“Accommodated a group of 49 guests superbly”

Mercure Letchworth Hall
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Letchworth
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Super efficient to look after a party of 49, friendly staff & great food, the hotel room was overlooking the garden so very quiet & fab air conditioning as we arrived on the hottest day of the year. It's a bit of a pain to access the gym as it belongs to Nuffield so you have to walk outside around the hotel building car park, but everything else was great & good value for money on a DBB rate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Lindsay

Glad to hear that you and your ladies enjoyed the stya with us and we are lokking forward to being able to welcome you back next year.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel seems to have gone downhill since my last stay there 6 months ago. Previously reception were friendly, helpful, and welcoming of frequent travellers (I've got Accor's Le Club Platinum status - the top level in their program). This time, not. There's no recognition, the welcome drink has gone, I wouldn't describe the staff as friendly any more, and I was given a bad room. Hardly the sort of thing you expect as a regular guest, let alone someone who stays with the chain a lot! My room lacked a desk chair, the "comfy" chair wasn't and didn't fit under the desk, and the shower lacked any sort of shower screen/curtain so you ended up soaking the whole bathroom and trapsing water out into the room, really not ideal... And this isn't a cheap hotel to stay in!

Food was excellent, but they were understaffed so expect a long wait to order anything in either the restaurant or the bar. Prices for dinner weren't too bad, but the breakfast is distinctly over priced. (The hotel is right on the edge of Letchworth, so there's no easy alternative)

There are plenty of other hotels in the area that offer a nicer experience for the same sort of price, and are much more friendly and welcoming, so I'd suggest you give this one a miss and stay elsewhere (I know I will be!)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gagravarr
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Gagravarr

Thank you for your candid review following your recent stay at the Mercure Letchworth Hall Hotel.

I can see that you have also left comments on our customer satisfactyion survey and I have responded to you via that. Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate in contacting me directly and I will be happy to assist you.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and we wanted to do something different that wasn't very expensive. We chose the Letchworth Hall Hotel as it is local to us and they had a special offer of two afternoon teas for the price of one. It was a lovely experience. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Our afternoon tea consisted of various types of sandwiches, scones and various types of cakes. As I don't drink tea, they were more than happy for me to have coffee. It was a lovely relaxing atmosphere. Hopefully one day we might be able to afford to stay overnight.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Hils90

Thank you fo taking the time to review your recent visit to the Mercure Letchworth Hall Hotel. We were delighted to read that we were able to make your day special and memorable.
We are looking forward to being able to welcome you back for the weekend in the future, keep an eye on our websiet for the best availbale rates.

Happy Anniversary,

The team at Letchworth Hall

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was really surprised at this hotel being 4*. A little disappointed. The hotel was being decorated and therefore the hotel and rooms smelt strongly of paint. I woke up with a headache in the morning. The bathroom was very standard and probably needs modernising. The complimentary toiletries were poor. No bath robes. I think the hotel needs a face lift. The carpets in the corridors were covered in paint.
On a more positive note the food in the restaurant, both lunch time and evening, was fantastic. I wouldn't reside in the hotel again but would recommend eating in the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Pixdix

Thank you for posting such a candid review following your recent stay with us at the Mercure Letchworth Hall Hotel. I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We are currently undergoing a major refurbishment of some of our bedrooms and on the night in question that you stayed this is what was taking place, which is the reason your room smelled of paint and the corridor carpet, which thankfully has being changed, had paint on it.

With regards to the toiletries, what is provided in the rooms are Mercure standard. Bathrobes are also not standard in every room but are available upon request.

However, I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food and service in the restaurant and that you are happy to recommend it to other people.

I do hope that you will reconsider staying with us again in the future and should you wish to make a future reservation please do not heistate to contact me directly and I will be delighted to make the necessary arrangements for you.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I spent the night at Letchworth Hall for work. It was an excellent choice. On arrival I was given a room which was down a corridor being refurbished so I had to return to reception where all was quickly dealt with. I was give a ground floor room to save me further hassle and many apologies. Excellent service.

The room was not large but really peaceful and contained everything I needed - I particularly appreciated the iron. I used the wi-fi (a first for me) which was efficient and felt very relaxed.

I had a swim in the pool which is the nicest hotel pool I have ever swum in and felt that the leisure facilities have a real touch of luxury about them so my stay felt like a real treat.

There was an excellent breakfast the next morning which was freshly cooked for me - none of that help yourself from a hotplate stuff.

Not cheap at £71.95 but so lovely I will return just for fun!

Room Tip: Odd rooms on ground floor open onto expanse of green behind hotel - really quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Karen H

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your recent visit tothe Mercure Letchworth Hall Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I am particularly pleased to see that our reception team were able to find you a new room so quickly and efficiently.

I will be passing on your feedback to the team so that they can see how much their hard work has being appreciated.

Once again thank you for your review and I am looking forward to having the oppurtunity to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Had a three night stay with breakfast and dined in the restaurant on one night. The food was excellent, the restaurant staff attentive and caring. However at the bar with a G&T had to ask for ice and lemon. A couple of minor faults in room...most serious a loose handrail over the bath. Reported the first night ..."it will be fixed tomorrow"...still unfixed as we left. Couldn't open windows in room (fittings removed) and door swipe key failed each day. Hotel's bread and butter is clearly seminars, training courses etc so public areas were often overwhelmed by participating groups, interview groups etc...only lift is at the far end of the hotel from reception and is not drawn to your attention.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Geoff

I was delighted to read your recent candid review following your stay with us.

I was pleased to hear that the restaurant team and the food exceeded with your expectations and that you enjoyed your dining experience in Lyttons.

However I was disappointed to read that some of the other aspects of your stay did not live up to our usual high standards. Please be assured that I will be discussing your feedback with the relevant heads of department and we will be putting procedures in place to ensure that similar situations do nor re-occur.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope that we have the oppurtunity in welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My fiance and I stayed for one night on a travelzoo deal. The service was polite and friendly. The bed was very hard which made sleep difficult and the furnishings were equally tired.

We were directed to our room incorrectly by being told just to go down a corridor. It was then up a lift. Perhaps the receptionist was confused as the lift needed to go up to the third floor which is actually the second. Part way down towards the lift was an empty second reception area which each time we walked past it over the course of a couple.of hours, there was an alarm going off.

We decided on an impromptu afternoon tea when we arrived which was worth the £16. The hotel werent advertising it at reception which struck me as poor business sense but its well worth going for.

There was a wedding going on which didnt impact on our stay at all.

The spa facilities were minimal but ok. The steam room was blocked off though with no explanation.

Only other minor gripe is that there were only two small UHT milk things which was enough for one drink - not great for two people for one night.

Worth the £99 travelzoo deal but could do more and then charge more

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear St Albans Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to complete such a candid review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate all of your feedback and please be assured that I will be communicating this with my heads of department to ensure that we conducty further training with our staff in order to prevent situations similar to this.

I do hope that we can have the pleasure in welcoming you and your partner back to the hotel very soon.

Deputy General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Letchworth
Needham House Hotel
#3 of 10 in St. Albans
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross

Been to Mercure Letchworth Hall? Share your experiences!