“Gone Downhill”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family and I used to go to the Dragon Garden regularly, the staff were always friendly, kind and talkative, the food was excellent and reasonably priced.

However a few months ago it was sold and the new owners have reduced the menu, the quality and the overall dining experience, the food is luke-warm at best, of poor quality and the service is now slow and un-friendly. Oh and did I mention they've added 20% to the price!

Other options are 'Aroma' down the road which has lots of variety but the food isn't always warm and tastes a bit cheap or 'Chinese Cottage' in St Albans which is more expensive but the food is brialiant, buffet on Sunday but the set menu is better and I still leave extremely full I recommend set menu 2

1  Thank Michael A

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Oh dear!
This place appears to have changed hands since the last visit. The carpet is gone, wooden floors there instead, and all the atmosphere has left with the carpet! We didn't recognise any of the staff and the food was different - loaded with msg giving all the sauces a claggy quality. There was nothing crispy about the crispy chilli beef, and there was no seaweed - one of my favourites. Most of the meat was rather dry especially the satay sticks and chicken wings.

There were only about 4 tables occupied and the loud and rude gentlemen on the table near us managed to empty the rest within half an hour. We were celebrating my daughter's birthday but she just wanted to leave before the man started a fight.

Very sad to see a place we once loved take such a dive. Also the charge is now £12.50 a head on a weekday eve and this applies to everyone over 8! My daughter is 12 and eats a plate of noodles and chips, and an icecream. Hardly worth £6 let alone £12!

1  Thank rosie_hodson
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We went here after a long day just to grab easy food. It is expensive compared to others and the food is all very dry and bland. Average selection but not as varied as I'd like. Fruit and veg section looked awful. Hot food was ok at best and staff are too quick to run for your plate as soon as you put your fork down. Better in Chinese places that pick it up while you get a fresh plate. Wouldn't recommend unless desperate

1  Thank Markatronix
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Food was good if limited. We haven't been for a few months but were out with friends on Saturday night and decided to eat. First things despite it being 9.30ish on a Saturday evening there were only two other people eating, we sat got our drinks and surveyed the buffet, standard fare good quality but not much of it but if we were the last customers then why waste food? there was nothing missing but everything was low. all in all ok but if that is the trade now then they will not be there for long.

1  Thank Kevin O
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Have been coming to Dragon garden since our girls were toddlers, they are now 12 and 15 and it's still our favourite Chinese.
My only criticism is that the prices have risen quite a bit recently which takes it our of our casual visit range.

Reliability is it's biggest asset, good service (it's self service but they are always topping up your teapot and generally very helpful.)Great for big groups and parties.