“Won't be staying here again . . .”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Leominster
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Won't be staying here again . . .”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

At check-in I was requested to pay before being shown to my room. After six hours plus driving, I was looking forward to a restful night ahead of an interview in Hereford the next day but . . . it was not to be. Unfortunately I was offered a room that isn't sound-proofed. There was constant passing traffic noise of racing cars and motorbikes, until the small hours beginning again at 5am. Friday night hosted passing groups of chanting lads and clip-clopping lassies begging to be let in lock-ins - obvously out for a good night, I understand. The single glazing allows you to share the outside world's goings on whether you wanted it or not. I had asked the Manager to be moved but he said there was no other available, OK, I said. There were stale tea-bags, sawdust in the drawers, no TV, no hairdryer, no showerhead, one unlined bin, a plug-in radiator,and the flimsy duvet would slip out of the unbuttonable cover. There was definate uncleanliness and neglect overall. The heating and warmth was good. The chap who showed me to my room was nice enough. Needless to say, I won't be returning there again.

Room Tip: Unless you have no problem sleeping through zooming motorbikes and cars into the night, avoid Room 2...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank V L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and i booked into this hotel for a couple of nights. When we arrived after driving down from Scotland we were looking forward to a nice hot shower and a cup of tea in our room so we could relax but this was never going to happen! Our room was freezing and had no heating except for a small electric heater, luckily even though it was snowing over the time we were there the heater did heat the room but we had to leave it running all of the time. But as the room was so cold (no one had bothered to think that it may be an idea to warm it up before guests arrived) we opted to go out for the evening rather than staying in (there was no TV or radio either). The next morning when the room had warmed up enough so that we wouldn't get hyothermia if we had a shower we discovered that there was no hot water. When we arrived i overhead a discussion about a boiler not working, however i did not imagine that it would be something that would affect us as no one mentioned it when we were checked into our room and were quite happy to take our money (and if you ever - and lord knows why, decide to book into this hotel then ask to see the room before you pay!). In the end we had to boil the kettle and fill the sink in order to have a wash. The bathroom itself was dirty, there was no shower curtain, it was carpeted and disgusting around the toilet. We did ask about the lack of hot water and were then told that the boiler was playing up and would be fixed later in the day (which is was) but when we came back later to ask if it was working the barmaid was rude and dismissive. If this place was marketed as a hostel and the rooms significantly cheaper the state of the place may be more understandable, however from our experience, even a busy hostel is cleaner.

Room Tip: Just don't book it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Helen B

Travelers are raving about these Leominster hotels

Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I booked into the Royal Oak Hotel, Leominster, for a couple of nights stay to allow for me to attend a funeral in the locality.
Booked via a well known 'late rooms' website, I requested single room, non-smoking, en-suite accommodation.
On arrival I was 'pointed' in the direction of the room and given a key.
There was a general un-welcoming attitude and a foul smell, plus an unkempt feel to the common areas. Filthy carpets, sticky floors and grimey touch to all fixtures and fittings.
The room was dirty. The en-suite was un-heated with no shower and only an old bath. The 'hot water' was tepid and certainly not warm enough for a bath.
There was no central heating, and a simple electric convector heater had been placed in the room for the comfort of the guest !
There was no kettle, one dirty cup and a couple of bargain cheap tea bags and coffee sachets for refreshment.
My stay was for two nights, and although the sheets were nice, clean and crisp, the room was not visited by staff to make the bed, wash or replenish the refreshments tray, change the towel, or hoover the carpet.
There was no TV or radio, however, free wi-fi allowed me to use my iphone for television and to catch up on the news.
My advice would be, to anyone needing to stay a night Leominster, and only finding the Royal Oak available, go commit a minor crime and get yourself banged up in the local police cells. You will have a much more pleasant stay than in this God-Forsaken dump of a hotel.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Temmow
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Even though we were quoted £30 we were charged £45 on arrival. Room was filthy, floor not hoovered,room smelt of the last occupant, lots of hair in shower, shower fell off the wall!, smashed vase and glass on top of cupboard, electric sockets hanging off the wall,only one cup and one towel provided for double occupancy, shower dribbles hot water, lumpy broken mattress,NOISE NOISE NOISE! Do not stay here. Gave it the benefit of doubt because its under new management but all previous bad reviews are true!

