“Dissapointed”

The Merchant's House
Ranked #16 of 54 Restaurants in Leominster
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe and Evening Restaurant. Cafe open daily 8.30am - 5pm. Restaurant serving an English Cuisine on Friday and Saturday evenings. Booking advisable. Sunday Roast served 12pm - 3pm Sundays. Upper floors are home to 'Past and Present' antiques centre.
Leominster, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

we have coffee here almost every day, and deceided to spoil ourselves with lunch. My partners fish was superb, but my belly of pork was over cooked and tough and the crackling was rubbery. Not the pleasurable experience I had been looking forward to.
I f my meal had matched my partners we could have given top marks

• Visited May 2013

Hereford, United Kingdom
“Incredible food in charming surroundings”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Treated myself and my partner to a lunch over the bank holiday weekend. Sun was shining so sat in the outdoor courtyard area which was absolutely beautiful. Good quality ale and cider to drink, friendly staff, and the specials were delicious. I went for sausages (obviously sourced from a proper butcher), colcannon and black pudding and I thought it was great value for such quality food. Afterwards, I had a sponge pudding with hot cherries and icecream, and there's only one word to describe it - amazing! I certainly didn't expect to find food this good in a cafe in Leominster!

Highly recommended and will definitely be visiting again!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank AnthonyJ88
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Characterful cafe”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Needing a bite to eat on our journey we popped into Leominster and chose the Merchants House cafe. The building is attractive and clearly very old with a great deal of character. Presentation is good if a little twee. The service was attentive and helpful - the best thing about our visit. We ordered simple meals and coffees and they were pleasant enough and served fairly quickly.

One bit of character we didn't appreciate was that we were seated near the open door to the kitchen and there was clearly audible bad language coming out - you could only broadcast it after the 9pm watershed. It wasn't a problem for us but it wouldn't have been acceptable if we had very young or old people with us. I would have given it four stars without the language.

We've previously used the Wetherspoon's in the old Poat Office across the square and I think it's a better choice.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank PhilC59
“Above average prices for fairly average food.”
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We visited here at 1pm on Bank Holiday Monday, the waitress managed to fit us in after initial doubt as it seems hardly anything else is open in Leominster on Bank Holidays. After being seated, approximately 10 minutes passed before we were asked for our order. This in hindsight should of told us the time it would take to get our lunch, - a full 50 minutes at the least. Which could of been tolerated had it appeared that the staff had been in any urgency to bring out the 2 baguettes and toasted sandwich on order. The food, when it did arrive, was well presented, although my sons toastie was on the hard side and to be honest overdone. He did not finish it. We had the chicken brie and bacon, plus the steak and onion baguettes. They were indeed tasty, although for 5p short of £8 about £2 over priced. Do not think you are getting a full size baguette, - I'd estimate it was 4/5 inches long. Again, not reflected in the price. The total for our lunch with drinks was £26, a bit pricey for what were essentially sandwiches. I realise small establishments as these rely on passing trade, but also word of mouth is equally important and I do not think I will be spreading the love on this occasion.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Jammie_Roger
Newcastle-under-Lyme
“nice atmosphere and some nice food BUT....”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

nice atmosphere and some nice food, the smoked mackerel and warm salad was so nice I went out of my way to go again for the steak and ale pie. It looked lovely with big chunks of steak but the pastry and gravy were so salty the other flavours were lost. Also when i pointed out that the steamed sponge was burnt in the middle (I think it had be warmed in the microwave) it was ignored.
Choose your dish carefully!!

• Visited March 2013