“The biggest rip off hotel I have ever dealt with”

Shendish Manor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Melbourne, Australia
“The biggest rip off hotel I have ever dealt with”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

As a adult family of 4 from Australia we booked 2 rooms at this hotel for 2 nights when we arrived only 1 room had been allocated. There was an issue with the toilets not flushing properly which was an extreme embarrassment to my 89 year old mother. There were 2 weddings and a birthday booked for that weekend which were extremely noisy and didn't allow us to entertain our own visitors. After we left we were charged twice for one of the rooms. Despite numerous e-mails and producing both the receipts and the bank statements nothing has happened.
I could not advise any-one to stay at this hotel as they do not respond and deal with their mistakes appropriately.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Karen M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband had visited the manor house many times in its previous life as a social venue for Dickenson's staff. This was a trip down memory lane prompted by a family wedding nearby.
We only had a one night stay but the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was up to scratch and the breakfast very good. This is a lovely setting and we enjoyed our stroll around the grounds before leaving.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stopped in the hotel recently and on first approach it looks well, however the rooms or at least the one I stayed in did have a few issues, one, the bed, I’m no giant but my feet hung off the end of the bed, making for a most uncomfortable nights sleep, and it was just me, one of my friends also had the same problem, are the people of Hemel significantly smaller than the rest of the country?!

The bathroom was also not the best, the toilet was about an inch from the wall making it difficult to use! the shower was pretty poor, in fact id have to say you had to run around to get wet.

I'm generally only really bothered about the rooms when I stay away, but will comment that the evening meal was good, I had thought that would be a good marker for my breakfast, unfortunately this was mostly cold, pretty disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for an adults bed!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at the hotel on Tuesday evening and have to say it was lovely. Great location, very quiet, clean and with lovely polite staff. Location is great as a short taxi ride and you can get on the tube at Watford and be in London 20 minutes later. Next time I will have to try the golf course!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed in Shendish Manor for one night on the 7th Oct 2013. I had planned on proposing to her on this trip and had phoned the hotel previously to tell them about this...unfortunately the person I spoke to wasn't really much help which made me worry slightly about the Hotel! As it turns out this person must have been the only bad egg in the place as all the staff during our stay were brilliant with us and looked genuinely excited about me and my partner becoming engaged!
When we arrived we were charged an additional £50.00 for room service which I wasn't banking on but I had other things on my mind at the time so just paid it! so my one piece of advice when booking here would be to make sure you have the money ready for them as I wasn't told this in any of the booking forms!
I asked for a certain room i'd seen on the websites pictures and was given it which delighted my partner as it was all very pink! The room was really nice with great views however the main light in the bathroom wasn't working...easy fix just replace the light bulb I went down and told the girl on reception and instead of changing the bulb she upgraded us to a four poster room! unreal views, the comfiest bed and a huge free standing bath! ....We were happy! After eating out on the night we came back and the two girls on reception were eager to hear how my proposal went and gave us a complimentary glass of champagne each....again very nice, We were happy!
So yeah to sum up any problems we had were sorted more than fairly, the room we ended up with was fantastic, the breakfast the next morning was really nice, the hotel itself is beautiful, the grounds are breathtaking and they helped make a very special night that little bit more special for me and my girlfriend! We are already thinking about going back there again next year!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Oldham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 2 nights about 2 weeks ago now and the experiance of the manor and grounds was gorgeous, the rooms was very spacious...BUT when i checked in i was told i was to have £50 extra taken off my bank card for room service etc which we wasnt given an option of having to not pay it and we wasnt told this prior to booking which is wrong....it was a good job i had the money in the bank or we wouldnt of been able to stay. anyway upon checking we had ordered room service the night before and we was charged £4 extra for this which wasnt even stated in the information book that is in the room... anyway the bill came to £39 and i was told the other £11 would go into my bank in 7 working days which it hasnt and i phoned them up and they are refusing to give me the money back which i think is disgusting and bad business in my opinion!! ano it isnt much but it is a joke and besides the point.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ross E
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This beautiful property could be amazing, but just fails to deliver the promise shown on arrival. I stayed in the old house, which, on a late September day was boiling hot, despite the heating being turned off. To be fair I was desperate for anywhere to stay near Watford after being let down elsewhere - the receptionist was excellent and gave me two rooms at a really good rate. On checkout when we complained about how hot the rooms were we were given a further discount. The rooms were large and very comfortable, despite having to sleep with the fan on and the windows open. Breakfast was good apart from the congealed fried eggs. The Night Manager was a gem, a happy, helpful guy, but all the staff were friendly, chatty and efficient. I would recommend it and would stay there again, but it is sad that such a beautiful property fails to live up to the promise of its setting and it seems that its beauty may be cosmetic for the benefit of stunning wedding photos.

Room Tip: despite lovely rooms, apparently the heat in the old house is a recurring problem, so maybe best to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#6 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!