV, free Wi-Fi and very comfortable bed. The room is air conditioned and you get a very peaceful nights sleep. As a wedding venue, it is great - lots of space inside and out with ample room for guests to party. The wedding venue is actually the afternoon tea room that is transformed on request. You also have fantastic picture locations as well. But for me, the real winner? Quite possibly the best cooked buffet breakfast ever! Superb quality! Stay here as part of wedding, or for weekend couples getaway

Room Tip: Just book a standard room, the quality is as good as top priced ones
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_LetchworthHall, General Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your stay at Letchworth Hall Hotel.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that we are able to have the pleasure in welcoming you back very soon.

regards,

Jose Gomez

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I was very impressed with the room and the hotel (especially for the price I had paid). I spent an afternoon using the spa facilities/pool which was just bliss. Couldn't get wi-fi to work on the laptop, but wasn't too worried. We had a splendid meal in the conservatory restaurant and went back to our room full and quite tired (due to a medical emergency my husband had spent the previous night in A&E). So I was a bit taken aback when lying in bed to get a knock at the door from 'Room Service' saying that as I had not registered a credit card my drinks bill from dinner could not be charged to the room and did I have the cash to pay now??? At 10.30pm??? I asked quietly if I could pay when checking out and was told that was fine. Why could she not have done that without disturbing us? It really ended the day on a sour note. We are not regular hotel users, but I see now that registering a credit card on arrival would have avoided this situation - future travellers beware!

1  Thank reallywrenchit

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your recent departure from the Letchworth Hall Hotel.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay with us, especially those comments regarding the meal that you had with us.

However I was disappointed to learn about the miscommunication that occured due the non registering of your credit card. It is standard practice in all hotels throughout the world but I will discuss the matter with both my Front Office & Food & Beverage Managers to ensure that staff are explaining the procedure correctly.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I do hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to Letchworth Hall in the near future.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed one night as part of a Groupon deal, which included a meal at the restaurant. The meal was terrific, a very good standard. The restaurant staff were very attentive and friendly. We had a superior room however I didn't find it to be of four star standard, quite basic in areas. There wasn't any of the small touches usually found in four stars or more such as bathrobes and slippers etc. I also found the pillows too hard however that maybe just personal preference. On the positive the room was clean, a good size, had tea making facilities and the free Wifi was easy to access and worked well in the room. I expected more from a four star but it is a pleasant stay and I would definitely eat at the restaurant again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Guest

We appreciate your feedback and were particularly pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience with us.

We look forward to having the chance to welcome you back to Letchworth Hall in the very near future.

Deputy General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Letchworth
Needham House Hotel
Sopwell House
#4 of 10 in St. Albans
The Farmhouse at Redcoats
Pendley Manor Hotel

Been to Mercure Letchworth Hall? Share your experiences!