“Gales stopped the sausages”

Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights, one being the night of the big wind which blew down trees. This stopped the delivery lorry trying to get our breakfast sausages to us. The staff showed initiative and went to the supermarket to buy a supply so we wouldn't starve! We were impressed by their determination to ensure we had a proper breakfast. The room was comfortable and I would certainly stay here again. Parking can be a challenge.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and thank you for your understanding on the morning of the storm. We have put new procedures in place since this incident to ensure that our breakfast stock levels are sufficient for mishaps such as this. I am sorry to hear that parking was a challenge for you during your stay. Unfortunately we cannot always accommodate all of our guests vehicles in our car park so we do offer more parking spaces in the adjacent pub and in the overflow areas marked PSP.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed here overnight to visit London and then Harry Potter. The hotel is very conveniently near to a railway station and has plenty of parking. We were able to leave the car in the morning, when we arrived ( and could have left our luggage in the hotel rather than the boot of the car if we had wanted to) to go into London on the half hourly service. Much easier than staying in central London!
The beds were really comfortable, the room had air conditioning, everything was spotlessly clean and fresh and we had very friendly service from the staff. There is a pleasant looking pub next door,overlooking the canal. We wished we had eaten there as the meal we had in London was no great shakes.
Breakfast the following morning was excellent. I shall definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Julie, thank you for your review and your lovely feedback about your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that we made your stay enjoyable and we provided a great service to you and your family. We do hope you enjoyed your trip to Harry Potter!
Hopefully we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Really great value and a direct train into Wembley Central. Perfect for going to an event at Wembley, considering the train is less than £10, there is free parking, breakfast etc.. We used this before going to the Sarecens V Toulouse game at Wembley and it work perfectly.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Lauren, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Its great to hear that you found our hotel conveniently located to travel into Wembley and our hotel worked perfectly for you.
I do hope you will come and visit us again on your next trip to Wembley!
Regards,

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here recently for 1 night, whilst visiting the near by Warner Bros Harry Potter studio tours.
Prior to our stay I was a little concerned at the number of negative reviews about this particular hotel. However having stayed at a number of Holiday Inn express hotels across the UK, I was well aware of what to expect, and I was not disappointed
Firstly as a number of reviews mention, the hotel location is ideal, just across the road is Aspley train station with connections for London & Wembley, there’s a pub just a short stroll away, there’s several pub’s, a McDonalds and a large Sainsbury’s supermarket within walking distance in the near by Aspley village, if you turn right (heading towards Watford/London) as you leave the hotel there’s several pub’s serving food that looked quite appealing when driving past.
As for the hotel, well everything was spot on, check in was quick and simple (was impressed by the courtesy call to check everything was ok), whilst checking in I noticed a table with extra tea/coffee/sugar etc for guests to help them selves to (looks like this was from feedback in reviews ??) we had a room on the 5th floor, the corridor looked bright and clean (looked and smelt like it had been recently painted), as a number of people appear to mention, yes the room was a little tight for space, but it wasn’t that much of a problem. The room itself was clean, comfortable and modern. Also there is extra “free” parking if you read the notices around the hotel and in the hotel guide book
Breakfast was great with a wide choice of everything on offer from the continental cereal, yogurts, fruit, pastries, muffins etc, to the English hot breakfast options as well as hot & cold drinks.
It goes to show how feedback works, as one thing I used to mention in the hotel reviews was the breakfast would be so much better with a few Hot English options (e.g sausage, egg etc) going by some of the comments in the reviews here, the hotel has also acted and taken them on board e.g. extra free tea/coffee available in the reception area, a courtesy call to check everything was ok in the room.
Overall very impressed and would stay here again and would recommend others to stay as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your stay and about your experience during your visit to us. I am so pleased that you found the hotel to be spot on, clean and comfortable and in a great location for local amenities. I have shared your lovely feedback to the team who are so pleased that despite you reading some negative reviews you were not disappointed. We do hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Nice rooms clean and tidy no complaints here. We had forgotten out toothbrushes and when asked for the complimentary ones were told none available so. The day after requested other complimentary items which also they had none. Not good baring in mind the notice in the bathroom reminding you these could be requested.

