“Nice setting at reasonable price”

Shendish Manor Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed here with work and was impressed with the hotel. Nice hotel grounds to relax. Rooms functional, I had a room with air con which meant it was comfortable but some of my group did not so were not so pleased, request an air con room if available. All staff were friendly and efficient, special mention to person working the night of 10/07/13, we arrived back late so it was technically the 11th July at around 3.30am and wanted a few more drinks and some food. In most hotels this is not greeted favourably and they do it reluctantly. The guy working this night was really friendly and chatty, even tried to get us a late night dominoes ordered, unfortunately they were shut but instead made us a lovely platter of sandwiches that were not on the menu. For me this kind of service really makes a hotel

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Booked last minute for a one night mid-week stay - just as a treat for me and my partner who live 150 miles apart. We were very fortunate with the most glorious weather which meant that although we arrived at the venue after 5pm we were able to enjoy the beautiful grounds until quite late. I was very impressed with the property as I approached it, really grand and the newer areas and extension haven't detracted from the original house's character.

We had a standard double in the newer part - the room was great. Nothing extraordinary but well presented, nice toiletries, hot chocolate and biscuits in the hospitality tray and a very informative hotel guide. Was nice to get a call from reception shortly after reaching from my room checking everything was ok.

We dined in the restaurant (well, on the terrace) and the food was good. My partner had the burger and I had two 'small plates' (ham terrine and whitebait). The accompaniments with each of these dishes really made them standout and they were very reasonably priced.

I guess my only slightly negative comment was the quoted price of the breakfast - £14.95 per person. This is very high, more expensive in fact than most of the items on the dinner menu. We decided to leave it...

Overall we had a great one night stay and will be back shortly for a weekend break.

Oh, and the safari part - whilst we were there we saw: rabbits, a variety of birds, bats, a Muntjac deer and the friendliest black cat in the world (other than my cat Colin who is absurd).

we'll be back...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We recently got married at Shendish Manor and it was the perfect venue, and really good value. Lovely building and furnishings, nice rooms, helpful staff, beautiful grounds and great breakfasts! Laura and the team were brilliant in helping us organise the day, and were as flexible as possible to make our day a really special one.

We had a Hindu wedding followed by and evening reception (catered externally) and wanted a country manor type venue that would allow us to do this, have all the family to stay for the weekend, could fit 200+ evening guests for a sit down meal, and Shendish worked perfectly. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Benjamin W
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Shendish Manor was our wedding venue both for the ceremony and the reception. We used the gorgeous Apsley suite for our day and stayed at the hotel several times before the event took place. The hotel is gorgeous (our favourite is room 9!) and the team are fantastic. Our day ran incredibly smoothly with no hitches whatsoever, and many of our guests commented on how lovely the venue was, how nice their hotel rooms were and also how tasty the food was!

A special mention also for Laura, our wedding coordinator - she helped us organise the most fantastic day and was always on hand to help us with our random questions. Compared to all our other suppliers for the day, Laura and Shendish were absolutely perfect and took out a great deal of pressure from the planning and organisation of the wedding.

100% recommend for a hotel stay, or if you're thinking of having your wedding here - and we can't wait to come back and visit soon. Thanks Shendish :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We hosted a family fun day for a corporate client and found the hotel to be excellent. The grounds are stunning and very well-maintained. Staff were courteous and extremely helpful and the barbecue catering was very good quality. Would recommend this venue to corporate clients looking to host similar events.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed there for one night in late June 2013. A good choice to stay in this locality if you are travelling by car (or taxi from the station is a possibilty) as the hotel is located up a long driveway. It's set in beautiful, well-maintained grounds and is very quiet and peaceful. Your night's rest is unlikely to be disturbed by car/burglar alarms or some fool with a 'sports' exhaust...I parked my car outside, a short walk from the entrance, for which I was not charged extra.

The first impression was of spotless near-luxury, with a nice floral display and pleasant smells in the foyer where I was dealt with promptly. The only jarring note was the choice of newspapers on the rack - the 'Mail' and the 'Express' together are surely duplication.

I had a room on the first floor which was spotless and very quiet. There were the usual appointments like an ironing board, hairdryer and a TV which was easy to operate. It was also nice to find a full range of powdered drinks including chocolate and decaffeinated coffee. The bathroom, spotless like verything else, was modern and had an easy-to-use shower over the bath with a tranparent screen as opposed to a walk-in shower - you have to take care getting in and out. The bed, when the time came to sleep, was on the firm side but very comfortable and I had an uninterrupted night's sleep.

The hotel has a spacious restaurant overlooking the grounds where rabbits hop gaily about, and where I ate in the evening. It was refreshing to find in an establishment of this calibre a generous triple-decker sandwich served with crisps and salad for a moderate GBP 5.50. There is more opulent fare if one so wishes, but for me it was just fine. The breakfast - buffet service -cost GBP 10 extra on my room, and was very good with one minor rservation - the plates were cold. Also a slight annoyance in the restaurant was a background of piped music with prominent percussion - its wan't loud but it somehow didn't fit and was not very restful. But I think the days when they play orchestral music in public spaces are probably gone now.

So to sum up, a beautiful, comfortable hotel. If you are coming in a car or don't mind paying for the cab, do not hesitate to come to this hotel. You will enjoy it.

Room Tip: Poor mobile phone reception in the rooms at the front of the building on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I attended a wedding at Shendish Manor hotel last year and stayed overnight at this establishment which turned out to be a wonderful decision. Considering that we were only 30+ minutes drive from heathrow airport, it really felt like we were in countryside. Fresh air, greenery and well manicured gardens. Check in facilities were friendly and prompt. Corridors leading to rooms were very clean although a bit narrow. So one had to standard close to wall to let fellow guest pass through coming from.the other side. Room decor was in keeping with a country hotel with the proverbial tea kettle and all the toiletteries were there as should be in a five star establishment. View from.my room was not that brilliant ;all I could see was stacked up folding tables. My son got his room facing the front lawns and he was really pleased. Highlight was their huge dining rooms open plan with resplendent views of lush green lawns. There were big adjacent halls where the wedding ceremony took place. It was beautiful. All in all we enjoyed our stay and wished wedding had lasted 2 days rather than one. Hotel sent us an email asking for our comments. I did have a small issue which was duly acknowledged by hotel and they informed me that steps had been taken to make good what I had pointed out.fantastic!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing inside of hotel storage areas
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!