“nice evening meal and breakfast, very hard pillows!”

Mercure Letchworth Hall
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Letchworth
cambridge
“nice evening meal and breakfast, very hard pillows!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Booked this hotel on a groupon deal and it was good for the price paid. We arrived early and they gave us some towels so we could use the swimming pool and steam room, which was a great facility. We had lunch in the bar, a little pricey and I had to ask for another coffee as the first one tasted mouldy (think the bar machine needed cleaning through). The lady was more than happy to replace with a new one which was fine. We had a very nice meal in the restaurant included in our stay. The room was ok, but up in the eves of the building. The bed as soon as we sat on it was very noisy and squeeked at every movement, when we went to sleep at night it was awful and all four pillows were like concrete and we both woke up with headache. Our room was also near what I can only guess was the boiler house and it ran all night and disrupted our sleep also. Breakfast the next morning was ok, but the poor lady was on her own and rushed off her feet, more staff needed at this busy time. If I was to stay again I would try the bed and pillows first (or take my own pillows) and asked to be moved if it was not satisfactory. I would stay again on a deal but not at the full price.

Room Tip: Dont stay in room 72
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyMurdock, General Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear guest,
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay overall but I can only apologise for the poor quality of your night sleep. Different people have different tastes so I would always advise to check the room for comfort and request changes as soon as possible (different pillow, different room, etc...), as we will always do our best to accomodate those requests.
I hope you will consider staying with us again, if so please contact me directly,
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

A friend and I had a one night stay here courtesy of a Groupon voucher. The voucher was good value for money, as it included a 3 course meal with a bottle of wine.

The bedroom was clean, had a good quality tv with plenty of freeview channels, and the bathroom was also clean with a large shower.

While the accomodation was completely adequate , we were disappointed by the food and service, particulary as we'd read such good reviews. The lunch was over-seasoned and over-priced (£8 for mushrooms on toast). In the evening, the roast dinner I had tasted like leftovers, the roast potatoes were rock hard and overcooked, and the yorkshire pud was like chewy cardboard. The salad starters had no dressing at all , when we asked for some we were told they'd run out of olive oil and balsamic vinegar "because of the bad weather" , we felt that they should really have told us this before they took the order.

The service was not poor, just a bit apathetic - the table at breakfast time wasn't laid properly, (no teaspoon, sugar, spoon, ) and we had to actively get up and look for staff to get service on a number of occasions throughout the stay.

In summary, a lovely setting but probably not somewhere we'll bother to go back to.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
TonyMurdock, General Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear guest,
Having read your comments, I would like first to apologise about any inconvenience caused by the low quality of customer service you received during your stay.
We aim to ensure that every guest has a great stay so I will relay your comments to all the staff and re-emphasise the importance of good service.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Just returned from a one night stay at the Letchworth Hall Hotel - booked via a Groupon voucher.

Staff - Polite, helpful and happy to help. Although, when I called to try and rearrange the stay because of the snow, I got passed round to two different people, ended up leaving a message and no one got back to me which was a bit disappointing. We made it in the end though and the roads in the area were in pretty good condition given the snow!

Food -
Dinner was lovely, everything on the menu was available, plenty of choice without having to pay an excess. Food arrived hot and we weren't waiting too long. Only thing that didn't really happen, which wasn't a big deal, was that they didn't remove things that weren't required from the table e.g. white wine glass when we were drinking red, bread plates after starter and the knife and fork for the starter when we were having soup, so table was a bit cramped but okay.

Breakfast was delicious and although we turned up late (just before it closed at 10am), it was still hot and lots of choice. At breakfast there was a couple of waitresses busy preparing tables but no one offered tea / coffee, so we had to get up and ask (so did the table next to us) and strangely they lay out tea and coffee cups on the table but give you no teaspooon and attracting another member of staff wasn't easy so we used our knives!

Room - Comfortable and modern. No bath tub, only shower. No towel racks in the bathroom, so towels were perched over the sink - which wasn't great. The rooms weren't the quietest - I was disturbed by noisy people outside a couple of times, but my partner slept through them! Was slightly frustrated to find that our "double" room, was two single beds pushed together with double bed sheets fitted across them. Really annoys me when hotels do this, couples like to cuddle up to each other, when you push two beds together one of us finds ourselves falling down the crack!! That said, the bed was very comfortable.

Overall assessment - it was okay, nothing fundamentally disappointing, but not overwhelmed by it either.

1 Thank Maria S
Dear guest,
Thank you for your honest feedback that I will relay to the staff,. Our aim is to ensure that every guest has a great stay and I take on board your comments as we will be re-launching a customer service training program soon. In the meantime, please accept my kindest regards,
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Thought I would try this Hotel for a change from Holiday Inn.... Mistake.
The first room was a Suite and was very nice but to big for one person so asked to be changed. was moved into a normal room, looked ok until got in shower, it was like standing over a hose, no spray as rose was furred up, loo seat and toilet roll holder loose. worries me this was not picked up by house keeping. Checked out and explained problems, receptionist said someone would call.. nothing even after completing a satisfaction survey. Not worth £100 room rate.
On the plus side the Food was excellent.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 69!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your honest feedback. The issues you pointed at have been picked up and rectified by our maintenance department - I can only apologise about any inconvenience caused at the time.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

In short:
We had a Groupon voucher that cost £28 for a £70 3 course meal + glass of procesco for 2. The food was NOT WORTH IT, in fact I would have refused to pay £70 for it. The starters were fancy (except the soup) but the rest was just standard pub grub. We wouldn't recommend this place.

Long version:
Rang up to book a table (no answer on 3 attempts)....
Ended up booking online and it all seemed fine.

As we arrived we waited at the restaurant desk for a few minutes whilst a lad (18ish) was sorting something out on the till, he then walked away and mumbled something to us.... We looked at each other and laughed...

Got seated in the end no problems, waited a good 15 minutes before our order was taken, although others had been asked before us and they had arrived after us (not that big of an issue).

Starter arrived and was lukewarm/cold (black pudding dish), soup was hot but nothing special....

Main course arrived (two roast beef), beef was good and tasty, roast potatoes had obviously been cooked earlier in the day and then deep fat fried to order, so cold inside and extremely over cooked on the outside, yorkshire pudding was massive but overcooked and burnt on the edges. Onions were burnt but tucked in underneath the beef/mash to presumably hide them. We request 'some new potatoes', we got new potatoes... haha an easy mistake to be fair. The new roast potatoes then came but unfortunatly were still extremely hard on the outside the same (albeit now hot & covered in hot fat/oil).

The lady asked if all was ok with the food and I said well not really the potatoes were inedible, she said do you want me to replace them.... as she walked away with our plates.... haha

Puddings were good, chocolate fondant and chocolate cheesecake.

Staff were friendly and helpful but they seemed over worked as we kept needing ask for more water etc

We waited for about 10 minutes but no staff had come past us for us to ask for the bill, so we didn't bother waiting (as we had already handed over our voucher) so just left.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyMurdock, General Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank-you for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for any shortcomings experienced at Letchworth Hall. We pride ourselves in the food and service we provide, and I am sorry if we appear not to have delivered on this occasion. You have mentioned some key factors which will be addressed with the relevant department heads to ensure this does not happen again.
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very disappointed with an afternoon tea booked as a special occasion.
Having been seated next to a sales stand for a car manufacturer, we were then served a few finger sandwiches with very little fillings, 2 scones and some cakes that looked and tasted like they were out of a packet. Yes it was 2 for 1 but still not worth the money. We were looking forward to a cosy and relaxed atmosphere, however, the lounge felt more like a busy reception/lobby area.

1 Thank julie l
TonyMurdock, General Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear guest,
I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused by the set-up on the day and I would be happy to welcome you back on another day - our treat - to ensure that you experience what most people think of as a very good afternoon tea,
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I bought a Groupon voucher for a discount price for this hotel. We had a weekend break there between Christmas & New Year 2012. The hotel itself is a lovely building. We had a clean, comfortable room and I was able to use the pool at no extra cost. We had booked a couple of months in advance and asked about my Vegan diet which they said was no problem to accomodate. On arrival at the hotel we confirmed my diet to the receptionist and was assured they were aware of it. When it came to our evening meal, there were vegetarian opptions and I ordered a salad for starters which was easily adapted. The main courses on the menu were not suitable and I was told that they could cook whatever I wanted, but they did not have any suggestions. I had already been told that the pasta and gnocci contained egg so I ended up with another salad! As they had received considerable notice I felt that the chef should have offered at least one Vegan opption. Eating out is a treat for me and I look forward to having something a bit different, so was very disappointing. Breakfast was buffet style and what you would usually expect. Shame to say there is nothing special about this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
I am happy to read that you had a good stay however I do understand that the meal experience was not satisfactory. I have spoken with the relevant people about this particular issue and we will defnitely learn from it as we are currently reviewing all our customer service procedures.
Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letchworth
Needham House Hotel
#3 of 10 in St. Albans
Down Hall Country House Hotel
Down Hall Country House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath

Been to Mercure Letchworth Hall? Share your experiences!