“Dirty, Damp and Dangerous”
Review of Garden Lodge Hotel

Garden Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Letchworth B&B and Inns
Cheshire, England
“Dirty, Damp and Dangerous”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We visited Letchworth for a friend's wedding at the end of March 2012 and stayed for one night in the horrendous Garden Lodge Hotel. We stayed in room No.2 and it can only be described as dirty, damp and dangerous for the reasons given below...

On entering the room there was an overwhelming smell of damp and the room immediately felt far from fresh. The bedroom window was covered in condensation and neither window could be secured open due to both mechanisms being broken - the only way we could get any fresh air in to the smelly room was to wedge both windows open with coffee cups. This would clearly present a danger should emergency evacuation be required.

The wardrobe drawer was broken and coming adrift and the handle fell off, exposing sharp screws. It was also filthy inside as well as outside. The carpet below the bedroom window was sodden with fluid leaking from the radiator - I only found this out on walking on it in my socks which I could no longer wear. They clearly know there is a fault with the radiator as there was a small take-away try catching this fluid which potentially had biohazard, chemical and bacterial contents.

There was a large, greasy stain on the wall above the headboard of the bed and we dread to think what it is. The toilet seat would not stay upright, causing issues for male/female sharing of the toilet. The toilet brush was also in a very degraded state with no anti-bacterial fluid in the container and signs of human excrement on the bristles. The bathroom floor was filthy with signs of human hair and dust/fluff build-up which clearly demonstrates that no cleaning of any kind had been carried out whatsoever recently. All furniture surfaces were also covered in dust and small particles.
The three towels provided were all old, threadbare and had various stains visible.

The shower head clip had broken and their pathetic attempt to repair it was by tying it up with a piece of plastic from a carrier bag - this instantly failed on using the shower. The shower head also showed signs of mould, in line with their lack of cleaning. The bathroom sink plug chain was snapped. There was black and pink mould covering the shower curtain. The window to the bathroom was showing signs of excessive rot and could not be opened. Again, there was mould present.

The bedside lamp was broken, in a poor state of repair and had not been PAT tested, causing a potential risk of electrical shock. The free WiFi internet could not be accessed as they did not provide us with a security code and again, we could find no staff to provide this.

We had been in the room for less than an hour and quickly had to get ready for the wedding. Because we were now stressed and in a rush, we quickly tried to find someone from the hotel to register our upset with the condition of the room but we could not find any staff and so had to leave for the wedding. We passed two frustrated people at the reception who had clearly been waiting a long time to see someone to check-in.

We returned to the hotel just after mid-night after a fantastic wedding party to find the hotel locked-up again with no night staff available as you would expect from a proper hotel. We entered our room to that foul, damp stench again and settled in to bed. Although the pillow, mattress and duvet covers appeared clean it was clear that the bed itself was damp and we both had a very short and uncomfortable sleep. We were occasionally woken up by a beeping from what I can only assume was a faulty smoke alarm requiring a new battery.

We had planned to have a Sunday morning lie-in and meet friends for breakfast mid-morning but we simply could not wait to leave this dreadful hotel and so we departed feeling rotten, tired and upset with our overall experience at 7.30am. Again, there were no staff available to complain to and so we simply left the key at reception. As a result we had to cancel our breakfast plans as a direct result of this terrible hotel. We left our towels on the sodden carpet to try and mop-up some of the fluid; the attached photographs shows that the carpet was so wet it soon soaked the towels through.

Our experience at The Garden Lodge Hotel fell far short of any reasonable expectation any normal guest may have. We were shocked and disgusted by the dire cleanliness and poor state of repair of the building as well as no staff being available to assist us.

We demanded a full refund of the £50.00 we paid to stay at the Garden Lodge Hotel as we received none of the service we expected and actually feared for our health and well-being whilst in this accommodation. Their website states that all of the rooms are "comfortable and well-appointed" - this is certainly not the case!

We were given a refund of £35.00 following the above experience.

Room Tip: Do not stay here - room No.2 was abysmal.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank MKRumble15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2012

The food was not so bad, however the staff's attitude was very poor. We walked in and got a disgruntled smile and were led to a dark table in the corner (even though there were nicer tables available)! Throughout the night the waiter kept on rushing us to leave (even though no-one was there!) and told us we needed to order our food in the next five minutes because the chef needs our order- we didnt even get to look at the menu! Then one of our meals was undercooked (lamb) and told the 'head waither' he turned around and said what do you want me to do about it?! Thats just absurd and damn right rude. Would never recommend this restaurant to anyone! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank 2guns87

Travelers are raving about these Letchworth hotels

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Basic hotel, with bed, bathroom, tea facilities, wardrobe, towels, shower etc. The room was ok for the price you pay. I decided to stay here as there is an attached indian restaurant, and I was working in Letchworth the next day, so this was quite convenient. The food was excellent. The machhi chatpatti was tasty, salmon with crispy batter. The Chicken tikka pathia was very tasty, a little on the spicy side. The chapattis were very soft, and the naan bread was very fluffy and fresh tasting. All eaten in the comfort of my room. I would come here again just for the food, but be warned that the rooms are basic.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank SukyB
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Probably the worst place I have ever stayed. It was cold - the heating was on in the hotel but not in my room. I had to ask for light bulbs the lead for the kettle was so short it had to be used on the floor. The breakfast delivered to your room was horrible, a cold greasy fried egg bread and croissants microwaved into solid rock, a box of coco pops!! (just the kind of cereal business guests would choose) brown orange juice and a banana. The banana was fine and it was just as well everything was inedible as there was no cutlery. The whole place was run down and unpleasant. The attached Indian Resturant however was good but absolutely nothing else.

Room Tip: Are there any?
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank annewesley
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband, my son & myself were booked to stay the night here - and we all wished we hadnt. Dont stay in this place, it was a real disapointment - 3star rating, I dont think so, and im not sure what kind of rennovations were done prior to April 2009, but they should have saved their money
Arrived 6.30pm, in time to settle our son into bed, booked a family room.
On arrival, we were taken up to our room (#5). We were greeted by a very heady smell of cigarette smoke, a smell which didnt go all the time we were in the room - even when opening one of the 2 windows as wide as we could. The wardrobe door wouldnt shut & stay shut, the walls/ceiling had damp patches & the room did not seem clean (not a place to take a child), we couldnt get the tv to work at all, one of the 2 windows in the room were nailed shut, at least one of the lamps didnt work.
The bathroom was awful - the bath had chunks out of it, the plug was dirty looking, and the toilet roll holder was browken so the rols were stacked up on top of the toilet.
The furniture was dated, the matresses were lumpy & un-comfortable just sitting on them, god forbid lying down & trying to sleep on them.
The place just felt dirty, dingey & was very smelly. We werent prepared to stay, it was awful.
We were lucky that a Day's in Nearby had a room (a very excellent 3star rated hotel), so we left immediately, and told them we wouldnt be coming back - and we never will.
We booked the room due to having work done in our house, and having been without a bath for nearly 2 years whilst doing rennovations to our house, so we were really looking forward to a nice bath as soon as we put our 6 year old to bed - how disapointed were we!!!!
How on earth do "hotel's" like this get their star ratings, and justify a £65 price tag for a room.... a total rip-off, and if it wasnt for the fact that we had our young son with us who we needed to get to bed & get over to our new hotel asap, we would have made a point to complain on the spot & demand a refund.
A very un-happy customer.

Room Tip: Dont stay here & room 5 was awful & I cant imagine others were any better.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Chrissi R
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 8, 2011

The room is small, the only thing that is clean are the bedsheets.
The floor is dirty. Lots of noise from the outside and from other visitors at the hotel.
During the evening the room is flooded with light from the outside.
The furniture is old and partly broken.
I will not come back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank albapix
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2011

What can I say, where do I begin?

I paid £40 pounds for the room and £7 for Breakfast, which to be fair was not a lot of money, however once I saw my room I realised that I had been ripped off.

The room had a smell of wet dog, the carpet was worn and filthy, furniture was of poor quality and the wardrobes back panel was laying against the wall.

I switched the light on, which immediately made the room darker.

The toilet was far from clean and the shower took 5 minutes to provide hot water.

Given that I had paid up front, prior to seeing the room, I felt I was unlikely to get my money back or find accomodation elsewhere and so had no choice then to get on with it.

I sprayed the room with underarm deodorant , but the smell lingered, I was too scared to look under the bed, but I imagine that the dog was under there.

I managed to sleep OK, the clean sheet and covers, covering a duvet with stains that only a CSI agent could identify, although my imagination run riot as to what illness etc I was contracting from the bed, had I contracted dutch elm disease or atheletes foot of the nose, virulent scabies or a severe case of death, but fortunately when I was woken up by the fire alarm at 6.00 am, I appeared quite normal, only time will tell.

However if I had an itch or scratch throughout the day, I was convinced I had caught Garden Lodge Flu, which of course there is no cure.

The breakfast was poor, and despite my appointment being 1 mile down the road from the hotel, left some two hours before I needed, just so I could get out of the hotel.

When I eventually got home I immediately washed and scrubbed myself with demestos, trusting that the 1% of germs it does not kill was not resident in my room, and after 10 washes I eventually got the hotel out of me, but I am now mentally scarred and could possibly be suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.

It would be wrong for me to not point out the 1 positive, I found a parking space

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank andrewpfaulkner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letchworth
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#5 of 8 in Hitchin
Ibis Stevenage Centre
Ibis Stevenage Centre
#9 of 11 in Stevenage

Been to Garden Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!