“Fantastic wedding venue”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Herts
“Fantastic wedding venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Apologies for the tardiness of this review but myself and my husband Adam enjoyed our wedding reception at Shendish Manor in November 2012 and can highly recommend it for other couples looking for somewhere to celebrate.

Laura Banbury the wedding co-ordinator did such a fantastic job in the run up to the wedding and put me at ease at every stage, and on the day the Operations manager Gunta was on hand to make sure everything went smoothly. She was always discreetly in the background and was a reassuring support especially on such a big day - it was only towards the end of the night she told it was the first time she'd managed a wedding, and she did such a fantastic job!

The rest of the team at the hotel were always on hand if we needed them and the standard of the food during our wedding breakfast was amazing and we've had lots of comments since about it's high standard. The evening buffet food was amazing too - the layout and attention to detail was great and it went down a storm with all the guests. We had lots of guests stay overnight and no complaints from anyone - all the rooms were modern, with lots of space and just what was needed after a long day. The team at breakfast were also accommodating and we had some larger tables allocated for us all to enjoy it all together the following morning - a nice touch but perfect considering we don't see the guests very often.

All in all a fantastic stay and we wouldn't hesitate recommending this venue.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CrazyClaireHerts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We have just returned home from a wonderful relaxing weekend at Shendish Manor Hotel. Our room was tastefully furnished, comfortable, clean and very spacious. The staff were warm, cheerful, and friendly. All the staff members we met made us feel very welcome but I particularly want to mention Emma, the Duty Manager, Lucy on Reception and Mo the bar man, because I felt they 'went the extra mile' for their customers and nothing was too much trouble for them.
We stayed two nights and enjoyed two breakfasts and two evening meals. The breakfasts were of the standard expected in most hotels. The evening meals were excellent with good sized portions of beautifully cooked ingredients, well presented and excellent flavours.
We will definitely be returning to this hotel when we want another weekend break.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brenda T
Herts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

since the house has been under new management for the past couple of years Shendish has certainly improved. it is a nice place to go for an afternoon tea and is a reasonable price for what you get. I have been for one evening meal there and it was also very nice. I would recommend popping up for a drink in the summer months and then going for a stroll around the gardens.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank APSNC
Wakefield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed overnight at the Shendish Hotel 22.12.2012 and we were not dissapionted, the food was fantastic and the service was very good . We will be returning in the near future, my husband wants to play the golf there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jilc60
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Just had a birthday lunch at Shendish Manor for 32. We used the Dickinson Suite, which is a lovely oak panelled room with a large fireplace. The staff have gone out of their way to ensure the event passed off very smoothly. The food was exactly what we wanted and cooked to perfection. Guests had a choice of three different items for all three courses. Every place name had a code on it so staff did not have to ask guests what they had ordered. Service was really efficient with very little time to wait between courses. Tea and coffee were served really hot with jugs left on the table for guests to help themselves and more was available if they ran out.
Special mention must be made of Gunter, Emma and Heather, who all excelled in helping the event along, and Laura who ran the bar for us.
We are spending the night in room 9, in the older part of the Manor. It is a large room with a delightful seating area overlooking the gardens. The en-suite is huge, with a roll top bath and separate shower. Tea/coffee making facilities are in the room, and a large flat screen TV.
The hotel has a swimming pool and spa, but we did not use them on this occasion.
We will certainly use the Manor again.

Room Tip: For old fashioned charm, stay in the old Manor House. Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter. Th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Welltravelled064
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

This year I have worked out that I spent more than 60 nights in this hotel either on business, golf trips with my friends or family events.

In my life I seem to have spent a big part of it living out of a suitcase. In all that time I do not think I have found a hotel that I enjoy stopping in more than Shendish and I have stayed in some very pricey joints!.

My family, friends and work colleagues tell my I can be demanding to be a round at times. I think that is a nice way of telling me I am a pain in the neck! I suspect they are right and I also suspect I take that with me when I deal with hotel staff. They have a wonderful team there. The girls on reception are helpful and always try to assist, the ladies who manage the breakfast are charming and that’s not easy at 7.00am. The rooms are always spotless. The food particularly breakfast is exceptional. My weakness is a love of golf and I am über critical of courses and staff. The golf staff there are also excellent from the people in the bar to the folks on reception. I play at a course in the midlands that does not come cheap and I would swap our green staff for theirs. It’s not just that they keep the course tidy (it’s no Wentworth, but considering the small amount of land and it is played a lot it is it is very good), it is their attitude on the course. They always stop and smile and acknowledge you.

When you spend as much time away from home as I do it’s nice to be somewhere that feels, comfortable.

Recently whilst finishing off another week I stayed there and 5 of mates came down so we could have a night over and play a couple of rounds. Since then they have all planned to go back next year. We are going to use it has a base for local courses and a couple of them are going to use it to be a base for London trips with their wives.

What it is is an honest, nice place to stay (especially in the Manor half and worth the extra).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BirminghamBluenose
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

An average hotel that gives you a nights sleep. Nothing special or exciting. Room, bed and bathroom all average. A bit tired looking. Bar is ridiculously small and poorly attended. No room to sit or mingle. Breakfast bar ok and well stocked with bacon, sausage etc. not a good variety if you don't want a fry up.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel
#2 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,682 reviews
Aubrey Park Hotel
Aubrey Park Hotel
#8 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!