“my evening at Letchworth Hall Hotel”

Mercure Letchworth Hall
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Letchworth
Reviewed June 30, 2012

An evening spent here was expensive, very expensive. This is Letchworth not the West End of London, We were greeted in the bar by a stroppy waiter named Ricky who served sour ale and argued about it, waited and waited for service with a bar 4 deep and 1 person trying her best to serve. The buffet, oh dear was poor very very poor. We live close by and will not be recommending this hotel anytime soon.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
1  Thank Valerie A

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. Firstly, all our prices are regularly checked to ensure we are inline with our competitors and market place to ensure the pricing policy is maintained to a satisfactory level. In regards to the member of bar staff being 'stroppy', please accept my sincere apologies for this. We do not and will not tolerate such behaviour and rest assured this person will be dealt with in an appropriate manner to ensure the required training is carried out to ensure this does not happen again. Thank-you once again for your comments.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

We booked an afternoon tea for 27 people and were slightly concerned as we had had a bad experience last year with another hotel. WELL... the staff could not have been more attentive, they were a real credit to the hotel. The afternoon tea was wonderful. Beautifully made sandwiches, fabulous cakes and scones, and so many of them! We had ordered a gluten free alternative for one of our party and although the cakes were different she did not feel let down by the selection given, in fact she did better than the rest of us!
Everyone came away saying that they would return with friends and family.

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review regarding your Afternoon Tea. I am delighted that you and your entire party enjoyed your Afternoon Tea with us at Letchworth Hall. Afternoon Tea at Letchworth Hall is growing with great success and it is always nice to hear when we are doing it well. We look forward to welcoming you all back in the very near future.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed here with my wife on the 16th June for our birthday weekend (and first night away from the kids in a year) and can see why the rating is so high! Everything was very clean, the rooms very well catered for and to a very high standard, the breakfast and dinner were superb (with great variety) and all staff were incredibly helpful!!

Added to this, the spa is actually a Nuffield Health centre with a superb full gym, very clean pool, sauna and steam room made the whole weekend a perfect stay. We cannot recommend the hotel more highly and will definitely come back.

Special mention to Jess on reception who was outstanding!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adam H

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent review. I am delighted to read such positive feedback and especially when a member of my team has excelled in providing great service to our guests. I have passed your comments on to Jess, thank-you. I am also pleased to read your comments regarding all aspects of the hotel, cleanliness and food quality for both dinner and breakfast, along with your kind comments regarding our staff. Thank-you once again, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Just returned from my second stay, and again everthing was perfect. First time I stayed I didn't have time to use pool so we stayed 3 nights just so we could do everything we missed first time around. Staff were all freindly and couldn't do enough for us. We have 3 kids so its really nice to find a place that makes you feel relaxed. Food was lovely (especially afternoon tea) and kids play area was great. We booked a family room which was very large and nicely kitted out. Can't wait to book again. Special thanks to manager claire

• Stayed: June 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your wonderful review. I am delighted to read this is your second stay with us and that you have enjoyed your stay both times. It is a pleasure to hear you and your family enjoyed all aspects and services provided, and that you were able to sample the pool and afternoon tea which are both very popular aspects of our business. I am also pleased to read that a member of our team at Letchworth Hall has stood out as providing an excellent service to our guests! I have passed your comments on to Clare.
Thank-you once again, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future as a valued and loyal patron of Letchworth Hall.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

place is dirty they couldnt be bothered to clean the place up floor was sticky from alchol the manager was very rude when i approached him about the dirtiness of the hall as it was my frinds 40th don`t bother going to this place bad sevice and bad manners

Room Tip: i attended my friends birthday we were told we could have the hall from 3.00 p/m when we got there t...
5  Thank antimo d
TonyMurdock, General Manager at Mercure Letchworth Hall, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. I am unsure as to which manager you have spoken to, but rest assured I will find out, as this is unacceptable. Cleanliness is a top priority and failures in this area will not be tolerated. We had Letchworth Hall pride ourselves in our usually excellent housekeeping and cleanliness and please accept my sincere apologies if this appears not to be the case. I will address these issues to ensure this never happens again, and that such shortcomings don't re-occur.
Thank-you once again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed at Letchworth Hall as we were attending a wedding in the area and the fact this this hotel has a pool really appealed as we were travelling with our one year old. The building is lovely and staff had been really helpful when we rang up and booked the room, we chose to book this way so that we could request a cot in the room for when we arrived as we knew it would be late and we hoped to put our little girl straight to bed. Unfortunately the cot had not been put up on our arrival and it took some time for staff to locate a cot and then try to help us put it up. I appreciate they were trying to resolve the issue but I was still quite cross because we had been assured over the phone that this would be done. As a result of the delay and all of the coming and going it took us over an hour to settle our daughter after a long journey. This might seem like a minor detail but tired fraught parents do not happy customers make.

The rest of our stay was ok, just ok. Breakfast was in a lovely room but I'm personally not keen on a buffet breakfast that's been left out. The highchair hadn't been cleaned well enough really. The grounds were lovely and we enjoyed the playground that kept us well entertained. We also managed a swim in the lovely pool but beware the family swim times!

Overall I felt that what we paid for our stay was too much given our experience. The hotel was average as was our breakfast. A bit disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ManchesterNell79
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the facilities of Letchworth Hall, the playground and the pool. Please accept my apologies for the issues surrounding the cot, however I am glad my staff were able to rectify this situation for you. I receive many complaints regarding our breakfast, so again my apologies if this is not what you expected and as you say you are not a fan of buffet breakfasts, but I am sure you will agree the selection is by far more than what you would get on a plated breakfast offering. Thank-you once again for your review.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

You have to ask for everything, so slow, ignore customers. Really spoils lovely setting and food. Needs to be sorted!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank carinaanddavid
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the food and the Hotel setting. I am somewhat dismayed to read you thought the service was not what you expected. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. We pride ourselves in the service we provide and I am sorry that we appeared to have failed on this occasion. Such comments our important for us to monitor and improve out operation as necessary, so again, thank-you for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Letchworth
Needham House Hotel
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath
Pendley Manor Hotel

Been to Mercure Letchworth Hall? Share your experiences!