“never never never again”
Review of Garden Lodge Hotel

Garden Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Letchworth B&B and Inns
lecthworth
“never never never again”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

just moved in had a big group of friends over to have drinks and see the restaurant round the corner - we where asked to be quite, after the other guests did not like us having fun - this is such a shame staff really nice but manamgemnt let it down looking after the others - i know we spent morein the hour we spent there tham the rest spent on there out fits , meal and cars!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank andywindebank

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This place has got to be the most foulest, gut retching place i have ever stepped foot in with a manager that makes Basil Faulty look like a saint! we booked on line as had a meeting in the area and had to be there early have done this many times and have stayed in all sorts of places, some better than others but never, ever been mislead by a write up or photo's of a "hotel" that on arriving looked like it was shut down! we could not gain entry, as all doors locked, we rang a bell after a short while decided to leave when a young man appeared and let us in, on paying (which on hindsight should of asked to see the room first!) was told where our room was, when we entered gone was the strong smell of curry which was smelt downstairs replaced by the stench of urine and mould, t.v was hanging of the wall and the hair-drier had it's plug cut off. when returning to the reception, found the young man had done a" Houdini" and was horrified to find we were locked in the place! on shouting for a good few minutes, the young man appeared from behind a locked door, we told him we wanted to leave and have a refund due to being mislead into believing this was a "hotel" he phoned his manager who was rude and aggressive made no apologies and refused a refund we decided to leave as felt unsafe fearing for our safety in event of a fire as all doors were locked by key and not released in an emergency, we walked around the back to see that our fears were founded as the fire escape at the back was blocked by old urine stained mattresses and old wooden bedroom furniture these were also piled up by the back of the kitchen of the Indian restaurant then to our horror saw movement in which two rats ran out of a hole in one of the mattresses and went through a hole which i assumed lead into the kitchen! letters are following to the local council and trading standards!

Room Tip: preferably in another hotel far away from this filth invested hovel!
Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jax49_12

Travelers are raving about these Letchworth hotels

Hertfordshire
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I booked a couple of my employees into this hotel through laterooms.com for an overnight stay, during a 4 day delivery run around the country. There was only one twin room left at the time, and no rooms at Zeus in Baldock, or The Broadway in Letchworth, where they normally stay in this area. So I had to book it there and then.

Unfortunately I had to reschedule the delivery run, so I called to cancel the room, explaining that I would be calling back the following day to rebook for the following week. I was told that there would be no refund at all, as they still had to pay their commision to laterooms.com. Now I fully understand that I wouldn't get a full refund (although Zeus do give full refunds). But considering that they still had two days to fill the room, which shouldn't be a problem with other hotels in the area booked up. Then this would mean that they were being paid for the room twice.

I told them that I often needed rooms in the area for business, and that I would never use them again. I then received a phone call from the manager, saying that he would give me a discount for a room the following week. So they were being paid for the first room twice, and then they wanted me to book again, at a small discount....not a chance. They stayed at Zeus the following week.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012

They do not say on their website that the accommodation is above a poorly decorated indian restaurant. I love indian food but the smell of curry powder throughout our accommodation was overwhelming. The website also states that it is newly refurbished but both restaurant and room were in desperate need of redecorating. Trailing extension leads in our room and no grout between the moving floor tiles in our bathroom were nothing compared to the basic over bath shower mixer tap with no shower curtain or screen. Breakfast for £7 each was obscene for toast, yoghurt and fruit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eternalwanderer74
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

We needed somewhere to stay last minute after getting off a plane leaving us so tired we were unsafe to drive any further. We just googled accommodation in the area called and they had a twin available and said we could have it for £50. On arrival they kindly let us have the family room as it had a double bed for same price. But I still can't believe we paid £50 for it.
The bedding and towels were fresh and clean and some attempt has been made to update the room with more modern furniture etc, but the carpet, decor and bathroom were terrible! Damp patch on ceiling, broken floor tiles in bathroom,
and scruffy walls and floors.

To sum up it's an Indian restaurant with rooms above, it's run down and not somewhere I would recommend.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Claire30Bear
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Please don't put yourself through the terrible experience of having to stay here.We spent two nights here while visiting a sick relative. My husband and I had a very run down room with wallpaper torn off and big plaster patches on the walls, mould in the bathroom, broken tiles and our own pet cockroach. This was seen on the second night. I couldn't wait to get home. My brother-in-law was in a room with 2 singles and his bathroom was black with mould, torn wallpaper etc. . The catalogue of faults is too numerous to mention.The one positive point was that we had nice new towels that were pure white. Bed was comfortable. But the noise of the fans kept us awake the first night.
Unfortunately, I had to pay when booking online or we would have left and gone elsewhere

NEVER AGAIN - the worst accommodation I've ever stayed in

Room Tip: Go to another hotel !
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Reet186534
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My poor husband had the unfortunate experience of booking at this hotel, only to arrive, wait around for half an hour only to then have the gate shut in his face whilst asking to be seen by a member of staff to book in. After paying a £250 deposit before seeing the state of the rooms, he was asked very rudely to pay for a full weeks stay even though he was not sure he would be there all week. He said the plaster was hanging off the walls, it smelt terrible and was in great need of updating. Hence to say he did not even stay one night....left and found a lovely hotel near by for only a few pound more. Under no circumstances would we recommend or stay here.

Room Tip: No tips other than I would recommend staying somewhere more pleasant
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Victoriaa26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letchworth
Mercure Letchworth Hall
purplehotel Baldock
purplehotel Baldock
#4 of 4 in Baldock
Days Inn Stevenage North

Been to Garden Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!