“Eew! Never again!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Two Chimneys
Ranked #46 of 56 Restaurants in Letchworth
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Salford, United Kingdom
“Eew! Never again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

This pub was refurbished about a year or so ago. It looked infinitely nicer at that time and for a while the quality improved. It's been several months since our last visit and unfortunately there have been a few changes which make it a less than enjoyable place to visit for dinner and a chat.

Many of the booth tables have televisions - fine if they are on quietly and you have so little to talk about that you feel obliged to watch TV during your meal - but hey, if you are going out to dinner is your life so lacking that you want to watch TV?

In addition to the booths, the walls have sprouted big TV screens which during our visit were playing a variety of football games - China v Uzbekistan was one I noticed. No one was watching and the constant movement on the screens was really distracting. Perhaps the landlords are more interested in the beer and football watching clientele than people coming to enjoy a meal. There didn't seem to be anywhere we could get away from TV screens.

But in addition to that, we were forced to endure background music which was just loud enough to make conversation awkward, even when we sat close together.

So that's the ambiance (or lack of it). Shame, we used to really enjoy visiting this restaurant.

Moving on to tonights' meal.......

Sirloin steak so cremated on the outside that the burned crust was crunchy. Inside was fine - but I don't scrape toast, so why should I have to scrape burnt embers of a steak I'm paying for?

The Smothered Chicken Diane would have been better smothered at birth. Tasteless and not remotely resembling the picture on the menu.

I guess the worst part of the experience was being given dirty water glasses. I immediately requested a replacement for the one which had debris attached to it (no replacement forthcoming). When I drank from the second glass it still tasted of the coke it had held previously. Revolting. I had been given a glass which hadn't been cleaned between clients.

I took the glass to the bar and again requested replacements, pointing out that it isn't acceptable to give dirty glasses to customers.

The very friendly bar-lady apologised and said the glass washer wasn't working properly. She washed the glasses by hand, but then dried the first one on her apron! So much for hygiene. I doubt the apron had been changed since she came on shift and it would have been rubbing against the bar, bins, cupboards and goodness only knows what else. I asked her why she wasn't using a teatowel to dry the glasses. She went to the kitchen and came back with a pattered teatowel which was grey with use. I resorted to sniffing it because it looked so disgusting. To be fair it did smell clean, but created the most awful impression.

Oh, and don't get me started on the number of flies buzzing around inside the restaurant..... are they in the kitchen too?

I believe a significant amount of training is required to bring this restaurant back to the former standards it would have been justifiably proud of. I think the manager also needs to decide whether he wants the beer and footy crowd or he wants families and couples as his clients.

Right now I doubt we would choose to go back. I certainly wouldn't take friends or business clients there and although we have previously used the restaurant for large family meals (16+ people) we will be looking for another venue for these events in future.

Such a shame as the staff were friendly - just not very houseproud!

• Visited August 2013

Hitchin
“Who is managing this place!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Went today for a family meal, first half the drinks were not available, no kids drinks, no glasses. The. Went to order food and half the food was not available. At on point when asked for a half of bitter the girl at the par with way to much make up tried to put it into a small baileys glass as that was all she had to use. We then brave the desserts only to have ice cream Sunday served up in bowls with very little in them. When asked for the head office address to write and complaint, my request was forgotten, but I won't . The manager needs be replaced, funny they had the day off!

• Visited August 2013
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Not good this time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I had visited here once before and was happy food was nice it was a Saturday afternoon not busy, i went Friday night & it was quite busy as the sun was out and they have big beer garden they had nothing on draught fair enough they had an issue and were awaiting it to be fixed. my husband coke glass was covered in pink lipstick, the food came fairly quick first off my husbands dinner was missing the extra he ordered that came 15mins later after he had finished his dinner, I had to ask 4 times for cutlery in the end following the waitress I'd asked 3x and stopping her asking for cutlery after we had waited 5mins!!! The rump steak was like trying to eat a shoe seriously cooked to an inch of its life couldn't eat it it was disgust the ribs were lovely and corn however overall crap not going back!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“What happened to this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We used to visit this place at least once per week. It was great but now it is awful. Service is rotten food was either cold burnt or somehow both. The worst dining experience ever.

• Visited July 2013
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I have been to the two chimneys loads of times and have never had a bad meal.
On occasion I have had to wait a long time for food but only in busy periods.
I've always gone for simple dishes like steak and chips, gammon, hunters chicken. All of which have always been lovely!
Choose your meal wisely and you won't be disappointed.
Good value for money. Nice outside area and playground for kids.
Clean and welcoming. No issues from me :) would recommend if u don't expect gourmet food!

• Visited March 2013