“A really enjoyable overnight...”

Mercure Letchworth Hall
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Letchworth
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“A really enjoyable overnight...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I spent the night at Letchworth Hall for work. It was an excellent choice. On arrival I was given a room which was down a corridor being refurbished so I had to return to reception where all was quickly dealt with. I was give a ground floor room to save me further hassle and many apologies. Excellent service.

The room was not large but really peaceful and contained everything I needed - I particularly appreciated the iron. I used the wi-fi (a first for me) which was efficient and felt very relaxed.

I had a swim in the pool which is the nicest hotel pool I have ever swum in and felt that the leisure facilities have a real touch of luxury about them so my stay felt like a real treat.

There was an excellent breakfast the next morning which was freshly cooked for me - none of that help yourself from a hotplate stuff.

Not cheap at £71.95 but so lovely I will return just for fun!

Room Tip: Odd rooms on ground floor open onto expanse of green behind hotel - really quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Karen H

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your recent visit tothe Mercure Letchworth Hall Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I am particularly pleased to see that our reception team were able to find you a new room so quickly and efficiently.

I will be passing on your feedback to the team so that they can see how much their hard work has being appreciated.

Once again thank you for your review and I am looking forward to having the oppurtunity to welcoming you back very soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Rochdale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Had a three night stay with breakfast and dined in the restaurant on one night. The food was excellent, the restaurant staff attentive and caring. However at the bar with a G&T had to ask for ice and lemon. A couple of minor faults in room...most serious a loose handrail over the bath. Reported the first night ..."it will be fixed tomorrow"...still unfixed as we left. Couldn't open windows in room (fittings removed) and door swipe key failed each day. Hotel's bread and butter is clearly seminars, training courses etc so public areas were often overwhelmed by participating groups, interview groups etc...only lift is at the far end of the hotel from reception and is not drawn to your attention.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Geoff

I was delighted to read your recent candid review following your stay with us.

I was pleased to hear that the restaurant team and the food exceeded with your expectations and that you enjoyed your dining experience in Lyttons.

However I was disappointed to read that some of the other aspects of your stay did not live up to our usual high standards. Please be assured that I will be discussing your feedback with the relevant heads of department and we will be putting procedures in place to ensure that similar situations do nor re-occur.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope that we have the oppurtunity in welcoming you back very soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

My fiance and I stayed for one night on a travelzoo deal. The service was polite and friendly. The bed was very hard which made sleep difficult and the furnishings were equally tired.

We were directed to our room incorrectly by being told just to go down a corridor. It was then up a lift. Perhaps the receptionist was confused as the lift needed to go up to the third floor which is actually the second. Part way down towards the lift was an empty second reception area which each time we walked past it over the course of a couple.of hours, there was an alarm going off.

We decided on an impromptu afternoon tea when we arrived which was worth the £16. The hotel werent advertising it at reception which struck me as poor business sense but its well worth going for.

There was a wedding going on which didnt impact on our stay at all.

The spa facilities were minimal but ok. The steam room was blocked off though with no explanation.

Only other minor gripe is that there were only two small UHT milk things which was enough for one drink - not great for two people for one night.

Worth the £99 travelzoo deal but could do more and then charge more

• Stayed June 2013
Dear St Albans Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to complete such a candid review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate all of your feedback and please be assured that I will be communicating this with my heads of department to ensure that we conducty further training with our staff in order to prevent situations similar to this.

I do hope that we can have the pleasure in welcoming you and your partner back to the hotel very soon.

Lincoln
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

(Stayed 31May) Having stopped at a Travelodge and Pub near Cambridge the previous two days (already reviewed those), we ended our 3 night break by moving about 30miles to Hertfordshire. We chose this as it was just off the A1, handy for our journey home. It was also very reasonably priced.

Reception (I think) is the original ancient hall and it's beautiful. the rest has been added on in the same style. Very big car park so no problems parking. We were a bit early but our room was ready. Lovely stylish room and having got back ache from the previous two nights it was a delight to have a sumptuous bed. The rainforest shower was fantastic as well.

There's not a great deal in the area but we walked into Letchworth Garden City (about 40mins) past very expensive looking houses. Not a lot there but it was a lovely sunny day and we sat outside a pub for a bit.

On our return we decided to make use of the gym. We had a nice swim (supposedly heated but certainly not warm). We also tried the steam room (great experience) and the sauna. Gym use was free for hotel guests.