Breakfast was limited but nice..... The area containing the food is way too small for the amount of people and quite dangerous with people bumping into each other with hot food and drinks. This is constructive criticism , maybe have a queue system which I have expiriences in many hotels in London to limit the flow of.people or move the drinks elsewhere in the dining room.

Overall though a good stay for the price. And do shop around I was told by the hotel when enquiring about rates there's would be the cheapest and they don't sell out to other companies. Be aware that they do as we got a cheaper deal through an online travel company so shop around !!!!!!!! Feel mislead express holiday inn !!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Maz57SouthYorkshire, thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am extremely sorry to hear that we had run out of the 'forgotten something' toothbrush and toothpaste and for the other item you had also requested. We will ensure our ordering of these items is looked at to ensure we have sufficient stock in future. I am pleased to hear that you liked our rooms and breakfast and thank you for the feedback on the queue system which we will be sure to look into. May I also apologise that you were mis led with the information with your booking - we do offer a best price guarantee so I will be looking into this after your feedback from your stay.
Thank you again and we do hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Staying here from 13 oct to 19 Oct 13 for a business trip.

Location wise good, across the road is Apsley station and you can go directly to Euston (30 mins) and go around central of London.
Also walkable to Sainsbury hypermart.
Peaceful place to rest.

Standard room and standard bath room, although they have problem with the drainage for the shower, it always stagnant and need to wait few minutes until the water can flow to the drain.
Because whole day outside, so I didn't bother much to comment and ask to change room. I think you can fixed the drainage on room 232 please.

The tv channel also not much, but still viewable.

They clean the room everyday.

WIfi connection not bad, the speed still in the average.

Breakfast everyday is the same, so after 2 days i started to eat my cup noodles.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mikhairov, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.. I'm am pleased that you found our location to be convenient for the station and local amenities. Thank you for advising us of your room number - we have already looked at the drainage in that room to ensure that this is now cleared. I am sorry that you did not like the options available on our free breakfast buffet offering and do hope this will not deter you from using Holiday Inn Express in the future.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here the weekend of the 19th. Prebooked on the internet and entered my card details incorrectly I received a call 2 days before my stay from an incredibly rude person saying if I hadn't paying by 5 my room would be cancelled. Checked my bank rang back and realised my mistake. The call could have been handled much better. I said I hadn't got any calls from this number. I was told in no uncertain terms I had recorded 2 calls! When we got to the hotel we were given a key. No hello no directions on how to find the room (granted an idiot can follow signs) but it's nice to be pointed in the right direction. The room itself was clean and comfy enough. The bathroom was a nightmare not sure if they were all like this but ours had a hideous plastic shower seat and was a wet room. The wet room bit is fine until you slip and you have water all over the bathroom. because the shower seat sticks out so far you wollop the seat if you get to close to the shower. I had a 'river facing room' nice and quiet :) and a big thumbs up to the maids who were nice and quiet no loud voices and no banging trolleys :) breakfast was free but crap. No real choice. All there was hot wise was sausage. Beans and scramble egg. Granted your bot going to please everyone but more choice would have been better. We sacked breakfast of for mcdonalds the second morning. When we checked out the woman serving was also unfriendly. She didn't ask how out stay was nor did she seam to care.
Location wise ideal. Easy to get to and down the road from sainsbury. And a pub over the road which looked nice enough.
We paid 90 for 2 nights if I had paid full price 125 ( or there abouts) I would be wanting a hell of a discount this isn't a 125 quid a room it's a 50 pound room at most. It's basic and the staff don't care. If you want a place to lay your heAd that's fine but if you want someone to say hello and your stomach full the next morning don't bother.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Ruthadie09
DeputyGM2013, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Good afternoon Ruth,

Sorry you didn't enjoy your recent stay.

We fully accept and take on board the points you have raised, which I am currently looking into and hope after today during our monthly meeting they will no longer prove a problem for our valued guests.

Thank you for the time taken to list your experience and I hope it doesn't deter you from using the brand IHG Hotels for any forthcoming experiences.

Should you want to discuss this matter further please contact me direct at the hotel.

Michael

Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead? Share your experiences!