“Good Indian with some different dishes”
Review of The Pepper Hut - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I went to this restaurant in Old Hemel last Saturday, I have been to this restaurant many times before and have always enjoyed the food. It used to be completely different from other Indian Restaurants as they specialised in Kerala food. They have had to change the menu to cope with the static British taste for the type of dishes you can get in every other Indian restaurant - however they have kept some of the original menu options - where else can you get a Masala or Ravi Doza in Hertfordshire?
Good food - my only complaint is regarding the size of the side dishes e.g. the Sag Aloo we ordered was very small. Would still recommend it though.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Best curry we have had in ages. The choice was excellent - loads of unusual dishes. The food was really tasty and not full of fat like so many curries. Excellent and will be back soon.

1  Thank Andrea U
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Since changing it's name from Cochin to Pepper Hut they have also changed the menu and it is no way as good as it was. I have been going to this restaurant with my husband and children for at least 7 years, the food was always unique, really tasty, we visited last month but were disappointed to find it has gradually drifted into the standard Indian more like Pakistani/Bangladesh rather than the South Indian we love. It's a big shame but I'm now on the look out for a different South Indian restaurant and they have lost 5 customers.

1  Thank michelle G
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Pepper Hut (formerly the "Cochin") specialises in south Indian food, particularly fish. I've not found this style anywhere else and it's done well. Try the things that you don't know. If you're disappointed, I'd be surprised. Helpings are good, service also.

The slightly cramped dining areas don't detract too much from the food, helped by the light decor (not a sight of red flock wallpaper!). Personally, I choose quieter evenings, so no problem for me and it's also possible to park nearby.

Good value for money and I'll be back.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

A great, small Indian restaurant. The choice of made-here chutneys that come with the papadums MUST be tried. 6 types--5 made in-house. Service very eager, but (as with many Indian restaurants) not always faultless due to imperfectly understood requests--but no big deal. The food is the thing. Nice ambience. Loos in basement a bit dungeon-like--but the food is the thing.

Next time, I plan to try the set-price 9.99 dinner--looks a good deal ( my meal for one was UKL 15)

1  Thank Willspen