“Absolutely disgusting - don't stay here!!!”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Leominster
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This place is revolting. Our room had a broken window covered by a piece if plaster board. We spent the night wondering if the hotel would collapse around us as the ceilings and walls were saturated with the worst damp I'd ever seen. Don't bother with the breakfast either, cold bacon, cheap sausage and the 12beans isn't worth the money. Also need to avoid the bloodied bogies wiped on the walls of the gents toilets. The whole place is dirty and any repairs made are just cheaply done. It needs a lot of money spending on it to make it anywhere decent.
Won't be returning, now off for a shower as I feel dirty after staying there.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Thegodsons

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Booked into this hotel to attend a family event in Leominster. What a mistake. The alarm bells were ringing when asked to pay upfront for the rooms, plus an extra £5. for breakfast. The Card machine would not work so had to find cash (very suspicious), and one look at the clientele in the bar made us feel uneasy. The place is completely run down and to say it has seen better days would be an understatement, although the bedding was clean, the bed was as hard as rock and not conducive to a good nights sleep, the room itself looked depressing walls dirty, and the glass in the window broken. On coming back to the hotel late we were verbally abused by some of the customers who were the worse for wear in the smoking area, and the noise that they made carried on until the early hours. After a poor nights sleep we tried the tea and coffee in the room but the water boiled in the kettle provided tasted disgusting. Having been informed that breakfast was between 7.00 and 9.00 we went down at 8.00 only to find that no one was there to even cook breakfast everything was locked up and there was no one about. We left at gone 9.00 and still no one was about. We were basically conned out f the extra money we had paid along with a number of other guests who were staying there, all of whom said that they would never stay there again. If you are tempted to stay here do yourself a favour and book somewhere else, anywhere else in fact.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Trevor K
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I checked into this hotel late after an extremely long working day and was fit to drop when I got there. The bar man was friendly enough but I was initially disappointed with the run down look of the hotel. I was more disappointed when I saw my room. I usually expect a bit of wear and tear but don't mind as long as its clean. This room was no way near clean. The stains on the carpet became inconspicuous due to the sheer number of them. A big grubby looking cushion adorned the bed and the bathroom was hideous with no shower. The bath enamel was damaged with botched repairs. I almost laughed when I saw the end of the loo roll folded to try and an element of class.
I immediately put the loo roll to use by squashing as many of the small moth like insects flying around the bath and bedroom as I could reach.
Satisfied the wildlife was reduced to a minimum I turned in for the night. The bed was in keeping with the rest of the room sporting a thin translucent sheet stretched over a lumpy unsupportive mattress. Considering how tired I was I was surprised how difficult it was for me to get to sleep.
Breakfast was satisfactory however with the usual mix of cereal, fruit juice and full English on offer.
I will definitely not be staying at this hotel again. Friendly service can only go so far

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank andrewandclare
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Very poor quality and not worth the 65pound bill. Stayed in what was meant to be the bridal suite, which is a joke, the door didnt open properly as it appeared to have been kicked in at some point; the room was not secure. Had to suffer loud music from a scummy disco in the neighbouring building of the premises until gone midnight. There were no fresh refreshments laid out and a mouldy tea bag left in the pot, and half a roll of toilet paper left. Upon leaving there was not a single member of staff available to see us off, we left our room key on the side next to another guests. Will not be staying again. The place has seen better days for sure; very poorly managed

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Craig_oh1983
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Don't be tempted by the lovely photographs on booking websites. Beautiful building that was once, by all accounts, an upmarket hotel. Sadly, there is no sign of that now. Even the locals laughed(some hysterically) when we said we were staying there. If you do have the mis- fortune to stay here, don't be disappointed that they dont serve breakfast as you wouldn't want to eat here anyway. Only good thing to say is the chap that showed us to our room, with a sheepish look on his face, was lovely & the bedding was clean. Come on Royal Oak, get that wow factor back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Livsmum99
Reviewed March 10, 2013

At check-in I was requested to pay before being shown to my room. After six hours plus driving, I was looking forward to a restful night ahead of an interview in Hereford the next day but . . . it was not to be. Unfortunately I was offered a room that isn't sound-proofed. There was constant passing traffic noise of racing cars and motorbikes, until the small hours beginning again at 5am. Friday night hosted passing groups of chanting lads and clip-clopping lassies begging to be let in lock-ins - obvously out for a good night, I understand. The single glazing allows you to share the outside world's goings on whether you wanted it or not. I had asked the Manager to be moved but he said there was no other available, OK, I said. There were stale tea-bags, sawdust in the drawers, no TV, no hairdryer, no showerhead, one unlined bin, a plug-in radiator,and the flimsy duvet would slip out of the unbuttonable cover. There was definate uncleanliness and neglect overall. The heating and warmth was good. The chap who showed me to my room was nice enough. Needless to say, I won't be returning there again.

Room Tip: Unless you have no problem sleeping through zooming motorbikes and cars into the night, avoid Room 2...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank V L
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and i booked into this hotel for a couple of nights. When we arrived after driving down from Scotland we were looking forward to a nice hot shower and a cup of tea in our room so we could relax but this was never going to happen! Our room was freezing and had no heating except for a small electric heater, luckily even though it was snowing over the time we were there the heater did heat the room but we had to leave it running all of the time. But as the room was so cold (no one had bothered to think that it may be an idea to warm it up before guests arrived) we opted to go out for the evening rather than staying in (there was no TV or radio either). The next morning when the room had warmed up enough so that we wouldn't get hyothermia if we had a shower we discovered that there was no hot water. When we arrived i overhead a discussion about a boiler not working, however i did not imagine that it would be something that would affect us as no one mentioned it when we were checked into our room and were quite happy to take our money (and if you ever - and lord knows why, decide to book into this hotel then ask to see the room before you pay!). In the end we had to boil the kettle and fill the sink in order to have a wash. The bathroom itself was dirty, there was no shower curtain, it was carpeted and disgusting around the toilet. We did ask about the lack of hot water and were then told that the boiler was playing up and would be fixed later in the day (which is was) but when we came back later to ask if it was working the barmaid was rude and dismissive. If this place was marketed as a hostel and the rooms significantly cheaper the state of the place may be more understandable, however from our experience, even a busy hostel is cleaner.

Room Tip: Just don't book it!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Helen B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leominster
0 mi away
The Cliffe at Dinham
#2 of 8 in Ludlow
Travelodge Hereford Grafton
The Feathers at Ludlow

Been to The Royal Oak? Share your experiences!