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank ch111111
portsmouth
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Where to begin.... to start i would advise anyone who has stayed in a moderatly decent hotel to avoid this one, to avoid serious dissapointment.
Entire impression of the exterior is...... run down. Car park has room for about 8 or 9 cars max, but most of these seem to be filled with builders, repair etc etc vans for most of the day.
Health and safety nightmare of cheapo rotting decking on entry to the "hotel" from the carpark, if this is wet beware. On entry the boss was having a row with his misses in front of staff and customers alike, gave me that warm glow u need after a long drive ....and made me miss my own strife, sigh.
Anyway i eventually got a key and was charged up front for payment.
Anyway onto the worst bit, the rooms and service, i shall bullet point these for ease of reference:

1: TV was from the stoneage limited channels, DVD player lol for those who bring a selection with them???

2: Electric sockets/switches were loose or attached with tape, electric shock hazard

3: Towels not changed at all during my stay, small and tatty towels, u wont want to steal these puppies!!

4: Bed linen not changed either during my stay.

5: Bins were not emptied.

6: meager tea/coffee supply not restocked

7: Basically i didnt have the room cleaned once during my stay.
8: Noise from the downstairs locals bar excessive. (and thats with my valve tv on)

9: Tried to have a bath......dont bother, luke warm is as good as it gets.

10: Shower is one of the new super dribble ones......again dont bother unless u like spending ages in the shower trying to get wet.

11: Staff who spoke to me where more than happy to tell me how bad the place,pay and conditions where, which is always a good sign when checking in!!!

12: I think a blind man has decorated the whole place using his dog as the brush.

13: Beds/furniture look like they came off a tip. Bad sleep everynight.

14: room was not cleaned/hovered during stay.

14: Place has bad karma.........reminded me of the that film with Jack Nicholas in it....:(........rrrrrrreeeeeedddddrrrruuuummmmmmm

Marks out of 10.....its in minus figures all, i would honestly prefer a basha than stay there again.

I really could go on and on about how bad this place is, but u really need to get the experience yourself to believe this place lol.

Room Tip: Dont go here, or sleep in a tent u will enjoy it more!! Currently listening to the jukebox below me...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank tppugwash1
radcliffe
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed at this hotel last night with my nan and dad as we had travelled down for a funeral... After reading the reviews i was dreading it...But i was quite suprised the rooms that we had were all clean...clean bedding...just basic rooms....When i walked in my room the last people in there had left a post it note saying the hotel was scummy, well im sorry to say this person must have been a snob and at the end of the day you get what you pay for...The staff were very friendly and the young girls on the bar when we got there was extremely helpful even stayed on late for us to make us some tea....The bar is nice and cheap and the locals are funny!! If you want a cheap night then i would recommend this hotel and also they are undergoing a massive refurb at the minute...If your a snob then pay more and go somewhere posh instead of being tight and trying to ruin someones business... Thanks for a GREAT night Josie and the team!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manchster
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed with friends in June 2012.
The rooms were dirty, with mould on the wall. The shower didn't work. The communal facilities did not work (no dishwashing machine, no hot water tap).

The staff where rude and actively unpleasant, so much so that we were afraid to ask for anything. Talking to others in the village, it is apparently well known for it's poor quality service and odd staff. Avoid.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AngManc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leominster
Talbot Hotel
#2 of 12 in Hereford
The Cliffe at Dinham
The Cliffe at Dinham
#3 of 8 in Ludlow

Been to The Royal Oak? Share your experiences!