Through the bar there is a lovely terrace and grassed area with tables to sit at. Drink prices typically very expensive but no shock. And being blessed with a warm sunny day it was worth it, very peaceful. We'd booked with the hotel chain direct and they'd offered a 2 course for £15 evening meal deal in the hotel restaurant (Lyttons) which we did. I opted for the special which was "shoulder of pork". This turned out to be basically a roast pork dinner but it was beautifully constructed into a tower on a sea of gravy. It was delicious and the wife was jealous as she had opted for fish, which though tasty wasn't as substantial. The desserts were both scrummy.

Had a beer in the bar to finish the evening and then it was back to my beautiful mattress to ease my aching back

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MercLetch, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear LincolnKev

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent visit to Mercure Letchworth Hall Hotel. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

zurich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

The Mercure Letchworth is just off the A1 easy to get too and set in lovely surroundings. The check in area is too small for the size of the hotel but it’s an old building so this is the best that can be offered.
The restaurant offers an excellent choice of food that is well prepared but you pay £30.00 for three courses which is very good but nearly everything you want has an extra supplement charge so the £30.00 per head soon becomes £50.00.
If you are an Accor Favourite Guest Card make sure you ask for your drinks voucher as every time I stay here you have to keep on reminding them this, even though you pay for this privilege. Once you go to the bar to order your drinks make sure that the staff take it off the bill as last time and the time before the mature lady behind the bar (who is not a people person and I don’t think been trained on customer service) does not take the drink off and then in the morning when you check out you have double check your bill.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
TonyMurdock, General Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your recent visit to the Mercure Letchworth Hall Hotel.

I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy certain aspects of your stay and please be assured that I will be discussing your concerns with the relevant Departmental Managers and retraining will be done with all team members to ensure that similar situations do not re-occur.

I would also like to remind you that Accor Favourite guests are not entitled to the complimentary arrival drink within the Mercure brand and this is why we no longer give our Club members the vouchers. If you have any queries about your membership entitlements throughout the Accor brand please look at the terms and conditions of your membership.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Tony
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights over the bank holiday weekend. The room location was excellent but unfortunately the key card never worked so it was always a trip down back to reception for them to reset it. Our in room safe was not working and we was told it would be fixed the next day this never happened. On the Saturday evening they was no hot water for a shower we told reception but again this could not be rectified before we were due to go out for the evening. On the Sunday we could not access the bar area without a detour because of a wedding. On the Monday at breakfast the head waiter was very off hand. The Buffett breakfast was terrible, the breakfast bar was really messy and breakfast items were either overdone or did not exist. The head waiter was very rude to a young guest who came to breakfast in shorts. He shouted at him that he was not at the seaside and should not turn up for breakfast dressed like that, surely the young man should have been taken to one side and explained to him the dress code. I was very embarrassed perhaps the head waiter who I must say even though he was in a suit he still looked shabby should
Have some lessons in how to talk to people, he seemed to treat the staff under him has dirt. Overall I think the hotel has up their standards.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank krakow2016
TonyMurdock, Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Krakow

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay and for this I would to offer you my sincerest apologies and also assure you that this is not the normal level of service that we aim to provide here.

I am hoping that we can discuss your concerns in more detail. Would it be possible for you to contact me on l.kearney@mercureletchworth.com so that we can do this.

Once again thank you for your candid review and I am looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Lisa

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed here to attend a golden wedding party and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room was large and comfortable and very clean. The staff were very helpful and when we asked for some ice for our room, it arrived almost immediately.
The only problem, we found, was the price of the drinks from the bar which were very expensive.
The buffet food was excellent but unfortunately the tables were cleared long before the end of the party and all the food that hadn't been eaten was taken away and there was a lot left over! Prospective party givers please make sure that you ask for the food to be left until the end of the party.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank valeriejennifer
Dear Guest

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to the Mercure Letchworth Hall Hotel and the anniversary party that you attended whilst here.

We have taken your comments about the party food on board but would like to advise that under food safety laws we are only allowed to leave food out in the open for a certain period of time before we have to take it away, which was the case during your event.

Myself and the team here would like to thank you once again for your review and do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Tony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letchworth
Needham House Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,678 reviews
Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Mercure Letchworth Hall? Share your experiences!