1,023 results
All reviewsgolf courseafternoon teanew winglovely groundsgolf breakgolf cluborangery restaurantsconesbridal suitelovely hotelwedding breakfastwedding venuecourse dinnerfour posterwedding receptionlovely roomchristmas party
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here for a two night stay and I could not recommend this hotel to anyone. The room in the new part was clean and basic and the receptionist on arrival was very helpful and friendly. We ate in the restaurant on the first night, but no atmosphere, and food very salty. Breakfast the next morning was one of the worst I had experienced at any hotel. Dirty plates in the warmer that were cold, very little food left, what was left was cold and covered in grease, coffee bitter and not drinkable. We did try to speak to someone but our complaint did not seem to be taken seriously. It seems sad that a place with such alot of potential and some friendly staff seems to have got it so wrong.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Booked a room last minute on the Friday ngiht for the Saturday-just to get away from the humdrum for a night.. found this hotel online-on their website they had a 'Simply Summer' special- 1 nights stay, 3 course dinner and breakfast for £110, which I booked.

Arriving at the hotel- the building itself is beautiful, very grand. The receptionist was nice enough- Im quite particular about customer service but she was ok. We were booked into the new part of the hotel, which was finished to a high standard. The room was nice- large, clean and comfortable. One thing I did notice was the bed was far too small- it seemed to be a small double, me and my boyfriend (who is 6"7!) both commented that there was more than enough room for a king/queen size bed- the double bed looked a little lost!

We had dinner at the hotel- both of us thoroughly enjoyed it, the food was beautiful. The service in the restaurant was ok, again- not great.
However- When it came to the bill, they charged us for the entire dinner plus our drinks (w the Simply Summer deal we should have had £25 taken off). I questioned it so the waitress wen to check and came back to say she had us booked under Room Only. She said that no one else was there who could sort it out, but I could recitfy it at check out the next day. The whole thing got sorted at reception, the next day, we were refunded- the manager Emma was very helpful. However its one of those things you could have done without!

Overall, we both enjoyed our stay here, and would stay here again. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted a night away to relax!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I must admit that, upon arrival, I was overwhelmed by the grounds, the gardens and the building itself. That good impression continued upon check-in. The process was fast and simple and the satff nice and courteous. However, that impression started to fade away that same evening at the restaurant where we had booked a table. The food was passable (even though a bit salty) but I was unpleasantly surprised with the lack of professionalism (not to say competence) of the staff. It was noticeable that most of the restaurant staff hadn't much experience but, most of all, they where more occupied preparing the room for next day's breakfast than attending to the clients' needs that were still ordering and eating. All our queries/demands where met without a simple smile! Exception be made to the restaurant manager (Gunte) who was really nice and helpful but couldn't all by herself do all the work and control her staff's work at the same time.
The room was large and simple but the bed was hard and small (we had booked a king size bed and we ended up in a small version of a quenn size bed!) and the WC too close to the wall. We almost had to sit sideways! On the second day, the housecleaning swept superfluously the bathroom, changed the towels and made the bed. The baskets weren't emptied. Worst of all, they left the window wide open. Being of the ground floor, access from the exterior was easy and our stuff could have been messed up with. Fortunately the only visitors we had were the huge mosquitoes that attacked us that same night. Housekeeping staff was not nicer than the restaurant staff. Not even a simple "Good morning" when they crossed the clients' path on the corridors.
Breakfast was very poor for that type of establishment. On the third and last day of our stay (Sunday), there was no more bread 30 minutes before the end of the breakfast period (10h00)and the pastries where long gone, so we heard from other complaining customers. My scrambled eggs were condimented with a generous amount of... egg shells! The hotel was almost fully booked and yet the food was not enough. At the end, we were disappointed that the service didn't live up to the expectations created by the surrondings that are really pretty and well maintained. I've stayed in hotels less classy and much less expensive but that have a much better service. I won't be coming back, that's for sure!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We arrived at Shendish Manor for a wedding (outside caterers),no assistance with bags,We booked a SUPERIOR room !!! .The room was dirty with very stained carpets,the bathroom door was full of fingerprints and marks (we cleaned most of with toilet paper) the wardrobe door fell off! the lighting was poor no dressing table or large mirror for dressing.(a miror was brought up when I complained) dust all around the lights etc.When I complained on leaving there was no very sorry just "i will make a note of it" I paid and will never stay there or reccomend this hotel to anyone.and the breakfast was cold.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Barry900
shendishmanager, General Manager at Shendish Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for your constructive review and I’m sorry you feel like you cannot recommend our hotel based on your recent stay with us. If you look through other reviews, on a whole we receive excellent feedback and what you experienced was a ‘one off’. We very rarely have issues with the cleanliness of our bedrooms but thank you for highlighting this, your points have been addressed with my housekeeping team. I hope you would re-consider coming back to us, if you did, please get in contact with myself through sales@shendish-manor.com and I will personally see to it that your next visit will be a great experience.

Kind regards

James Barker
Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Obtained a great golf deal via Your Golf Travel - £49 1 nights B&B plus 2 rounds of golf - fantastic deal! Stayed with friends who had stayed before but in a luxury room. Due to the price, we didn't expect much but the rooms was lovely - very well designed with comfortable beds, great decor and one of the best showers I've ever had in a hotel.Only problem for us was that it was extremely hot that night and there was no air-con. Also didn't realise that we could move the restrictors on the sash windows to open them fully so had a very hot uncomfortable night - might be an idea to have a notice advising how windows could be opened - or better still have air-con!
The hotel was lovely - two weddings were being held there on the day we arrived but this didn't affect the service at all. The golf course was good and we enjoyed two rounds of golf on one of the hottest weekends of the year.
Bar at the golf club was very small and the choice of food limited but adequate. Very helpful lady on golf reception but bar staff had a poor attitude. Only issue I had was that on booking, I had asked to book golf buggies for both days. When we arrived, buggies had been booked for the Sunday but not the Saturday - we were lucky enough to obtain the last two buggies available. This was slightly annoying as I had double checked that they would be available before arriving but the lady at reception was apologetic and as we had two days of great golf, this was a minor inconvenience.
We didn't eat in the hotel that night as we were not asked at reception on checking in if we would like a table for dinner; we mistakenly thought that the restaurant would not be open due to the weddings taken place and ate out. However when we arrived back later, we realised that we could have had a meal -if reception staff had made us aware we would have eaten in. However we did have breakfast the next morning and this was very good.
Overall an excellent break and would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends