“Very friendly, great service, great meals, great presentation.”
Review of Thai Garden - CLOSED

Thai Garden
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Newly opened. Established in November 2010.
Baldock, United Kingdom
“Very friendly, great service, great meals, great presentation.”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I took my mother here for dinner tonight and we were both delightfully impressed. The service was great, friendly and chatty staff, very helpful and as mum is in a wheelchair it is a very welcoming when the staff take time to assist us to our table and as there was plenty of room this made things whole lot easier and mum didn't feel like the object of everyone's attention. The meals were great and very well presented. We thoroughly recommend this restaurant and will definitely be going back.

• Visited January 2013

London
“Thai Trip”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Having read the earlier tripadviser mixed reviews on Thai Garden, I thought I should try it out for myself (being the sort who likes to take a risk, from time to time). I am pleasantly surprised by the experience and I would certainly advise others to try it for themselves, before reaching a decision. So, there we were, willing to take a risk ~ so we decided to try it out on Christmas Day! Did it matter if our special day was spoiled by a bad experience? Hey nonny-no. In for a penny, in for a pound (as they say). Seriously, 'tho, the whole experience was worth the effort. Having expected the worst, upon arrival it seemed as 'tho it was going to be awful. We WERE the first to arrive on Christmas Day (at 1.00 pm), so maybe they weren't quite ready to welcome us. But, as we watched the Indian chappy (who might be the owner of this Thai eatery) fiddle with the TV remote controller, he seemed oblivious to us ~ even 'tho we were chatting quite loudly and thought we'd made ourselves known. Finally, he turned around and offered a (less than effusive) welcome and immediately showed us into the restaurant part of the establishment. However, there was no offer to take our coats/umbrella, we just had to tramp behind him to our table, where we hung our coats off the back of our chairs. Anyway, it was very decent table ~ up on a slight dais and well-spaced from other tables around. Thankfully, the table was laid with crisp white table cloths and white linen napkins. Going back to the point about the TV (that other reviewers have commented on). This establishment is in two parts. One part is a bar, with bar-snacks, TV, gambling machines, pool table. The other (separate) part is a self-contained restaurant ~ separated by double doors. So I can't see how restaurant diners would be troubled by a TV etc. So, our table was good, and we'd decided to "go Thai" for Christmas and eschew the turkey that could have been ordered (if diners didn't want Thai food in a Thai restaurant)! All in all the food is excellent. Fresh-tasting. Fiery (especially if one mistakenly swallows a pepper masquerading as a well-cooked onion leaf, or so I thought). Great excuse to down a whole G&T in one gulp ~ ice and lemon slice in addition! Having tried to resume normal conversation, and sounding like a helium-infused chipmunk, I commented how good the red Thai curry was (and wished I had ordered something less dangerous). Anyhow, the food was excellent and so we recommend Thai Garden, if only for that. However, the table-service was also up to scratch and, having seen the original Indian chap (he MUST be the owner) in action and speaking to other diners, arriving after ourselves, I decided it must just be his natural gruff nature. It's probably a cultural thing or maybe he's just not brilliant with newcomers. I saw him in action with regulars and he was much more charming, welcoming and human. Listening to the occasional yelps and raised voice in the kitchen, maybe he's stern because he has to whip his staff into action, to produce the good food that his kitchen turns out. So, having complimented the standard of the food, the standard of the table and, generally, the standard of the service I turn to another bete-noir of mine ~ plastic foliage! Why do we have to have a plastic flower in a (dry) vase on the table? Better to have nothing, I feel. Alternatively given, that it was Christmas, why couldn't they have gone out and trimmed some holly from the neighbouring gardens(!) or from nearby country road hedgerows, and placed THAT on the tables? A plastic flower on the table ~ and plastic foliage in plant pots in the room. UGH! If I want an excellent, tasty Thai meal, again, I would come here. If I want an all-round top experience, I would go elsewhere.

• Visited December 2012
Shefford, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't recommend”
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Went for a meal here last night (Saturday) it was a last minute desicion so my boyfriend and I called up to see if there was availability we found the restaurant on google. The man on the other end of the phone was terribly rude but booked us a table non the less. We still decided to go as it was Saturday and availability is limited everywhere on a Saturday. When we walked in there was no greeting just shooed into a bar with a not so helpful waitress/bar lady everyone was rude. We waited at the bat no one came over to seat us it was all really upside down no organisation. We were seated in the end we ordered and we were disappointed with the food it lacked flavour it wasn't worth the money at all good presentation though. Certainly won't recommend an we won't be going there again.

1 Thank Poppyxx67
Doha, Qatar
“Lovely decor,shame about the service.”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have eaten here a few times and it seems to be going from acceptable to bad. The Thai staff have long gone and have been replaced by other staff who are seen eating food coming from the kitchen.One can only hope that it's not from the plate you ordered! I adore Thai food and will travel far for an authentic meal.This restaurant seems to serve up greasy noodles on more than one occasion.What a shame as it would be great to have a good Thai in Letchworth and not have to travel to Hitchin for a decent meal.

• Visited September 2012
“Love this place! Great to finally have a good Thai in Lethcworth!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Hope this place lasts as te food is fab. The beef isn't great quality so I would stick to chicken but other than that its tasty and the coconut rice is amazing! Takeaway is collection only but so worth it! Will be going again soon