“Not as good as it has been.”

Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
Leicester
“Not as good as it has been.”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I use this hotel regularly and can only mirror some of the comments seen from other users.
Generally it is a good hotel and Value for money, however, small things seem to let it down.
Parking is good though in the week it can get busy I have always been able to get a space but have noticed guests arriving later may not be so lucky and though I have never seen tickets/clamps used in the papermill car park - it's just something else to worry about.
The hot water still takes an age to come through especially in the morning when it has not been running - not sure if the higher numbered rooms are slower.
My meal was OK I couldnt be bothered to eat out so chose from the menu and ate in the restaurant, the first three tables I went to were dirty and had drink "rings" on them - forgiveable if busy - but there were only a family of 4 at 1 other table so it was quiet - so the tables hadn't been cleaned for some time....I did bring this to the managers attention and he was very polite and apologetic.
Salt and pepper should be out on the tables? at any rate I didn't feel I should have to ask - perhaps I am being a little picky here.
Room was clean and comfortable and though I was on the side with the road I didn't find sleeping a problem the noise was low though so I guess if you are a light sleeper facing the car park would be better.
Not sure if I will continue to use this Hotel in future, there are other options in the area, but the Paper Mill pub has always been the deciding factor. ;-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to feedback about your recent stays here at the Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead. I am sorry to hear of the problems you have encountered and I would very much like to speak to you personally so that I can find out a little more information especially regarding the hot water to your rooms so that I can get this investigated. I would also like to apologise personally regarding the issues you have experienced as this is not an acceptable level of service that our guests should be receiving. My email is gm@expresshemel.co.uk, I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Yours sincerely,
Suzannah Richardson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Upon arrival to the hotel, we checked in quickly and went straight to our room. The room was adequate for our needs, and nice and clean. The hotel is opposite Apsley train station, where we got the train to Euston and spent the afternoon in the capital. It is also next to a pub called The Paper Mill, which was superb, and we enjoyed a lovely meal in the evening. Our main reason for staying was to go to the Warner Bros Studio tour, which we were about ten minutes from. All in all the hotel was great for us as it was so close to the tour. The only slight negative for us was the complimentary breakfast. The continental food and cereal was nice, and the same as other Holiday Inn Express breakfasts, but the hot breakfast was disappointing in taste and quality. However that said, it still filled us up ready for a day of sightseeing. All in all it is a good hotel that I would still recommend for its exceptional value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Clawdeer
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I booked a month in advance and got a room for three people, on a Saturday night, for £40!

Clean, modern, ample free parking, comfortable and quiet rooms. Directly opposite Apsley station (literally across the road) where a train will take you into Central London in 30 minutes.

Breakfast is the same as at every other Holiday Inn Express in the UK - not the best quality but it sets you up well enough for the day. Can't grumble really - if you don't like the sausages, go for toast or cereal!

Will definitely be staying here again when in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank matteh-2006
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

The Holiday Inn Express in Apsley, Hemel Hempstead appart from breakfast, ticked all the important boxes for me. A warm and responsive welcome at reception, a well furnished, well maintained clean and comfortable room, quiet and away from the lift exactly as requested. At £77 inc breakfast, I also thought it good value for money.

Free WiFi was a welcome bonus. If I had planned to work from the hotel then I would expect to pay. However, the opportunity to catch up on my personal emails inclusive of my room rate was very welcome and a serious incentive to choose this HIE again.

Breakfast was a little mediocre, the hot breakfast comprising only sausage, (2 lots neither labeled, were they the same?) Scrambled egg and baked beans. No meet and greet as you arrived, only important if this is your first visit or you wanted to query the sausage medly.

Except for breakfast,I didn't use the restaurant facilities as I was aware that within a very short walking distance is a cracking Indian Restaurant, or, if you prefer, a pub and bar food. Tuesday nights at the Marina Spice Lounge they have a special offer on, £9.99 for a starter and main course. This is much better value than the hotel and regardless, would recommend that you try it.

The HIE at Apsley, Hemel Hempstead is possibly the best I have stayed in. If you are reading reviews because you are undecided, I highly recommend you give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ange1o-Custode
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We were going out with friends in Berkhamstead last month, so stayed here for one night at a bargain £39 per room including breakfast. The car park was free and the station is opposite the hotel, so we whizzed into Berkhamstead within 10 mins I think.

Although it was a bit of a feeding frenzy at breakfast time, with kids that should be strapped down putting their hands all over things, it was still terrific value. Admittedly, I don't think the kitchen staff could wash the coffee cups quick enough, so hot drinks were off the menu unless you were prepared to elbow your way to the front of the crockery mosh pit.

I would certainly stay again if I could get it at the same rate. I'd think again if I had to pay full price.

And by the way, the pub just outside by the canal also does a mean chip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHemel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear guest, thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you were able to book one of our special offer rates for your stay and you found us conveniently located. I am also pleased you were able to take a walk out of the hotel to the nearby canal and experience the Papermill pub. I am sorry to hear that breakfast was busy and that you were unable to get a hot drink during breakfast. We are a family friendly hotel and due to the self service element at breakfast this area can get a little busy and I am sorry if this affected your stay in any way.
If you do need to book again then please do not hesitate to contact us, there are regular offers that run throughout the year so please do keep a look out for these. We do hope we can welcome you back again in the future.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here for one night and although it is all pretty basic (it is a Holiday Inn after all) it's very clean and modern and has everything you need. Our room had a grass bunker just outside the window, so you did feel like you were underground a bit but can't be helped. The only slightly weird thing was how the door of the bathroom also doubled up as the loo door... But apart from that, all very handy and the location is great (literally across the road from the station).

Try the Paper Mill pub on the lock - gorgeous!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for leaving feedback regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead. I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel to be clean and modern, and in a handy location for Apsley train station. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night. I think it must have been quite considering the rate that our corporate Tavel agent got the room for (around €40) and you could actually get a space in the main car park. I got a room at the back which was much quieter than those facing the road.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, I am pleased you found our hotel of value for your stay and that you had a good experience. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, Jct.8
Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1, ...
#7 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
#5 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Jurys Inn London Watford
Holiday Inn Express London-Watford Junction
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead? Share your experiences!