“Great decor and good value”
Review of The Duke's Head

The Duke's Head
Ranked #14 of 55 Restaurants in Leominster
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Wetherspoons new Leominster pub is a happy, good value and attractive place. For those who knew the original building, the Post Office, it has become like the Tardis, small on the outside but massive inside. The range of beers is what you would expect at the usual low prices and the food is not the best but it is totally acceptable fare, well cooked and excellent value. If I were going for a great steak experience I would go elsewhere. the decor is beautifully done. The place is not dominated by tables of old boys who have been drinking larger since breakfast and there are plenty of families. We like it.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Ordered 8oz rump steak meal at £9.20. I received a small, wafer thin piece of tough meat that was certainly not rump steak. I very politely pointed out to the duty manager the difference in my 'steak' to my son-in-law's steak; mine small, tough & wafer thin like a piece of bacon, so-in-law's thick, medium cooked, juicy & succulent. Manager replied, 'It's not our fault. We are supplied with the food prepacked & labelled.' He then walked off! I have contacted Hereford Council food standards & Trading Standards Dept. Wetherspoons are clearly in breach of food & trading standards laws. Not only did I not receive my steak, but besides the piece of whatever meat for the £9.20 all that was on my plate were a few chips, a small cupful of peas & one mushroom! Disgusting!

1  Thank Ray T
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Booked Christmas lunch - arrived on time. Table was directly opposite the serving hatch so we could over hear the chef singing, nice to hear someone happy in their work.
After 1/2 hour wait we were told our starters would be 5 to 10 mins!!!! We had booked all the food previously so they knew well in advance what we wanted? This wait continued between courses - it took 2 hours to get through it! When we enquired with the waitress as to the delay she said it was because the rest of the pub was busy, but we had pre-booked our order! ( it wasn't her fault, so no point in complaining to her)
We complained to what seemed to be the bar manager - who in turn got the chef, he was having none of it and said we hadn't waited that long!!
Really bad experience - wish we had just ordered of the usual menu, we would have been fed sooner.
Standard of food - usual for a JD Wetherspoon
Service - pretty bad

1  Thank ohwellnevermind
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I took my Mum for a weekday roast at the Duke's head, we both had the roast beef dinner, cheesecake and coffee. The staff were friendly and helpful, service was good. The food was tasty and well presented, veg tasty and cooked just right, my only slight complaints were that (a) the beef was slightly burnt at the one end and hard to cut (b) there were only roast potatoes, no new/boiled/mash. The cheesecake was one of the nicest baked cheesecakes I have tasted. Overall it was good value for money and we would happily go again.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

I went with a friend to try out this new Weatherspoons in Leominster. First impression was that it's huge! There is so much room inside and it was all clean and welcoming. We went on their Tuesday 'steak' night, although the specials menu included items other than beef steak and we could also choose from the main menu - which is extensive to say the least.

The food arrived in a reasonable amount of time, around half an hour, indicating that it had been cooked to order, it was tasty and plentiful. The deal also included a drink - and there was a goof choice of soft and alcoholic drinks - plus a dessert. The place was busy but there were plenty of staff who were busy serving food, clearing tables etc. all seemed very friendly and helpful. It's not posh food, basically it is pub grub but it's good pub grub and very good value if you go on one of the special evening that are held several nights a week (steak, curry etc). A great place for a meal out with your friends or family and I would certainly go again although I live over half an hour's drive away.

1  Thank shropshiretraveller9