“Challenging Course”

Shendish Manor Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Enjoyed a round on this course which we found challenging (in a good way!). Pleasant bar and communal areas with very friendly & helpful staff. Picturesque course, with a great signature hole (the 8th).

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
shendishmanager, General Manager at Shendish Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you for your comments Jennifer. Now, where would the fun be if the course wasn’t challenging?!? Great to hear you had an enjoyable visit and hope to see you at Shendish Manor again soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Recent had a golf weekend with large group of gents from the golf club.
Plesent enough stay but golf course short and in poor condition - story or two nines one half (original) good and the other nine (extension) very average.
Hotel trying to do too many things golf, (no full time green keeper) weddings, conferences and just a normal hotel. Unfortunatley had not mastered any.
Food was good, room clean and well presented.
The staff were all friendly and efficent but general consensus is we will not be rushing back.

Room Tip: Fitness centre and swimming pool at virgin down the road
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

It’s a great shame to hear you won’t be rushing back with us Paul, if I can change this in anyway please do not hesitate to get in contact with me directly at the hotel.

I’m pleased to hear all of the team came across friendly and efficient. In regards to the golf I am surprised with your comments as we always receive such positive feedback with the course conditions however I always want to improve all areas so if you could give me any further details on this I would appreciate your comments so I can pass on your feedback to our team of green keepers. We do have full time green keepers, in fact our Head Green keeper has worked at Shendish Manor for over 20 years.

I hope I can sway your decision and hopefully you will return to us for a golf weekend in the future.

Many thanks

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Knowing the Hotel well (and the Golf Course even better!), We held our Daughters Birthday Party last Friday. From the intial enquiry, the Management and Staff were extremely accomodating and understanding. The location of the Hotel and it's decor gave a wonderful setting for her Birthday Party, she didn't stop smiling all night!. We had visitors from Canada, Wakefield and Nottingham who all stayed at the Hotel (some have done so on numerous occasions before) and they all had a great time. Food was excellent, and the Staff on the night couldn't help us enough.
This Hotel has undergone an amazing transformation over the last couple of years and so has the Golf course and its increasing popularity and the growing golf membership are testiment to the hard work and investment.
The Golf Club here is extremely friendly and relaxed and the course offers a test for golfers of all ability. Well worth a visit!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul H

Thank you Paul for this glowing review. I’m glad to see the changes we have made over the last three years from taking ownership of Shendish Manor are starting to pay off. We have heavily invested in the golf course throughout the years to get it back to its high standard that it once was many years ago and the number of members, golf breaks and pay and plays we now have shows we must be doing something right!

Great to hear your daughter’s birthday party was such a success and a good time was had by all. I look forward to hosting your next family occasion.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Only stayed one night but it was great. The staff were all extremely helpful from the minute we arrived and very friendly. They could not do enough for us and we ould see how patient they were with other guests!

We ate in the restaurant in the evening from the set menu, there was a la carte and also bar menu to chose from, which had a good selection and the quality was first class. The restaurant itself was well laid out and the candles and table decor made it special.

Breakfast itself was self service and had everything you could wish for. Cheese, meats, full English, croissants, bread, cereal, fresh fruit, toast and endless coffee and tea.

The grounds are well maintained and even though it was chilly we had a walk after breakfast.

All in all a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: room 53 is on the first floor and overlooks the area where they wheel thebed linen trolleys into to...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments Dennis. I’m so pleased you had a first class experience as this is that we aim to deliver day in, day out. Hopefully you’ll return to us in the near future for another fantastic experience.

Many thanks

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here for two nights 24 Oct / 25th Oct whilst working away from home. I was offered this hotel after having had a poor experience at the Ramada in Hemel the previous week. What a total difference, on arrival I was met by a very able receptionist who quickly got me booked in and directed me to my room. The room was spacious clean and had all I needed for my brief stay. Due to the location of this Hotel there was no outside noise, just the ticket when working away from home.

I went to the restaurant and again was met by very willing staff who ensured I had all I wanted. The menu choice was a little limited, however the food was very good and not too long to wait.

Although not there to enjoy the surroundings, I could of been a million miles away from the hussle and bussle of city life. The Hotel is situated in vast gardens and teh Golf course, no traffic noise.

If you are working away then this is an ideal hotel if you enjoy quiet nights.

I am there again next week, enough said.....

Room Tip: No issues..
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay enough to book with us for the following week, I hope your second stay was just as pleasant. Thank you for returning and I hope you have many good visits to come in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Beautful grounds, good food at the restaurant and the rooms were spacious and clean. I had no problems with the bathroom like some people seem to have had - it had a toilet, a sink, a bah/shower and was clean, what more do you need?

Have stayed here a couple of times when working away and have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

The only (minor) with the hotel is that you deither need a car or a taxi to get to it, especially if you have lots of luggage or arrive in the dark. Other than that it's a pleasant enough place to while away your evening :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Our beautiful grounds are defiantly one of our unique selling points so thank you for recognising this. It’s great to hear you also enjoyed all other aspects of your stay; the staff included and this is exactly what we want our guests to experience; friendly and helpful attitude.

Thank you for this review and I hope to welcome you back to Shendish Manor in the near future.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel a number of times and in it's favour, the restaurant with the view across the gardens in very nice; the reception and meeting rooms are also very nice. Not so nice is no hot water in the rooms in the morning on two seperate occassions; pitifully small portions on the set menu in the restaurant in the evening and very poorly trained/unpleasant staff in the restaurant. Ground floor bedrooms at the far end of the wing to the right of reception have a road running directly in front of them which, while not used much, can be noisy when a van or the like goes past.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AverageJoTraveller

I know hot water has cropped up on here a couple of times but be rest assured this is not a regular occurrence. Our boilers are regularly maintained and on the odd occasion we have been very unfortunate where something has broken down which we have done our best to get repaired straight away causing minimal damage as possible. I am very sorry if your stay was affected by our misfortune and I sincerely hope if you stay with us in the future you won’t experience this again. Since your last stay we have revamped our management team and customer service is defiantly on the up and you will experience a much more experienced team.

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford

Been to Shendish Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!